Author Topic: Slideshow: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat  (Read 3182 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Slideshow: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 08:52:11 pm »
Bear in mind that we're literally having to tell people not to eat Tide pods.
:silly:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 09:10:45 pm »
:silly: :silly: :silly:
 :beer:

Worst I ever had was my first dog named Charlie (Had 3 with that name) He chewed up a ball of yarn... got sick as hell (though I didn't know why) a day later he shat part of it out the back and barfed the rest out the front... Still connected in the middle.

Then the question is, which end to pull from??
Turned out I had to pump him full of oi to grease everything up, and it hung up trying to pull it out the front... So that decided that... There's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

There's how much I loved that dog.
I'd never do that for a friend.  :shrug:

My nephew has a beagle named Geddy (after Geddy Lee – he’s a huge Rush fan).

Geddy is the sweetest dog and great with the kids but sometimes not so bright. He has to be crated whenever they leave the house for any extended period or else he will gorge himself on any cat poop in the litter box and poop on the floor, generally get into trouble. They put old bath towels in his crate not only for comfort but also in case he pees or poops in his crate as he sometimes does.  He also has the bad habit of chewing on the towels.

One day while I was staying with them, Geddy seemed not himself, he was breathing sort of weird and pacing around. Suddenly he started vomiting and my great niece Cecilia came running to me screaming "Geddy’s dying, he’s throwing up blood!”

I went into the kitchen to find him throwing up what at first thought was his stomach and intestines as there was a bright red lump of something very disgusting  and slimy on the floor. 

It turned out it was a red bath towel that he’d eaten while in his crate the day before.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 09:12:09 pm »
Anything in the onion family, so garlic too.   They cause liver damage and the amount depends on the dog. 

There are lists of foods bad for dogs, even lethal.

Alcohol, my dog loves beer but I cant give it to him anymore
Avocado
Coffee, Chocolate, Caffeine
citrus,
coconut
grapes
macadamia nuts
milk
nuts

Pretty sure there's no issue with citrus or coconut for dogs.  And peanuts are fine for dogs.

There are three different main groups of avocados. One type is fine for dogs, in fact there is a dog food that is based on that type of avocado called AvoDerm.  The other two are toxic.  I think the three groups are West Indian, Mexican and Guatemalan.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:25 pm »
Pretty sure there's no issue with citrus or coconut for dogs.  And peanuts are fine for dogs.

There are three different main groups of avocados. One type is fine for dogs, in fact there is a dog food that is based on that type of avocado called AvoDerm.  The other two are toxic.  I think the three groups are West Indian, Mexican and Guatemalan.

@RoosGirl
You just had to argue didnt you.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 09:14:46 pm »
@RoosGirl
You just had to argue didnt you.

@driftdiver

Just correcting your wrong information.... as usual.  :laugh:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:44 pm »
This story tells me what a dog shouldn't eat, but what type of dog is good to eat? I've got a dinner party this weekend and a neighbor with a terrier that won't shut up.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:45 pm »
It turned out it was a red bath towel that he’d eaten while in his crate the day before.

Whew!
That made it better...
Sorta.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 09:16:16 pm »
@driftdiver

Just correcting your wrong information.... as usual.  :laugh:

@RoosGirl  22222frying pan

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 09:19:55 pm »
This story tells me what a dog shouldn't eat, but what type of dog is good to eat? I've got a dinner party this weekend and a neighbor with a terrier that won't shut up.

@Frank Cannon
I lived in Korea for 3 years.  Do you really want to know?

I went up into the mountains one time.   Visited a Buddhist temple that was 2000 years old.  We stopped at this roadside place.   They had this large covered platform about 40x50ft.   You grabbed one of those short tables and kinda sat there in the open air.   As it was in the mountains it was beautiful.    We ordered roast chicken.   The guy walked around the eating platform over to a large fenced area, with chickens, ducks, goats, a couple cows and dogs.    he grabbed two chickens and walked back to the kitchen.

They looked like happy dogs, probably because we didnt order them.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:21:36 pm by driftdiver »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 09:21:13 pm »

Terriers are usually on the smaller side.  Depending on the size of your dinner party, you may have to supplement with some cuy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuy

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
Whew!
That made it better...
Sorta.

