Author Topic: Dueling House Intelligence memos could be released as early as next week  (Read 522 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dueling House Intelligence memos could be released as early as next week
by Kelly Cohen | Jan 27, 2018, 12:01 AM

The House Intelligence Committee could vote as early as next week to release two dueling classified memos: one that Republicans say details surveillance abuses by the federal government and one that Democrats say corrects the inaccurate GOP memo.

A committee source told the Washington Examiner that votes could happen in the coming days, including a vote on a four-page memo put together by Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif.

There are 13 GOP members on the committee and nine Democrats. It appears at least a majority of Republicans want the Nunes memo to be released, despite a warning from the Department of Justice not to do so.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dueling-house-intelligence-memos-could-be-released-as-early-as-next-week/article/2647283
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Concerned

Re: Dueling House Intelligence memos could be released as early as next week
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 04:21:39 pm »
With dueling memos, I suspect the only way we’ll REALLY be able to reliably judge the truth is by seeing the underlaying intelligence, and I have no illusions we’re going to see that.  One side is saying the Nunes memo is “alarming”, “troubling”, and “shocking” while the other side says it’s nothing more than “Republican talking points that skew the underlying intelligence and is intended to undermine special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation”.  I’m afraid the memo(s) will simply result in more back and forth, more finger-pointing, and more questions about what “the truth” really is.

22222frying pan
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:57:14 pm »
With dueling memos, I suspect the only way we’ll REALLY be able to reliably judge the truth is by seeing the underlaying intelligence, and I have no illusions we’re going to see that.  One side is saying the Nunes memo is “alarming”, “troubling”, and “shocking” while the other side says it’s nothing more than “Republican talking points that skew the underlying intelligence and is intended to undermine special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation”.  I’m afraid the memo(s) will simply result in more back and forth, more finger-pointing, and more questions about what “the truth” really is.

22222frying pan

I think most of us realize by now that regardless of how much information is released the DEMS will cry foul or better yet - fake news!  No one will be held accountable nor responsible and the DC swamp will continue on as usual and continue to grow.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:27:54 am »

22222frying pan

Clearly, the Dem memo is little more than an effort to mitigate the impact of the original memorandum. Drawing them as intellectual equivalents...or feigning that the veracity of both is comparable...defies logic. Now you may answer my statement here by asserting I'm projecting a partisan perception...and by pointing out that we've yet to see the contents of either memo...and you would not be wrong on the surface. But scratch deeper and its rather clear that what we really have is a genuine summary of the intelligence...and a counter point meant simply to obfuscate and delegitimize that primary memo.

The media and hardcore Dems may take the tack you suggest...treating this as just more dueling memos and talking points...but they are almost certainly wrong. As they've been repeatedly...obtusely...deliberately...wrong on this subject for a number of years now. The Republicans are no pillars of virtue themselves...but the ugly dishonesty, even treason, of the Left on this Russian collusion issue is beyond disgusting. So in this case, the Repubs have vastly more credibility and it is entirely safe to completely ignore the idiotic...feigned and late arriving...counter-memo of Schiff and his cast of liars.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:34:27 am »
Ok...if takes a majority vote of the committee that is 13 Rs to 9 Ds, how will the Ds get aa majority vote for their memo if unit contains lies and false information? If some member of the Ds, Schiff for example, releases it on their own, bring out thee handcuffs.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:44:03 am »
Ok...if takes a majority vote of the committee that is 13 Rs to 9 Ds, how will the Ds get aa majority vote for their memo if unit contains lies and false information? If some member of the Ds, Schiff for example, releases it on their own, bring out thee handcuffs.

Agreed.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 03:42:01 am »
If this memo was so explosive, it would have been released by now.  I'm afraid a letdown is in store.  Information about Watergate, The Pentagon Papers, and Operation Merlin gets leaked, but this remains in the congressional sewing circle.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:14:50 pm »
If this memo was so explosive, it would have been released by now.  I'm afraid a letdown is in store.  Information about Watergate, The Pentagon Papers, and Operation Merlin gets leaked, but this remains in the congressional sewing circle.

Explosive would likely be an overstatement, but Republicans are...unlike Dems....very unlikely to leak a full memo in violation of the law. Especially when it can be released legally just a week or so later.

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:23:27 pm »
Explosive would likely be an overstatement....

Then they shouldn't be out there saying things like, 'bigger than Watergate.'

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 06:17:07 pm »

Then they shouldn't be out there saying things like, 'bigger than Watergate.'

Yes, we wouldn’t want any politicians using hyperbole...like calling a president “racist”, “xenophobic” or “monstrous”. Oh wait...that’s the Left and their accomplice NT’rs. As for comparable to Watergate...if the FBI used a bogus dossier, obtained from the Dem presidential candidates campaign, to attain a FISA warrant to spy on a political opponent in a presidential election...it’s far worse than covering up a minor league break in. So in the end, rather than hyperbole, comparing it to Watergate would be an understatement.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:19:21 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 06:19:57 pm »

22222frying pan

Keep in mind that most Republicans don't want to rock the boat and let any sunshine into the swamp, therefore it is more likely that the memo with negative information about the swamp is the more correct one.  And, besides, dems lie because it's what they do.  They can't tell the truth and maintain power.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 06:25:33 pm »
As for comparable to Watergate...if the FBI used a bogus dossier, obtained from the Dem presidential candidates campaign, to attain a FISA warrant to spy on a political opponent in a presidential election...it’s far worse than covering up a minor league break in. So in the end, rather than hyperbole, comparing it to Watergate would be an understatement.

Unless we can see the FISA warrant - and we won't - there will be no way to know what was used to secure any intel gathering.  This Cliff Notes version is going to be necessarily full of holes, due to classified info.  It'll just produce more questions and not provide many solid answers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:26:16 pm by edpc »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 06:45:33 pm »

Unless we can see the FISA warrant - and we won't - there will be no way to know what was used to secure any intel gathering.  This Cliff Notes version is going to be necessarily full of holes, due to classified info.  It'll just produce more questions and not provide many solid answers.

:amen:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.