Author Topic: Trump says he's open to citizenship path for DACA recipients  (Read 4772 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says he's open to citizenship path for DACA recipients
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:39:00 pm »
By Jordan Fabian - 01/24/18 06:23 PM EST

President Trump on Wednesday said he is open to offering young immigrants a pathway to citizenship over 10-12 years.

Under his forthcoming immigration plan, Trump told reporters that protections for recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program would "morph into" citizenship over that period.

“We’re going to morph into it. It’s going to happen, at some point in the future, over a period of 10 to 12 years," he said.

A senior administration official later clarified that citizenship is a "discussion point" in the plan and that young immigrants would have to meet certain conditions in order to gain it.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/370611-trump-open-to-path-to-citizenship-for-daca-recipients
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump says he's open to citizenship path for DACA recipients
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:40:42 pm »
This has to be the 8th different position he has taken on this.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:05:44 am »

Worst of all, it allows them to jump the line and remain here without consequence for the interim.  That’s amnesty any way you look at it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:06:07 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:33:43 am »
By Jordan Fabian - 01/24/18 06:23 PM EST

President Trump on Wednesday said he is open to offering young immigrants a pathway to citizenship over 10-12 years.

Under his forthcoming immigration plan, Trump told reporters that protections for recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program would "morph into" citizenship over that period.

“We’re going to morph into it. It’s going to happen, at some point in the future, over a period of 10 to 12 years," he said.

A senior administration official later clarified that citizenship is a "discussion point" in the plan and that young immigrants would have to meet certain conditions in order to gain it.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/370611-trump-open-to-path-to-citizenship-for-daca-recipients

Certain conditions? I can think of only one: breathing.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 12:35:38 am »

Worst of all, it allows them to jump the line and remain here without consequence for the interim.  That’s amnesty any way you look at it.

Let's see how this plays out, not that I disagree with you.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 12:50:13 am »
Let's see how this plays out, not that I disagree with you.

All I can do is comment on what he’s said.  As it’s been pointed out, what he says changes frequently.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 01:12:18 am »

Absolutely.  Build the Wall.  NO AMNESTY!!  Those are the two campaign promises that he cannot backpedal on if he expects or wants the GOP to retain the majority in 2018.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 01:16:47 am »
Certain conditions? I can think of only one: breathing.

Breathing ... AND meeting other requirements maybe.

Like having acquired an education, speaking English and being gainfully employed (if over 18 which nearly all of them are) and paying taxes.

And, of course, having a clean record with the law.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 01:17:39 am »

All I can do is comment on what he’s said.  As it’s been pointed out, what he says changes frequently.

Right, but what did he say that was specific?  Not much, just that he was open to discussions.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53:04 am »
Absolutely.  Build the Wall.  NO AMNESTY!!  Those are the two campaign promises that he cannot backpedal on if he expects or wants the GOP to retain the majority in 2018.

I live much happier knowing my bar was never set that high, @libertybele and as to your second point, holding the Congress, that is purely conjecture a year out BUT Trump, like Coach Popovich of the Spurs, I've learned that underestimating them is an exercise in futility.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 01:59:11 am »

I am fine with the 700,000 current DACA set on a path to citizenship in 10-12 years. As long as the wall is funded, chain immigration ended, mandatory e-verify, all federal funds stopped to sanctuary States as long as any city in that State is a sanctuary for illegals.

Oh, and I want two scoops of ice cream.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 02:25:11 am »

I am fine with the 700,000 current DACA set on a path to citizenship in 10-12 years. As long as the wall is funded, chain immigration ended, mandatory e-verify, all federal funds stopped to sanctuary States as long as any city in that State is a sanctuary for illegals.

Except allowing them to stay wasn't what he campaigned on.  He had specifically said they all bad to go and perhaps come back. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L01yYp3vTbA

Of course, we also heard how uninformed he was and evolving from his CoS.  Plus, there are all the various forms the wall would take.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=szKbFiZVZQo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:26:04 am by edpc »

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 02:32:10 am »
Breathing ... AND meeting other requirements maybe.

Like having acquired an education, speaking English and being gainfully employed (if over 18 which nearly all of them are) and paying taxes.

And, of course, having a clean record with the law.

Nothing "clean with the law" about being here illegally. Fake social security numbers etc...

Offline Fantom

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 02:36:44 am »

Except allowing them to stay wasn't what he campaigned on.  He had specifically said they all bad to go and perhaps come back. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L01yYp3vTbA

Of course, we also heard how uninformed he was and evolving from his CoS.  Plus, there are all the various forms the wall would take.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=szKbFiZVZQo

So, would you be happier if those 700,000 got a paid vacation in ..say Cancun, then came back. Just so a "campaign promise"  was fulfilled? Or would you rather have the rest of what I posted... possibly?

Personally, this Cruz man is really happy with Trump doing what he "campaigned" on.  Pretty good record in my book, compared to say Bush/or any dem.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 02:39:05 am »

Nope.  As the candidate and the President Trump has always been open to this ... limiting what that path is and ending the program.

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 02:46:26 am »
Nope.  As the candidate and the President Trump has always been open to this ... limiting what that path is and ending the program.

I call BS to your preposterous allegations @Right_in_Virginia 

On day ONE he could've signed an EO overturning obummer's BS DACA Memorandum and he campaigned on that very issue for 18 months.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 02:53:06 am »
   I call BS to your preposterous allegations @Right_in_Virginia 

On day ONE he could've signed an EO overturning obummer's BS DACA Memorandum and he campaigned on that very issue for 18 months.

I don't care what you call @corbe    I've been listening to the man --unfiltered-- since he rode the now infamous escalator back in 2015.  My post stands.

