Author Topic: DID THE GOP REALLY WIN THE SHUTDOWN SHOWDOWN?  (Read 910 times)

Offline endicom

DID THE GOP REALLY WIN THE SHUTDOWN SHOWDOWN?
« on: January 24, 2018, 12:17:16 am »
Power Line
Paul Mirengoff
Jan. 23, 2018

My initial reaction to the deal that ended the partial government shutdown was that Chuck Schumer caved and that the deal was a big win for Republicans. That’s the conventional view shared by, to name just a few, Brit Hume, Marc Thiessen, and Ben Shapiro .

However, I’m no longer sure this was a true victory for Republicans, at least those of the conservative variety. The Democrats may have received more than they are getting credit for, and they may be able to parlay what they got into a win, or at least a draw, down the road.

As I understand it, the Democrats got a promise from Mitch McConnell to allow a vote in the coming weeks on DACA and other immigration matters. McConnell also said there will be a level playing field in the debate over such legislation.

More... http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/01/did-the-gop-really-win-the-shutdown-showdown.php

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: DID THE GOP REALLY WIN THE SHUTDOWN SHOWDOWN?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:23:22 am »
What he is asking is who really wins in an exercise of measuring who has the biggest dicks in congress.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:28:49 am »
This is the stupidest article I read all day written by a complete moron. It was an absolute defeat for the rats. Plugging in a bunch of Woulda Coulda Shouldas after the fact is idiotic.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:30:26 am »
Yes.   It forced the dems to admit they'll put illegals over America.   Proved it beyond a shadow of doubt.

That's ok with their radical base.   Their radical base isn't big enough for them to win Congress or the White house.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 12:31:17 am »
What did the GOP "Win"?

Until February 8th to play this game that they are reigning champions of once again:

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 12:47:42 am »
NYT, AP, Bloomberg, And Legacy Media Blame Dems For Gov’t shutdown

Many of the country’s top media outfits blamed the Democratic Party for allowing the government to shutdown instead of bridging a budget impasse with Republicans in the Senate.

“U.S. Shutdown Starts as Senate Democrats Block GOP Funding Plan” a Bloomberg headline blared early Saturday morning, referring to the Senate’s inability to agree on a variety of budgetary issues. The New York Times and AP chimed in with similar headlines.

Republican and Democratic leaders have not stopped talking through their differences. Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, for instance, said late Friday night that the conflict has a “really good chance” of being resolved before the weekend concludes.

Both parties took substantial risks during the negotiations. Republicans refused to bend to the Democrat’s demands to negotiate, while the minority party largely unified to use the shutdown deadline to exact protections from the GOP for hundreds of thousands of young illegal immigrants.

Media outlets, meanwhile, painted the issue in harsh tones for the Democrats — one NYT headline declared: “Senate Democrat Block Bill to Keep Government Open Past Midnight, Shutdown Looms,” while the AP simply noted that, “Senate Democrats derail bill to avert shutdown.”

Republicans tried to sweeten the deal, offering Democrats a long-term extension of the Children’s Health Insurance Program, or CHIP, as well as the delay of some unpopular health-care taxes. Republican Party leaders believed the public would blame their colleagues on the other side of the political aisle if the sweetener was rejected.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/20/media-blames-dems-for-shutdown/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 01:29:28 am »
This is the stupidest article I read all day written by a complete moron. It was an absolute defeat for the rats. Plugging in a bunch of Woulda Coulda Shouldas after the fact is idiotic.

A temporary defeat. The DACA battle, if the Pubs fight, is upcoming along with another round of funding follies. Rome wasn't debauched in a day and we can't tidy up DC in a day.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:37:46 am »
A temporary defeat. The DACA battle, if the Pubs fight, is upcoming along with another round of funding follies. Rome wasn't debauched in a day and we can't tidy up DC in a day.

Rome wasn't also in debt to the tune of tens of TRILLIONS that keeps growing exponentially on a daily basis due the retards and oligarchs in D.C.

Methinks instead of 320 years of decline and collapse, we might have weeks and months before the unavoidable consequences of violating mathematics and gravity visit us and our posterity in full.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 01:44:03 am »
The GOP didn't gain a whole lot other than a brief moment of claiming victory for once over the DEMS.  Other than that they have gained nothing.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:53:07 am »
The GOP didn't gain a whole lot other than a brief moment of claiming victory for once over the DEMS.  Other than that they have gained nothing.

I hope they've learned that they can come out on top.

Offline bilo

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 03:28:57 am »
Yes.   It forced the dems to admit they'll put illegals over America.   Proved it beyond a shadow of doubt.

That's ok with their radical base.   Their radical base isn't big enough for them to win Congress or the White house.

Your right. I believe the polling runs as high as 65% agree with Trump's position that the wall needs to be built, chain migration and the diversity lottery ended in return for some type of permanent status for the DACA people.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 09:54:34 pm »
They can call a vote on a clean bill a win if they want to.  Even if the bill gets cloture and passes the Senate, it still has to go through the House and get signed by the President.  If it sucks and Trump vetoes it, good luck with the 2/3 override.  If it sucks and he signs it, then they can say it was a win.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 10:14:40 pm »
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is what the GOP does,  I don't expect it to be any different this time.

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 10:32:31 pm »
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is what the GOP does,  I don't expect it to be any different this time.

The author wrote this today:

My first take on the deal that ended the brief partial government shutdown was that Chuck Schumer caved and the deal was a big win for Republicans. My second take was that my first take might be wrong — that the Democrats may have received more than they are getting credit for, and may be able to parlay what they got into a win, or at least a draw, down the road.

My third take is that my first take is probably been closer to the mark. A reader, Tom Lopez, writes:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/01/the-deal-take-three.php

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 10:52:37 pm »
The author wrote this today:

My first take on the deal that ended the brief partial government shutdown was that Chuck Schumer caved and the deal was a big win for Republicans. My second take was that my first take might be wrong — that the Democrats may have received more than they are getting credit for, and may be able to parlay what they got into a win, or at least a draw, down the road.

My third take is that my first take is probably been closer to the mark. A reader, Tom Lopez, writes:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/01/the-deal-take-three.php

So my original statement that this guy is a stupid moron has been born out. Awesome.