Author Topic: Lake Michigan has become dramatically clearer in last 20 years — but at a steep cost  (Read 759 times)

rangerrebew

Lake Michigan has become dramatically clearer in last 20 years — but at a steep cost

Tony BriscoeChicago Tribune

Decades ago, Lake Michigan teemed with nutrients and green algae, casting a brownish-green hue that resembled the mouth of an inland river rather than a vast, open-water lake.

Back then, the lake’s swampy complexion was less than inviting to swimmers and kayakers, but it supported a robust fishing industry as several commercial companies trawled for perch, and sport fishermen cast their lines for trout. But in the past 20 years, Lake Michigan has undergone a dramatic transformation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-lake-michigan-water-clarity-20180126-story.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
“Clearer is not necessarily better,” said Robert Shuchman, co-director of the Michigan Tech Research Institute. “Clearer water means less phytoplankton in the water column, and they’re the basic building block in the food web. The idea is, the little fish eat algae, and the bigger fish eat the little fish.

You would think they would have known that.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Good article.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Agreed.

I'd heard the mussels were getting to be a problem.  Apparently they do the same thing in a lake that they do in a fish tank.  Reminds me of the sea lampreys back in the 60-70's.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

I'd heard the mussels were getting to be a problem.  Apparently they do the same thing in a lake that they do in a fish tank.  Reminds me of the sea lampreys back in the 60-70's.

The article mentioned the lampreys.

Offline Joe Wooten

Zebra mussels and Asian clams are notorious for clogging up power plant cooling water intakes.....

Oceander

Zebra mussels and Asian clams are notorious for clogging up power plant cooling water intakes.....

As well as seriously damaging the lake.