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 02:59:45 am »
So, would you be happier if those 700,000 got a paid vacation in ..say Cancun, then came back. Just so a "campaign promise"  was fulfilled? Or would you rather have the rest of what I posted... possibly?

I'd rather people who were here illegally got deported, regardless of circumstance.  However, that's just me.  I'm not the one sitting behind the desk who promised everyone law and order. 

As far as the rest of what you posted goes, chain migration will be limited, not eliminated.  The lottery is something few people understand or really care about.  Trump doesn't even know what it really entails.  The wall won't be anything like what he originally described, even though he's tried to say it's been the same all along.

The problem with the DACA issue is that it's been going on for years.  Most of these 'kids' are full grown adults, meaning hundreds of thousands got in over time, only to be excused.  We saw this happen in 1986 and we'll see it again.  Just because a facsimile of a barrier gets built doesn't mean there won't be other ways in.  They'll just be excused again in another 30-40 years when one of the anchor baby children of these 'dreamers' is president.

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 03:00:33 am »
   I know you don't care @Right_in_Virginia and that infamous escalator ride in 2015 is seared into my memory, I'd appreciate it if you refrained from triggering that memory.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 03:02:10 am »

What makes you think he cares about that?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 03:48:17 am »
He said he is "morphing" to give DACA citizenship in 10-12 yrs. "It's incentive."
By tomorrow, he will likely say something different.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 03:51:04 am »
All along, I thought he advocated what was called "touch-back" amnesty, meaning, go back to your country, wait in line, pay any due taxes, things like that. C-ship will be a point of contention alright.  But the Dems will want everything, what Trump will be pushing is having the wall, border security, end chain migration and so on.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »
Who here thinks the president can simply get ALL that he wants on immigration....that he can wave his wand and send back 700,000 dreamers while getting a wall, ending chain migration, and increased Border Patrol and immigration enforcement? We live in a Republic, and the President must both negotiate AND...yes...compromise if he wants to get ANY legislation passed. So, he MUST hold DACA as a trading card...to get all of the other things listed above that he...and we...want.

Further, the impact of giving 700,000 DACA persons a long path to citizenship can be integrated into the annual immigration numbers...if a million come in legally each year, the DACA folks come out of that number, this no net increase in immigration. Better to make citizens of 700,000 people already somewhat “Americanized” than to bring in 700,000 others who are not.

Bottom line, if Trump does NOT offer DACA as a chip in this bargaining, how in the heck would you have him get enough votes to get the Wall, end Chain Migration and attain the other goals we have for increased enforcement?
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 01:35:40 pm »

That's bass-ackwards, as explained well by Daniel Henninger in this morning's WSJ.    The growing influence of Hispanic voters in bellwether states like Texas and Florida threatens to deny the Republican party the ability to ever win the Presidency again,  if it cedes the Dreamers to the Dems.   

A deal regarding the Dreamers is in the best interest of the Republican party's future.  Polling shows voters support normalization for the Dreamers by margins of 70 - 80 percent.   That's why the Dems are forcing the issue - they know it's a tarbaby for Republicans:  If the GOP insists on punishing the "crimes" of folks who were brought to this country by their parents, and know no other home than this one, than the Hispanic vote - of which Republicans have historically garnered upwards of 40 - 45 percent - will be forever lost.  And so will Florida and Texas.   

As Mr. Henninger wrote:

When polling numbers [favoring letting Dreamers off the deportation hook] hit that level, the politics of an issue are usually over.  Except, as always for Republicans, if the subject is immigration.  Rarely has a political party fallen so deeply in love with a ball and chain.

President Trump says "I think it's a nice thing to have the incentive of, after a period of years, being able to become a citizen".   He's right.   Compassion exhibited toward  the Dreamers will help separate conservatives from the tarbaby,  and let us focus on the substantive issues of border security and the role of legal immigration in the growth of the U.S. labor market.   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:40:34 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 01:47:55 pm »
Who here thinks the president can simply get ALL that he wants on immigration....that he can wave his wand and send back 700,000 dreamers while getting a wall, ending chain migration, and increased Border Patrol and immigration enforcement? We live in a Republic, and the President must both negotiate AND...yes...compromise if he wants to get ANY legislation passed. So, he MUST hold DACA as a trading card...to get all of the other things listed above that he...and we...want.

Further, the impact of giving 700,000 DACA persons a long path to citizenship can be integrated into the annual immigration numbers...if a million come in legally each year, the DACA folks come out of that number, this no net increase in immigration. Better to make citizens of 700,000 people already somewhat “Americanized” than to bring in 700,000 others who are not.

Bottom line, if Trump does NOT offer DACA as a chip in this bargaining, how in the heck would you have him get enough votes to get the Wall, end Chain Migration and attain the other goals we have for increased enforcement?

Yes, the Dreamers represent a bargaining chip,  but the optics of their situation make them a weak one.   Remember, the Dems don't really want to help the Dreamers, but rather hurt the Republican party.    They know the public doesn't favor amnesty for "true" illegals, but favors it for those who were brought here as children  - that is, through no choice of their own -  and have never known any other home.   The Dreamers are sympathetic precisely because they aren't culpable.  Americans seek to be fair - and taking a hard stance toward those who aren't culpable will hurt the GOP politically.   The Dems are counting on this.   

We should trade DACA for what we can get, but we should be under no illusions that we can get all we want by using the Dreamers.   Changes to family-based immigration,  the Wall, E-verify and punishment for sanctuary cities will come only in the context of a comprehensive bill that addresses the status of culpable illegals.    The Dreamers are a tool for the Dems to drive conservatives to taking an untenable extreme position toward sympathetic people that will cause us to lose the next elections.   Let's not be so foolish as to embrace the tar baby.   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:50:22 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide