Author Topic: Let’s Not Throw Out the Constitution  (Read 486 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Let’s Not Throw Out the Constitution
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:48 pm »
It’s not the Ten Commandments, but the Framers were right to fear direct majority rule. Majorities can become mobs.
By Jay Cost
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455855/progressives-trash-constitution-theyre-wrong-pure-democracy-can-be-dangerous

Writing for The Week, Ryan Cooper recently offered a provocative denunciation of the Constitution. “The American Constitution is an outdated, malfunctioning piece of junk,” he said, “and it’s only getting worse.” The basic problem, he argued, is that “elections generally do not produce functioning governments,” and he proposes a series of reforms — some modest, some radical — to increase democratic accountability within the government.

Cooper’s essay is of a piece with many I see nowadays, especially from progressives. Of late, the specific target of liberal ire is the Senate and its favoritism toward small, sparsely populated states. It is generally a very old critique. Woodrow Wilson once bemoaned our government’s rigorous separation of powers for how it denied the ability of the people to rule. Complaints such as those offered by Cooper and others come, more or less, from the same genre, even if the particular grievances have varied.

I am not entirely unsympathetic to their frustration: The Constitution is not like the Ten Commandments, handed down from God almighty. It is a document written by flawed humans that can, and often should, be critiqued. The Framers themselves acknowledged their own fallibility by including an amendment process.

Nevertheless, I think polemical calls to action such as this tend to dismiss out of hand the unique democratic theory underlying our system of government. In its place, they rely upon an undue confidence in the wisdom and virtue of numerical majorities . . .

[T]he masses are prone to being overwhelmed by fractious and even violent passions, and can repurpose the tools of democratic government for unjust ends. The classical solution was to check majority rule with some kind of hereditary estate, but the Framers rejected this, and instead used constitutional instruments to mediate public opinion.

In my judgment, this suggests that real question lurking behind any discussion of constitutional overhaul: Were the Framers too skeptical of the capacity of the mass public to rule in accordance with the dictates of justice and virtue? It is not just enough to complain that the Constitution impedes righteous actions from happening. One must go on to claim that, absent such restrictions, the people would govern righteously.

Do advocates of soup-to-nuts constitutional reform really believe that? Because I surely don’t . . .

(Note: I'm sure I don't need to point out that progressives aren't always the only ones who prefer mob rule.---EA.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Let’s Not Throw Out the Constitution
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:24:20 pm »
It’s not the Ten Commandments, but the Framers were right to fear direct majority rule. Majorities can become mobs.

(Note: I'm sure I don't need to point out that progressives aren't always the only ones who prefer mob rule.---EA.)

No.  We have seen and learned that mob rule is just as preferred among Populists and Party Loyalists as it is among the Left.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:56:06 pm »
Instead of throwing it out perhaps we ought to actually use it and see how it works.  Haven't been doing that for a long time now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 11:24:06 pm »
Instead of throwing it out perhaps we ought to actually use it and see how it works.  Haven't been doing that for a long time now.

Doing so would unravel the very fabric of how the entire Federal Beast works and operates.  Money, power and control cannot permit such a thing to happen - because too many are dependent upon the crony corruption and graft that supports the entire structure of federal government.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:02:02 am »
Instead of throwing it out perhaps we ought to actually use it and see how it works. 
@Bigun

Atsamatta fa you? You want to be sentenced to membership in the nation's largest organised crime family or sumptin?  22222frying pan

;)

(/sarc)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:20:09 am »
:thumbsup: :patriot:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 12:48:23 am »
Christ. You know you are a worthless moronic writer when all you can find to opine about is a goofy piece in The Weak.