Author Topic: Something Shocking Happened in Florida After the Alaska Earthquake: Well Water Levels Changed  (Read 442 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
https://weather.com/news/news/2018-01-24-alaska-earthquake-florida-wells-shaking

Tuesday's 7.9 magnitude earthquake in the Gulf of Alaska sent vibrations through the earth that caused water to rise and fall in wells in Florida, thousands of miles away.

Sensors near Fort Lauderdale and Madison, near the Georgia border, showed a minor change in water levels after the earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

A water level rise from 41.59 feet to 41.77 feet was recorded at the well near Madison before it returned to normal. At the well near Fort Lauderdale, the water level fell from 1.42 feet to 1.31 feet.

Why did water levels in these wells some 3,800 miles away from the earthquake's epicenter change?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
From another source:

The phenomena are called a “Hydrogeologic response” by the USGS - they explained that the horrifying earthquake in Alaska was not the first time this has been seen.

They declared: “Hydrogeologic responses to earthquakes have been known for decades, and have occurred both close to, and thousands of miles from earthquake epicentres.

“Water wells have become turbid, dry or begun flowing, discharge of springs and ground water to streams has increased and new springs have formed, and well and surface-water quality have become degraded as a result of earthquakes.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I've heard of it the area near the earthquake.  I didn't realize it could have an effect so far away.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.