Author Topic: Trump: Senate Should Change Rules If Shutdown Stalemate Continues  (Read 423 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
 WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that if the government shutdown stalemate continued, Republicans should fund the government by changing Senate rules, which currently require a super-majority for appropriations bills to pass.

"The Dems (Democrats) just want illegal immigrants to pour into our nation unchecked. If stalemate continues, Republicans should go to 51 percent (Nuclear Option) and vote on real, long term budget," Trump said on Twitter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-senate-change-rules-shutdown-stalemate-continues-141251405--business.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:41:44 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline MajorClay

Re: Trump: Senate Should Change Rules If Shutdown Stalemate Continues
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:12:49 pm »
Nah, let it go until after the Super Bowl

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:45:39 am »
Exactly what I've been recommending for quite some time now:
End the filibuster rule.
50 votes +1 to pass anything in the Senate.

The Constitution itself specifies those few instances where a supermajority is required.
Passing run-of-the-mill legislation in the Senate IS NOT one of them.

Just end it!

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:49:01 am »

It's not without real risk. How would one like a "deal" Turban Durban/Amnesty Gramn style?

Unless absolute party discipline could be achieved...Ala' Gorsuch vote. One risks a one or two vote traitor in the RINO ranks.... Lord knows they have that, along with the communist/dem party.... to deliver a fatal blow to America.

Of course you have backup in the House, and probably President Trump.

Still, I would feel far more comfortable to beat the communist/dems  'Bout the head and shoulders all year... over pandering to illegal aliens over Americans. Let the regressive/left shut down the government every two weeks till November , pandering to illegal aliens... delicious.

Can you say no need to end the filibuster... 61+ R Senators.

Should that not happen, 54-58 R Senators. I would be much more comfortable, ..a Grhamnesty was not the key vote.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass