Author Topic: How Christians should engage the Trump wars  (Read 378 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
How Christians should engage the Trump wars
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:33:49 am »
Quote from: article
In a Washington Post piece this week, columnist Michael Gerson criticizes evangelical Trump supporters for excusing the president’s moral failures in exchange for “political benefits.”

Gerson’s piece is needlessly condescending, yet it illustrates why Christians need a higher standard for engaging government. Why as believers in the King of Kings, we must think bigger and look higher than our earthly leaders.

“When presented with the binary choice of Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, I can understand a certain amount of anguish,” Gerson writes of evangelicals who voted Trump. “But that is not a reason to become sycophants, cheerleaders and enablers.”

And on that point, he’s right.

As Christians, we have no business excusing the Billy Bush tapes, apologizing for crude language, trying to justify Trump’s moral failures under a suspect banner of “forgiveness,” or blindly decrying every accusation leveled against him as false.

Yet neither need do we need to “prove” our moral integrity by joining the chorus of those who mock and sneer and condemn the president’s every move.

In fact, our Christian ethic loses its authenticity when it offers allegiance to the either side of the either-or, Republican-Democrat dichotomy. Our faith should be bigger than that. You don’t have to wear the banner of “Trump hater” or “Trump supporter.” You can wave the banner of Christ instead...........SNIP.............

Rest of opinion piece can be found here.... for the most part I agree with it...

http://thefamilyleader.com/how-christians-should-engage-the-trump-wars/
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: How Christians should engage the Trump wars
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:52:52 am »
The only biblical requirement is to pray for our leaders so that we may live in quiet peace according to Godliness and dignity.

There is no biblical requirement to support or cheerlead rulers who governs contrary to God's Laws or Natural law.

As to celebrating publicly when Trump does things that comport with righteousness or applaud stances that serve our principles - NO, I will not be offering that.  I may nod in silent agreement to myself,  but I'll never publicly display any gratitude or applause.  As one Trump Cheerleader here succinctly stated twice in just the last couple of days, I would be hurting Trump's "brand" by agreeing with and supporting anything he says or does.  So out of respect for the cult of personality - I will refrain from commenting in the positive.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: How Christians should engage the Trump wars
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:06 am »
Wow. Micheal Gerson piece bashing Trump. I am astonished.