Author Topic: House Passes Bill Authorizing CMP Sale of Army Surplus 1911 Pistols  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: House Passes Bill Authorizing CMP Sale of Army Surplus 1911 Pistols
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 04:13:02 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit? @driftdiver

BTW: I'm not arguing that the 9mm is a BETTER round than the .45ACP.  All I'm arguing is that the 9mm with proper ammo has PLENTY of power to do the job. 

I'm a big guy who can easily handle my .45s but I CHOSE to carry a 9mm with complete confidence that it will do the job if I need it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jpsb

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »
Thanks for the info -- I'll rethink choices for personal protection.

! No longer available

Get a real gun, a 357 mag revolver

! No longer available

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »
When you do that keep in mind that there is NOTHING wrong with the 9mm caliber at all

That's right. It makes for a helluva lady gun. Most gals prefer .30cal to  .40 or .45
I am partial to .45, but I am not in suburbia either, where downrange might be a problem.
Even so, there's a .357mag sitting in the truck at all times. It's just fine for a spare, and works great for dispatching injured animals on the road.

And accuracy is more important than caliber anyhoo.
heck, a .22 will kill just fine, providing you put it in the right place.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2018, 04:51:30 pm »
Thanks for the info -- I'll rethink choices for personal protection.

@libertybele

If the recoil of a .45 is bothersome, you may want to check out a .40.   Gives a bit better performance than a 9mm.

I have a Kimber in .45 Love it but you only get 7+1 rounds.  I keep a MP 40 on hand. 15+1 rounds of ammo. Three clips and I can have  45 rounds with me easily. One reason for all the extra rounds , besides running into a antifa/democrat rally....... is that you may need to fire on the move, not so much to hit but so that they keep their heads down while you maneuver to get away or for advantage.

I use Winchester PDX-1, good enough for the FBI...good enough for me!

Anyways , I bought that MP-40 at https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php it was a police trade in like new, $350.00 bucks. Put a Crimson trace on it immediately. Buds gun is a great place to do business with, their prices are very hard to beat.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2018, 05:04:48 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit? @driftdiver

BTW: I'm not arguing that the 9mm is a BETTER round than the .45ACP.  All I'm arguing is that the 9mm with proper ammo has PLENTY of power to do the job. 

I'm a big guy who can easily handle my .45s but I CHOSE to carry a 9mm with complete confidence that it will do the job if I need it.

@Bigun
Sorry didn't mean to argue.   I agree that the 9mm is fine.  The gun carried is better then the one left at home because its too hard to carry.   I've carried a keltec .32 for quite a while because I couldn't find a holster which allowed me to keep a larger firearm concealed in my normal tshirt and shorts attire.

I finally found one that I think will work so have started carrying my .40
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2018, 05:13:01 pm »
@Bigun
I finally found one that I think will work so have started carrying my .40

I'm not yet a carry person, my gun sits in the closet for years. Which is why I like a revolver.
With a revolver I know something is going to happen when I squeeze the trigger. Leave a semi
in a closet for years and it likely will not work when you need it to work. And 357 mag comes
with a built in flame thrower.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2018, 05:18:32 pm »
I'm not yet a carry person, my gun sits in the closet for years. Which is why I like a revolver.
With a revolver I know something is going to happen when I squeeze the trigger. Leave a semi
in a closet for years and it likely will not work when you need it to work. And 357 mag comes

My first pistol was a wheel-gun. Ruger Security Six in .357 to be precise. Still have it. It is from the first year of production, in real good condition. A buddy of mine had a 44 mag in the Dirty Harry version. We used to go out in the country, pull over at a creek and chop down trees. That 357 of mine would deafen you ....LOUDer than the 44.

Hopefully we will have Constitutional carry here in Oklahoma soon...Kansas got it last year.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »

The first gun my wife wanted...and got was a .357 magnum.  Beautiful Ruger SP101.  She shoots it quite well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:21 pm »
The first gun my wife wanted...and got was a .357 magnum.  Beautiful Ruger SP101.  She shoots it quite well.

I’d never recommend a Rossi to anyone.  Mine had timing problems, though I have heard they’re better since the Taurus buyout.  I almost got the Ruger SP101 to replace it, but settled on the EAA Windicator.  It’s a very nice revolver.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 06:39:25 pm »

I started out with a Rossi revolver that was extremely accurate and easy to handle, only problem was it would jam every now and then, so I traded it in for a Baretta 92FS and other than it being a bit much too conceal, I love it.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2018, 07:12:08 pm »

I’d never recommend a Rossi to anyone.  Mine had timing problems, though I have heard they’re better since the Taurus buyout.  I almost got the Ruger SP101 to replace it, but settled on the EAA Windicator.  It’s a very nice revolver.

She still has her eyes set on a nice S&W 686 with a 3" barrel.  I've seen the Windicator...haven't held one yet.  I've heard good things about EAA as well.

