Author Topic: India estimates 21 million of its girls are 'unwanted'  (Read 385 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
India estimates 21 million of its girls are 'unwanted'
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:37:12 pm »
India estimates 21 million of its girls are 'unwanted'

The desire among parents in India to have sons instead of daughters has created 21 million "unwanted" girls, a government report estimates.

The finance ministry report found many couples kept on having children until they had a boy.

Authors called this a "subtler form" of son preference than sex-selective abortions but warned it might lead to fewer resources for girls.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42864827

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: India estimates 21 million of its girls are 'unwanted'
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:52:57 pm »
Women who live in the US ought to thank God every day that we do. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: India estimates 21 million of its girls are 'unwanted'
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:19:58 pm »
As a father of three daughters and no sons - my life is considered ruined by Indian standards because I could never pay enough in dowry to marry off my girls.

They still practice dowry in India. 

Essentially in Hindu tradition - a female is only half a human being until she is married.  Then, for only as long as her husband lives.

Marriage in India is a business transaction; almost all marriages in India are arranged.  Child marriages to older men among Hindus is common.  Marriages are decided based upon caste and station and by how much money is agreed to be given to the groom's family for the man to 'take' the woman to be his wife.  This tradition even applies to Christians - and I would know having performed several marriages among the brethren there myself.

Once the woman is married, she goes to live with the husband's family to be their servant in their home unless or until the husband has enough funds to obtain his own home.

India is a Patriarchal society.  Girls are a burden to a family due to the enormous cost of getting them married and the primacy a family places on the first born son.  This is why you will find millions of girls on the streets ranging in age from infants to teens begging, because their own parents discarded them.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775