Author Topic: Trudeau announces trade agreement without U.S.  (Read 452 times)

Offline Suppressed

Trudeau announces trade agreement without U.S.
« on: January 24, 2018, 07:24:13 am »
Trudeau announces trade agreement without U.S.
CBS/AP
Last Updated Jan 23, 2018 7:39 PM EST

DAVOS, Switzerland - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada and the remaining 11 countries of the Trans-Pacific Partnership have agreed to a revised trade agreement. The deal comes exactly one year after President Trump withdrew his country from the agreement.

[...]

Trudeau says the pact meets Canada's objectives of creating and sustaining growth, prosperity and well-paying middle-class jobs today and for generations to come.

[...]

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trudeau-announces-trade-agreement-without-u-s/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Trudeau announces trade agreement without U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 07:25:21 am »
Good!  The American consumer has gotten away far too long paying cheaper prices!

And America has been a world leader for far too long...it's about time we stand aside!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:48:26 am »
Good!  The American consumer has gotten away far too long paying cheaper prices!

And America has been a world leader for far too long...it's about time we stand aside!

Yeah. I guess you missed the part where Trudeau bragged about how "Progressive" this pact was.

“We are pleased with the progress we have made to make this deal more progressive and stronger for Canadian workers on intellectual property, culture and the automotive sector.

“Trade helps strengthen the middle class but for it to work we must ensure the benefits are shared with all of our citizens, not just the few.

“The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership is a new step on that path.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/908890/Donald-Trump-news-United-States-Canada-Justin-Trudeau-Trans-Pacific-Partnership

Also it is not very popular with workers in Canada. As a matter of fact they are saying that Trump has the upper hand now....

Flavio Volpe of the Toronto-based Auto Parts Manufacturers' Association said this agreement moves Canada in the exact opposite direction of where the U.S. is headed, just as the tense North American Free Trade Agreement talks resume.

He said the U.S. is pushing for a new NAFTA that increases domestic content requirements, and keeps Chinese parts out of North America, but the revised Asia-Pacific pact reduces local requirements and lets more product from non-TPP countries like China into the market.

"This could not be a dumber move at a more important time," Volpe said in an interview.

Unifor President Jerry Dias, head of Canada's largest private sector union, was also quick to slam the deal, saying it would be detrimental to  workers.

"This isn't progress for workers, it's a mockery," he tweeted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tpp-champagne-deal-1.4499616

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:20:35 am »
Yes, it helps the Canadian economy and consumer, not propping up businesses and labour unions artificially.
+++++++++