Author Topic: Is Acetaminophen Effective for Osteoarthritis?  (Read 623 times)

rangerrebew

Is Acetaminophen Effective for Osteoarthritis?
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:05:32 pm »
 Is Acetaminophen Effective for Osteoarthritis?

Laurie Saloman
Reviewed by QualityHealth's Medical Advisory Board

For many people, a dose of acetaminophen (sold as Tylenol) has always been the first line of defense against pain of any kind. And while it may be effective for certain conditions, a recent analysis of 74 different studies found that acetaminophen lagged behind other drugs when it came to providing relief to osteoarthritis sufferers.

A team of researchers at the University of Bern in Switzerland studied the effects of 22 different medications prescribed to people with osteoarthritis, a progressive condition that affects about 27 million Americans, according to the Arthritis Foundation. This very common condition is caused by wear and tear on the joints that leads to the breakdown of cartilage and bone-on-bone rubbing. The resulting pain and loss of physical function can hamper daily activity.

https://www.qualityhealth.com/arthritis-articles/acetaminophen-effective-osteoarthritis

Offline Applewood

Re: Is Acetaminophen Effective for Osteoarthritis?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:31:43 pm »
Well, I can't take other non-prescription pain relievers like Aleve or Advil and prescriptions like Oxy make me feel like [expletive], so Tylenol is all I have.  Actually, it works ok for me, but my pain is not as bad as some people's. 

By the way, aspirin makes gouty arthritis worse. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:50 pm »
Colchicine is $5 a pill here.
I get can get it in Canada via online for 49 cents a pill. Go figure.

Fish oil and Glucosomine seem to help the arthritis.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »
If ind one acetaminophen and one ibuprofin taken together does the trick for my sciatica when I play golf.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 07:57:53 pm »
Tylenol can kill you, by destroying the liver. So be very, very careful !!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:12:31 pm »
Tylenol does nothing for me...Advil does work but since I have had 4 ulcers caused by it I seldom use it...I have all kinds of pain pills but then again I rarely use them as I don't like the way they make me feel..I have resorted to steroid injections  :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:14:50 pm »
Tylenol can kill you, by destroying the liver. So be very, very careful !!

Yes, I've heard that.  But I think the problem comes from taking too many above the recommended dose.

Really, though, I don't take it too often.  I prefer to tough it out. I try to be like my paternal grandmother.  She never took meds of any kind. Doctors would prescribe something, and Grandma either threw out the prescription, or fought anyone who tried to force her to take something.   Grandma lived to be 90, so maybe she was smarter than the rest of us.   

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:52 pm »
Tylenol does nothing for me...Advil does work but since I have had 4 ulcers caused by it I seldom use it...I have all kinds of pain pills but then again I rarely use them as I don't like the way they make me feel..I have resorted to steroid injections  :shrug:

Steroids are effective, but alas, they send my blood sugars through the roof.  Didn't know that till once, a doctor prescribed steroids in pill form following throat surgery.  Took one pill and my blood sugar went so high, the glucometer couldn't read it.  That was enough.  The steroids were supposed tom help me heal better and/or faster.  I healed without them.