Author Topic: Nuclear reactors the size of wastebaskets could power our Martian settlements. Small, but mighty.  (Read 449 times)

rangerrebew

Nuclear reactors the size of wastebaskets could power our Martian settlements
Small, but mighty.
By Mary Beth Griggs January 18, 2018

NASA

The cylinder of uranium is the size of a coffee can. Even with its shielding and detectors, the device is still no larger than a wastepaper basket. But this little prototype, soon to be tested in the Nevada desert, fuels a dream of an off-world future for humanity.

The Kilopower project, a joint venture between NASA and the Department of Energy, is set to be the first nuclear fission reactor to reach space since the SNAP 10A project in the 1960s. A prototype is in testing, which makes it closer to launch than any of the other projects that popped up in the intervening decades.

https://www.popsci.com/nuclear-reactors-mars

Offline dfwgator

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I guess it would maybe be essential on some planets,but surely any planet suitable for human life would get enough sun that a solar generator would be more practical and safer?

Granted,solar technology isn't that advanced yet,but it's coming.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Its not a new concept.  The russians had portable heaters the size of a paint can.   They'd carry those around instead of building a fire.

Yep a can filled with dirty radioactive material that generated its own heat.   what could go wrong
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.