Author Topic: The Magnetic Field Is Shifting. The Poles May Flip. This Could Get Bad.  (Read 5259 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The Magnetic Field Is Shifting. The Poles May Flip. This Could Get Bad.
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 02:24:36 pm »
shifting of earth's magnetic poles has been happening since the earth was created.  This is nothing new and akin to shifting weather patterns, aka climate change.

Nothing that humans could do about it anyway.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 03:07:33 pm »

When next the poles change places, the consequences for the electrical and electronic infrastructure that runs civilization will be dire. 

@rangerrebew

Yeah,that's one way of putting it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 03:10:30 pm »
Oh no were all gonna die.

@driftdiver

Not really. Only most of the worlds population. Chances are all of us alive today will already be dead long before it happens.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 03:13:15 pm »
Well if we would somehow start spinning on an axis of somewhere say, around Brazil as the new north or south pole, then yes that would be problematic.

@Free Vulcan

Yeah,but it will only be minor things like new continents rising up out of the ocean as old ones become submerged.

How do you think it came about that shark and whale bones are found in the Rockies?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 03:15:12 pm »
What Would Happen If the North and South Poles Were Flipped?.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/happen-north-south-poles-flipped.html

@Wingnut

Did that scientist get her degree from the back of a cereal box? Who thinks the waters in the oceans and lakes all around the world are going to remain in place when the poles flip?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 10:05:56 pm »
@Wingnut

Did that scientist get her degree from the back of a cereal box? Who thinks the waters in the oceans and lakes all around the world are going to remain in place when the poles flip?

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 10:48:15 pm »
No way.  Not enough power at those levels, not even close.
Not just the collapsing global field, but the loss of Van Allen Belt shielding would open up the surface to straight solar radiation. It might not take down the grid, but the little things are a lot more susceptible. We haven't seen one of these events before, so if it happens, I reckon we'll find out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 10:49:12 pm »
@Free Vulcan

Yeah,but it will only be minor things like new continents rising up out of the ocean as old ones become submerged.

How do you think it came about that shark and whale bones are found in the Rockies?
Eagles packing a snack....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 10:51:00 pm »
@driftdiver

Not really. Only most of the worlds population. Chances are all of us alive today will already be dead long before it happens.
Yeah, we are all gonna die, but probably not from one of these. Not likely we'll live long enough to 'see' the event.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 12:23:17 am »

@Suppressed

So,you think the poles can flip and the water will stay where it is?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 12:32:01 am »
Yeah, we are all gonna die, but probably not from one of these. Not likely we'll live long enough to 'see' the event.

@Smokin Joe

We are not dealing with time on a human level,either. We are dealing with time on a cosmic level. It's very possible that by the time it happens we have a couple of hundred years warning exactly when it will  happen,and the capability to remove what is left of mankind to orbit somewhere until things have settled back down again.

Or maybe even enough knowledge to counter and prevent it from happening at all?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 12:52:18 am »
Heck, I don't know:

Scientists understand that Earth's magnetic field has flipped its polarity many times over the millennia. In other words, if you were alive about 800,000 years ago, and facing what we call north with a magnetic compass in your hand, the needle would point to 'south.' This is because a magnetic compass is calibrated based on Earth's poles. The N-S markings of a compass would be 180 degrees wrong if the polarity of today's magnetic field were reversed. Many doomsday theorists have tried to take this natural geological occurrence and suggest it could lead to Earth's destruction. But would there be any dramatic effects? The answer, from the geologic and fossil records we have from hundreds of past magnetic polarity reversals, seems to be 'no.'...

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012-poleReversal.html

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 03:11:25 am »
@Suppressed

Yes.  The magnetic poles have relatively little to do with the water being where it is.  There are, of course, interactions with ocean currents depending on salinity, etc.  But as for "remaining in place"...yes.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 03:29:57 am »
Heck, I don't know:

There's some evidence that mass extinctions in the past are tied to geomagnetic reversals...sometimes.  But the mechanisms are unclear.

The thing is, there are lots of issues beyond the direct radiation problem.  For example, without protection from the solar wind, oxygen is blown away from the atmosphere.  Modeling by Wei, et al., a few years ago indicates that this might be the reason for the correlations to mass extinctions.

Highlights

•Geomagnetic field reversal substantially weakens the protection for the atmosphere.

•Solar wind energizes more oxygen ions to escape when geomagnetic field is weakened.

•Oxygen escape may explain the drop of atmospheric level during mass extinction.

•The causal relation between reversal and mass extinction should be “many-to-one”.

•The simulated oxygen escape rate based on knowledge of Mars support our hypothesis.

Abstract
The evolution of life is affected by variations of atmospheric oxygen level and geomagnetic field intensity. Oxygen can escape into interplanetary space as ions after gaining momentum from solar wind, but Earth's strong dipole field reduces the momentum transfer efficiency and the ion outflow rate, except for the time of geomagnetic polarity reversals when the field is significantly weakened in strength and becomes Mars-like in morphology. The newest databases available for the Phanerozoic era illustrate that the reversal rate increased and the atmospheric oxygen level decreased when the marine diversity showed a gradual pattern of mass extinctions lasting millions of years. We propose that accumulated oxygen escape during an interval of increased reversal rate could have led to the catastrophic drop of oxygen level, which is known to be a cause of mass extinction. We simulated the oxygen ion escape rate for the Triassic–Jurassic event, using a modified Martian ion escape model with an input of quiet solar wind inferred from Sun-like stars. The results show that geomagnetic reversal could enhance the oxygen escape rate by 3–4 orders only if the magnetic field was extremely weak, even without consideration of space weather effects. This suggests that our hypothesis could be a possible explanation of a correlation between geomagnetic reversals and mass extinction. Therefore, if this causal relation indeed exists, it should be a “many-to-one” scenario rather the previously considered “one-to-one”, and planetary magnetic field should be much more important than previously thought for planetary habitability.

I personally have liked to ponder this one, because it opens up other things to ponder.  Obviously, if the flip is rapid enough, then there won't be much time for oxygen to escape.  But if this is a slow flip, then would a counter to it possibly be the cultivation of high-photosynthesis plants...and pumping our atmospheric CO2 levels up to help with that?

:pondering:
+++++++++

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 06:54:35 am »
Yes.  The magnetic poles have relatively little to do with the water being where it is.  There are, of course, interactions with ocean currents depending on salinity, etc.  But as for "remaining in place"...yes.

@Suppressed

The way I read it,the magnetic poles themselves won't flip,but the planet will flip,making today's South Pole the North Pole,and today's North Pole the South Pole.

Offline thackney

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 01:25:21 pm »
@Suppressed

Yes I do.  I don't confuse gravity with magnetic forces.

Try to use magnets to move water, sea water, etc around in a bowl.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 01:28:58 pm »
@Suppressed

The way I read it,the magnetic poles themselves won't flip,but the planet will flip,making today's South Pole the North Pole,and today's North Pole the South Pole.

You should read it again.

They are talking about a variation in the relative speeds of the iron core and the molten metals surrounding it.

Offline thackney

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 01:30:51 pm »
Not just the collapsing global field, but the loss of Van Allen Belt shielding would open up the surface to straight solar radiation. It might not take down the grid, but the little things are a lot more susceptible. We haven't seen one of these events before, so if it happens, I reckon we'll find out.

If that was the case, wouldn't we massive die outs of animals every time it happened?

Reversals are the rule, not the exception. Earth has settled in the last 20 million years into a pattern of a pole reversal about every 200,000 to 300,000 years, although it has been more than twice that long since the last reversal. A reversal happens over hundreds or thousands of years, and it is not exactly a clean back flip. Magnetic fields morph and push and pull at one another, with multiple poles emerging at odd latitudes throughout the process. Scientists estimate reversals have happened at least hundreds of times over the past three billion years.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 01:58:22 pm »
You should read it again.

They are talking about a variation in the relative speeds of the iron core and the molten metals surrounding it.

@thackney

Ok,thanks. I confess to  not having read that link. I was going on what I had read somewhere else a month or so ago.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2018, 02:15:16 pm »
@Free Vulcan

That came from sea floors being pushed up into mountain ranges from continental drift when two continental plates slam together. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 02:20:15 pm »
If that was the case, wouldn't we massive die outs of animals every time it happened?

Reversals are the rule, not the exception. Earth has settled in the last 20 million years into a pattern of a pole reversal about every 200,000 to 300,000 years, although it has been more than twice that long since the last reversal. A reversal happens over hundreds or thousands of years, and it is not exactly a clean back flip. Magnetic fields morph and push and pull at one another, with multiple poles emerging at odd latitudes throughout the process. Scientists estimate reversals have happened at least hundreds of times over the past three billion years.

Die outs would depend on radiation sensitivity, duration of any field collapse, and the effect that magnetic field disturbances would have on migration patterns. Because the effects would not be global in partial disruptions, if those are the rule, local populations may be affected while others survive--the species goes on. If the reversal was instantaneous, the effects would be most harsh on the 'day side', and the 'night side' would suffer the least effects. There has been a lot of change in megafauna, but getting 200K resolution out of the fossil record going back is a mite more difficult, and I'm not sure the question of extinctions or even die offs has been addressed with respect to field reversals.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 02:25:11 pm »
Die outs would depend on radiation sensitivity, duration of any field collapse, and the effect that magnetic field disturbances would have on migration patterns. Because the effects would not be global in partial disruptions, if those are the rule, local populations may be affected while others survive--the species goes on. If the reversal was instantaneous, the effects would be most harsh on the 'day side', and the 'night side' would suffer the least effects. There has been a lot of change in megafauna, but getting 200K resolution out of the fossil record going back is a mite more difficult, and I'm not sure the question of extinctions or even die offs has been addressed with respect to field reversals.

Joe, mass extinctions and die-offs have been researched, and there has not been a clear link found. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 02:27:36 pm »
Joe, mass extinctions and die-offs have been researched, and there has not been a clear link found.
Well, if that's the case, I'd love a link to that research.

C S Lewis

Offline Au_Jus

• Adorable Deplorable
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 02:40:12 pm »

Why would there be any field collapse?  As long as the core is spinning and molten we'll have a magnetic field. 

I'm sure there will be some minor fluxuation, but collapse?  I'm not sure that will happen.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 02:51:37 pm »
Well, if that's the case, I'd love a link to that research.

When I get home, I'll look in my internet history and find that for you.