I've got a Rock Island Armory .38 special that I'm seriously considering carrying during the summer.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2018, 07:52:07 pm »
She still has her eyes set on a nice S&W 686 with a 3" barrel.  I've seen the Windicator...haven't held one yet.  I've heard good things about EAA as well.

I've got a Rock Island Armory .38 special that I'm seriously considering carrying during the summer.

Funny thing about the short barreled Windicator.  It’s shipped with a long barrel extended beyond the front sight, due to som silly import law.  They cut it down (roughly) on arrival.  It’s sharp enough to be a weapon itself, should you run out of ammo.  It’s just cosmetic and won’t affect anything. A local guy did the deburr for nothing.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:38 pm »

Funny thing about the short barreled Windicator.  It’s shipped with a long barrel extended beyond the front sight, due to som silly import law.  They cut it down (roughly) on arrival.  It’s sharp enough to be a weapon itself, should you run out of ammo.  It’s just cosmetic and won’t affect anything. A local guy did the deburr for nothing.

Weird.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2018, 01:34:05 am »
Just 2 lines blow the FBI article out of the water.

"The study shows most law enforcement shootings result in only about 30 percent of the rounds hitting their target."

[TWB: Spray and Pray, because you can't Shoot for S##t. There's the love of large cap magazines.]

“The Ballistic Research Facility has conducted a test which compares similar sized Glock pistols in both .40 S&W and 9mm calibers, to determine if more accurate and faster hits are achievable with one versus the other,” the FBI says. “To date, the majority of the study participants have shot more quickly and more accurately with 9mm caliber Glock pistols. The 9mm provides struggling shooters the best chance of success while improving the speed and accuracy of the most skilled shooters.”

So when the skill of the shooter — with many agencies and even civilian shooters unable to train on a consistent basis — is a factor, there’s no shortcut in shooting a larger-caliber round.

[TWB: Then what the hell are we paying them for? More importantly WTF are these Idiots doing even Carrying a Gun?]
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2018, 01:39:55 am »
@To-Whose-Benefit?

Years ago I participated in pistol matches very regularly and can tell you from first hand knowledge that law enforcement officers are among the worst shots around and absolutely the most dangerous. 

I actualy moved to another shooting position on the line on order to get away from an idiot I was afraid might kill me.  Turned out to be an employee of the fedgov.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:40:37 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2018, 01:47:32 am »
That's right. It makes for a helluva lady gun. Most gals prefer .30cal to  .40 or .45
I am partial to .45, but I am not in suburbia either, where downrange might be a problem.
Even so, there's a .357mag sitting in the truck at all times. It's just fine for a spare, and works great for dispatching injured animals on the road.

And accuracy is more important than caliber anyhoo.
heck, a .22 will kill just fine, providing you put it in the right place.

Damn Straight.

Over penetration is a very real issue with a .357, especially in urban areas.

Absolute Wrong choice for the nightstand, unless you're OK with the bullet finally stopping in a beam 3 or 4 houses over.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2018, 01:54:05 am »
@roamer_1

"And accuracy is more important than caliber anyhoo.
heck, a .22 will kill just fine, providing you put it in the right place."

Case on record of not 1 but 2 Elephants being killed with a .22 long rifle.

1st one was an accident.

Tried to replay it, killed the 2nd.

Took them both broadside at a walk.

Waited until the foreleg was at maximum forward extension and then heart shot him, right behind the leg.

Sure's hell wouldn't have stopped a charge but both times it did kill him.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:57:55 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2018, 03:06:47 am »
Case on record of not 1 but 2 Elephants being killed with a .22 long rifle.

Well let me put it this way @To-Whose-Benefit? :

I have a Remington .22LR Semi Rifle w/ open sites. I have been dottin gophers in the eye and barkin pine squirrels with that rifle my whole life long.  I don't know how many cats, dogs (*incl. coyotes), skunks, and coons too, but it's a fair number.

For absolute accuracy and ~0~ time-off-target, I would be hard pressed not to choose that rifle for anything out to where I can see (which really ain't braggin anymore), I can drive tacks with that exact and particular gun - And keep em comin till the tube runs out. I ain't what I once was, but I bet I can empty that gun into a dime size hole. No jump, no flinch, just dial her in and keep flapping on the trigger.

Would I WANT to take on a griz like that? Oh hell no! But I'd take it as a fair chance if I had to. All them bees buzzin around in his noggin will give him something to think about..

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2018, 03:11:57 am »
Well let me put it this way @To-Whose-Benefit? :

[snip]

Would I WANT to take on a griz like that? Oh hell no! But I'd take it as a fair chance if I had to. All them bees buzzin around in his noggin will give him something to think about..

:mauslaff:

Give you time to find a good climbing tree, take a steady rest, and pop a keeper in his eye.