Author Topic: 12 Strong Celebrates American Exceptionalism. The Left Hates It.  (Read 640 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The new gun-heavy movie 12 Strong just opened in theaters. It’s based upon the declassified story of the twelve American Special Forces troops who went into Afghanistan after the 9/11 attacks. The movie that celebrates American exceptionalism. The American left hates it . . .

As with “American Sniper,” critics writing for left-leaning publications are panning the movie and its portrayal of the enemy. â€˜12 Strong’: Formulaic war movie tells the true story of American ‘horse soldiers’ of Afghanistan, The Washington Post proclaims.

Formulaic but true! Go figure. Or read this from their man Michael O’Sullivan:

Although the Americans complain that it’s hard to tell who they’re fighting against — even their allies treat them with suspicion — it’s abundantly clear to the audience who the bad guy is. The enemy is embodied by an almost cartoonish, black-clad Taliban mullah, who, when he’s not executing a weeping schoolteacher for educating girls or firing a barrage of RPGs at Mitch and his men, is peering through the red-tinted lenses of binoculars that lend him a satanic malevolence.

As TTAG’s resident war hero John Wayne Taylor will tell you, that’s nothing compared to the casual cruelty the Taliban inflicted on Afghan locals, day in, day out. The rape, torture and killing of small children. The craven murderous assaults on unsuspecting American soldiers. Acts well beyond any idea of human decency. Acts that would turn your stomach.

What turns my stomach: the way O’Sullivan can’t credit the movies heroes — and that’s what they are — for their patriotism, heroism, professionalism and honor.

Far from the rah-rah kind of war story that some may be used to, “12 Strong” is suffused with cynicism. Although refreshing in a way, that attitude flies in the face of everything else that the movie tries to tell us: That Mitch and company are fighting to right a wrong, and that it matters. More often than not, “12 Strong” feels like a sports movie, where all the stakes rest not on matters of honor and duty, but on a single field goal.

Here’s another bit of bile from the appropriately named Slant Magazine:

…masses of faceless Taliban fighters drop to the ground like flies as tiny traces of CGI blood spurts into the air before quickly vanishing. [Director] Fuglsig particularly revels in the destruction caused by bombing raids, which he often captures in sweeping aerial shots that give us a bird’s-eye view of the awesome might of the American empire.

That the men who die in these battles might not be purely “evil,” that they too might have families, friends, and lovers, is a nuance that 12 Strong doesn’t care to discern…

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/01/john-boch/12-strong-movie-celebrates-american-exceptionalism-left-hates/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

Re: 12 Strong Celebrates American Exceptionalism. The Left Hates It.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:59:50 pm »
I loved American Sniper. "12 Strong" sounds like it's going to be a fantastic movie!  Thanks for the info.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:04:55 pm »
I remember when that happened and was first reported,and I was absolutely eaten alive with jealousy,and I have never ridden a horse in my life. Imagine,leading a Calvary charge in this day and age!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »
An interesting side note about 12 Strong...the battle at the fortress known as Qala-i-Jangi...which occurred in the days after the SF guys had helped Liberate Mazar-i-Sharif...was when CIA Agent and former Marine Johnny Michael Spann was killed.

John Walker Lindh was captured during that battle as well.

No wonder all the lefties and the movie critics are panning this movie.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:23:00 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:16:47 pm »
An interesting side note about 12 Strong...the battle at the fortress known as Qala-i-Jangi...which occurred in the days after the SF guys had helped Liberate Mazar-i-Sharif...was when CIA Agent and former Marine Johnny Michael Spann was killed.

IIRC,it was SF ,and a few CIA that took the prison back and killed off most of the rioters.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:25:01 pm »
Some amazing things were done in the early days of this war.   The courage it took for these guys to go into that place is amazing.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 04:26:04 pm »
IIRC,it was SF ,and a few CIA that took the prison back and killed off most of the rioters.

It took Northern Alliance fighters, assisted by British and American special forces and air support, six days to quell the revolt.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »

Lindh is apparently scheduled to be released from prison in May 2019.  He still hates America and is planning to go to Ireland.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:54:54 pm »
I was kind of disappointed with American Sniper and Lone Survivor for unnecessarily fictionalization.  At some point, I’ll probably see this movie, though.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 05:40:45 pm »
Some amazing things were done in the early days of this war.   The courage it took for these guys to go into that place is amazing.

And not just by us.  I've read some accounts of some Aussie SAS guys fighting in the caves against the Taliban that make your jaw drop.

The fight we took to the Taliban in the early days needs to be told and not buried alongside the video of what happened on 9/11.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 12:39:13 am »
And not just by us.  I've read some accounts of some Aussie SAS guys fighting in the caves against the Taliban that make your jaw drop.

The fight we took to the Taliban in the early days needs to be told and not buried alongside the video of what happened on 9/11.

@txradioguy

Sometimes it's just better to let the enemy wonder what happened and how,than it is to tell them about it.

Nothing scares people like their own imaginations.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:39:37 am by sneakypete »