Author Topic: Trump says he's open to citizenship path for DACA recipients  (Read 4771 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Trump says he's open to citizenship path for DACA recipients
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »
Because those being amnestied can make a pretty strong argument that they were not an accessory to the crime but merely an innocent victim to the crime of being illegally transported across an international border, even though the perps were their parents.

Still, they can go through the process of becoming Citizens just like any other immigrant. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »
My statement was in response to libertybelle's cry of "BUILD THE WALL.  NO AMNESTY.  NO CHAIN MIGRATION"

It is morally indefensible to refuse to address the situation of the Dreamers, who were not culpable in coming here.   Saying "NO AMNESTY" to these folks exhibits a lack of basic compassion. 

As for the situation of their parents, it is one shared by approximately 11 million, who we've encouraged to come here to work, and allowed to remain.   While they undeniably broke the law when they crossed the border,  many of them have worked hard, established home ties and kept their noses clean.   Normalizing the situation of the good ones in exchange for the immigration and security changes conservatives want is, IMO, a good and fair deal.

Using my own case as a hypothetical, what if it had turned out my parents hadn’t brought me here legally and kept it secret from me? What if after decades of my living here the feds suddenly came and told me, sorry, but you’ve got to jump through loop after legality loop in order to continue your life here. I would not think well of a country like that, but I would always love my parents and would always stand up for them, even if they did break a civil law.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 06:15:01 pm »
Using my own case as a hypothetical, what if it had turned out my parents hadn’t brought me here legally and kept it secret from me? What if after decades of my living here the feds suddenly came and told me, sorry, but you’ve got to jump through loop after legality loop in order to continue your life here. I would not think well of a country like that, but I would always love my parents and would always stand up for them, even if they did break a civil law.

Those are fair points; but by definition "amnesty is pardoning breaking the law", so even legal residency is in a sense amnesty.

But when you start breaking the law, it really does start to get tricky. What about an inner-city young man who, say, steals a car at 18 or another young man who gets busted for opiods at a young age? Then, we should have some obligation to extend this compassion to others who do wrong. Maybe they had more control than a "Dreamer" but these Americans still deal with social environments that may have contributed to their action.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 06:16:45 pm »

What if pigs fly?

Your parents brought you here legally, and what you call 'loop after legality loop' is just a legal process that immigrants should be willing to pursue.

I mean a few legal hoops to jump through are not as arduous as scaling a wall or swimming here.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:17:30 pm by Emjay »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 06:33:39 pm »
Well, they are no longer minors for one thing.  I think they should have a path to citizenship, but it shouldn't be automatic.

@Emjay, just curious - why should they be moved ahead of others? 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:33:55 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2018, 06:53:12 pm »
@Emjay, just curious - why should they be moved ahead of others?

I don't think they should be.  But there are a ton of illegals living in this country right now, and, supposedly, they all have a path to citizenship.

I just think the 'dreamers' should be allowed on the same path.

Right now, it seems that illegals cannot automatically be deported unless they commit a crime.

If I'm wrong about that, tell me.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2018, 07:12:57 pm »
I don't think they should be.  But there are a ton of illegals living in this country right now, and, supposedly, they all have a path to citizenship.

I just think the 'dreamers' should be allowed on the same path.

Right now, it seems that illegals cannot automatically be deported unless they commit a crime.

If I'm wrong about that, tell me.

Yes, illegals can be deported with the only crime that of being here illegally.  Happens all the time. 

Illegals only have a path to citizenship if we allow it - and they still have to get in line.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:06 pm »
Yes, illegals can be deported with the only crime that of being here illegally.  Happens all the time. 

Illegals only have a path to citizenship if we allow it - and they still have to get in line.

I'd like to know more about that.  Do I have to do it myself or do you have a link?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2018, 07:22:06 pm »
I'd like to know more about that.  Do I have to do it myself or do you have a link?

We should probably all know more about it.  There is that site that @rangerrebew posts from fairly often.  Ranger, can you help?