Author Topic: Trump’s merit-based immigration system  (Read 514 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump’s merit-based immigration system
« on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:14 pm »
Trump’s merit-based immigration system
Washington Times, Jan 21, 2018, Jeff Sessions

For decades, the American people have been begging and pleading with our elected officials for an immigration system that is lawful and that serves our national interest.

That’s not just because immigration is an economic issue. It’s also because it’s a matter of public safety and national security. If we can’t control — or even know — who enters this country, it’s much harder to keep people safe.

This is not a hypothetical matter. A new report from the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security reveals that nearly three out of every four people convicted of international terrorism-related offenses in federal courts since 9/11 were born outside of this country. Terrorists and their sympathizers shouldn’t be allowed in this country, and yet this report shows that hundreds of them have endangered the lives of the citizens we work for.

The report goes on to state that over the same time, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has removed more than 1,700 aliens with national security concerns, and that the vast majority of the FBI’s open counterterrorism investigations in the United States arise from threats by international terrorists.

More:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/21/donald-trumps-immigration-principles-will-make-ame/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Trump’s merit-based immigration system
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 05:15:08 pm »
It is obvious a poverty level uneducated person from a 3rd world location and culture, brings nothing to America, but problems. He/she goes straight on the dole.

I seriously doubt that the "Greatest Generation" would be confused about immigration. I believe they possessed the common sense, to not needlessly increase risks and dangers.

I related matters, I do not think legal immigrants should vote for ten years.

And overall I think the voting age should be raised to 30 years of age.

People bitch evryday about our ill-educated population, then turn around and let them vote at age 18.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 05:20:16 pm »
A new report from the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security reveals that nearly three out of every four people convicted of international terrorism-related offenses in federal courts since 9/11 were born outside of this country.

So what?   Most immigrants are law-abiding.   I know the Second Amendment advocates keep pounding this narrative - punish criminals, not the law-abiding.   What's different here?   The need to deport criminals doesn't mean we need to reduce legal immigration, or even change the basis for legal immigration.

Changes should be based on their merits to the economy.   Let's not forget that the family-based immigration was originally enacted decades ago not to help the economy but to keep the immigrant pool on the whiter side.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:27 pm »
Point of clarification.  In post 2, @Jazzhead is quoting Jeff Sessions, not me.