It really scared me at first until I looked closer and saw it was a red bath towel and not his bloody guts because at first glance, that's what it looked like, but then I got scared that he'd actually eaten a whole bath towel. But my nephew's wife just shrugged and said, "he does that sometimes".

When I was a kid we a Boxer who loved to eat the tinsel off the Christmas tree. And when he'd poop, often there were several strands of tinsel left hanging out of his but that someone, often my mom who was not happy about it, would have to pull out. My dad used to laugh and say "he's just being festive".
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »
Terriers are usually on the smaller side.  Depending on the size of your dinner party, you may have to supplement with some cuy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuy

@RoosGirl

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 09:43:45 pm »
@RoosGirl

No thanks.  I already have 3 between 50 - 70 lbs each.  Ugh, I don't think my sweet old girl is going to be with us much longer though.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 09:44:41 pm »
When I was a kid we a Boxer who loved to eat the tinsel off the Christmas tree. And when he'd poop, often there were several strands of tinsel left hanging out of his but that someone, often my mom who was not happy about it, would have to pull out. My dad used to laugh and say "he's just being festive".

LOL!

When he was a pup, Chewy used to crawl under the bed and you could hear him down there messin around.

He had real problems getting his poop out back then... Looked like he was eating a whole lot of hair somewhere... Asked the vet about it when she was down looking at some horses for us, and he checked out alright, so she told be to feed him oil for a while to keep him greased up and see how it goes.

Well, it was spring time, and as things go in the spring, my wife wanted me to take the bed apart and move it out of the way for spring cleaning... Which I did, and that's how I solved the riddle.

That dang dog had chewed off every square inch of that black fibrous sheeting that used to be stapled to the bottom of the box spring - and there wasn't a single bit of it anywhere on the floor. He ate the whole thing.

He came by his name honestly :)

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 09:47:52 pm »
No thanks.  I already have 3 between 50 - 70 lbs each.  Ugh, I don't think my sweet old girl is going to be with us much longer though.

Those are puppies in the market being sold for meat.

Their use as food is gradually growing less and less.   Its thought to increase stamina and virility so mostly men eat it.  They are very big on food being improtant for health.

Here is something else that helps with stamina.   Had my niece try to get me to have some of these, they'll improve your stamina she said.  They slice them up and mix them with red pepper paste.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 09:53:35 pm »
Those are puppies in the market being sold for meat.

Their use as food is gradually growing less and less.   Its thought to increase stamina and virility so mostly men eat it.  They are very big on food being improtant for health.

Here is something else that helps with stamina.   Had my niece try to get me to have some of these, they'll improve your stamina she said.  They slice them up and mix them with red pepper paste.

I don't even want to know what's in that basket.  I am not adventurous when it comes to food.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 09:57:00 pm »
I don't even want to know what's in that basket.  I am not adventurous when it comes to food.

@RoosGirl
Sea cucumbers but they look like pink worms and something else.

To bring it back on topic, dogs can eat these too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 10:58:43 pm »
@RoosGirl
Sea cucumbers but they look like pink worms and something else.

To bring it back on topic, dogs can eat these too.

I could live the rest of my life without eating anything from the sea and be perfectly happy.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 11:29:46 pm »
You know I heed the warnings and avoid giving these things to our dog too.

But OTOH, doesn't anyone find it strange that these things can hurt dogs (the same dogs) that may get their next snack 5 days old feet up on the side of the road?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:30:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2018, 11:43:13 pm »
You know I heed the warnings and avoid giving these things to our dog too.

But OTOH, doesn't anyone find it strange that these things can hurt dogs (the same dogs) that may get their next snack 5 days old feet up on the side of the road?

Yes, but most of our dogs are pets that live most of their lives inside.  They don't go roaming the countryside and they don't have to forage for their food and eat what they find.  Their guts aren't used to that rich road kill.  That stuff will make them sick because they're not used to it.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 11:57:52 pm »
Yes, but most of our dogs are pets that live most of their lives inside.  They don't go roaming the countryside and they don't have to forage for their food and eat what they find.  Their guts aren't used to that rich road kill.  That stuff will make them sick because they're not used to it.

Makes sense...  Of course I have seen a neighbor dog (outiside all its life) eat 3 week old road kill, and enjoy it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.