Author Topic: Poland moves to make use of phrase 'Polish death camps' criminal offense  (Read 571 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Poland moves to make use of phrase 'Polish death camps' criminal offense
Marcin Goettig

WARSAW (Reuters) - Polish lawmakers approved a bill on Friday that makes it a crime, punishable by up to three years in prison, to use statements suggesting Poland bears responsibility for crimes against humanity committed by Nazi Germany.

The bill will also make it illegal to deny the murder of about 100,000 Poles by units in the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) during World War Two, a move likely to increase tensions with neighbouring Ukraine. Artistic and scientific activity will be exempt.

Poles have fought for years against the use of phrases like “Polish death camps”, which suggest Poland was at least partly responsible for the camps where millions people, mostly Jews, were killed by Nazi Germany. The camps were built and operated by the Nazis after they invaded Poland in 1939.

Read more at: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-poland-holocaust/poland-moves-to-make-use-of-phrase-polish-death-camps-criminal-offence-idUKKBN1FF2Q1

Didn't Obama err and say something like this once?

I almost always support Israel; but here I disagree with Israel. Israel takes exception to this bill.

Israel criticizes bill banning statements implicating Poland in Holocaust
Ari Rabinovitch, Marcin Goettig

JERUSALEM/WARSAW (Reuters) - Israel called on Poland on Saturday to amend a bill approved this week by Polish lawmakers that would make it illegal to suggest Poland bore any responsibility for crimes against humanity committed by Nazi Germany on its soil.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he instructed his ambassador to meet Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki to express opposition to the bill, which would make using phrases like “Polish death camps” punishable by up to three years in prison.

“The law is baseless, I strongly oppose it. One cannot change history and the Holocaust cannot be denied,” Netanyahu said, in comments mirrored by other senior Israeli officials.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-poland/israel-criticizes-bill-banning-statements-implicating-poland-in-holocaust-idUSKBN1FG0TZ

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Poland moves to make use of phrase 'Polish death camps' criminal offense
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:07:44 pm »
I'm with Poland on this.   These were and will always remain Nazi death camps.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:23:22 pm »
Didn't Obama err and say something like this once?

I almost always support Israel; but here I disagree with Israel. Israel takes exception to this bill.

Disappointed in Bibi.  Nobody is denying the Holocaust.  But I know there are some idiots out there who really think the Poles had something to do with The Holocaust.   

I might add, that not a single Pole was used as a guard at the Camps, while there were plenty of Ukrainians who did serve as guards.   Now ask yourself, why wouldn't the Nazis use Slavic Poles, when they used Slavic Ukrainians as Camp Guards?  Certainly there were anti-semitic Poles who probably would have volunteered, but the Nazis didn't allow them.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:44:40 pm »
No one is denying the atrocities of the camps, just guaranteeing correct attribution for those atrocities.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:06:03 pm »
Anti-Semetism was gaining momentum in Europe during the years between the World Wars.  There were plenty of people in occupied territory all too happy to see Jews rounded up and deported.  That said, it was strictly on the Nazi regime for developing and implementing plans for the Holocaust.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.