Author Topic: Study: Guys With More Testosterone Don’t Like "Sophisticated" Music  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Study: Guys With More Testosterone Don’t Like "Sophisticated" Music
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 07:10:05 pm »

That sumbitch couldn't hold a skinflute to The musical stylings of Boxcar Willie.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 08:16:23 pm »
Yes, those bands had a huge influence on pop music, it's still being felt.

However: Lyrics are not music. They're poetry. The Melody those Lyrics are set to is music.

@To-Whose-Benefit? 

You are splitting hairs. You mention Somewhere Over the Rainbow further down,but give a listen to this rendition of the song by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole,that is pared down to just his voice and his ukulele,and try to tell me that voice isn't creating musical magic.

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole

When you chart out the Chord Changes of those songs: IE: I, IV, V, IV, etc. Bach covered all of that and a lot more centuries ago.

So what? He didn't invent them. They have existed since the dawn of time. He just ARRANGED them in a way that was better than most others.

Look at the Lyrics on Top of the Music to Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

That tune's lasted so well over time because it's got it All.

Anyone who can listen to any respectable rendition of that tune and not be moved by it doesn't have a soul.
[/size][/b]

No question about that. Regardless of what type of music is your favorite,you are going to like that.

Same with the music written by George and Ira Gershwin. Find me someone that doesn't like their music,and you have found someone that is tone deaf as well as soulless. People talk about Memphis as the home of American music,but it really began on a street in NYC nicknamed "Tin Pan Alley". Amazing isn't a strong enough word to describe the volume,quality,and even the originality of the music written and produced in one small area of one city.

Yeah,the Blue Grass,which came from the Protestant Churches as hymns,was filtering out of the southern mountain areas,and turning into the country,then blues,and then later on rock and roll,but it was Tin Pan Alley in NYC that had the "music machine" in place to stamp out the records to sell all over the country,and to print the sheet music so local musicians all over could learn to play it.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 09:31:49 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit?

BTW,give a listen to this violin tune and tell me what you think Beethoven,Brahms,etc,etc,etc would think of this.

I freely admit to being shocked,and being more impressed and liking it better every single time I play it. I can just "get lost" in it.

! No longer available

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 09:44:14 pm »
@sneakypete

"You are splitting hairs. You mention Somewhere Over the Rainbow further down,but give a listen to this rendition of the song by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole,that is pared down to just his voice and his ukulele,and try to tell me that voice isn't creating musical magic."

Sorry friend. It's only what any music teacher will tell you.

I'm not arguing that this Big guy isn't a great singer. He's terrific.

Lyrics are words, not melody. Look up the sheet music online. The Words and the Music they ride on are on separate spaces, one beneath the other. Music is the Pitches and Duration in traditional notation. The words don't need a musical staff to ride on. They can be printed anywhere and understood Perfectly without one.

You could write different words to the song and the Melody would give them away.

"So what? He didn't invent them. They have existed since the dawn of time. He just ARRANGED them in a way that was better than most others."

Not exactly, and not in Every case, but Yes, Bach Did Invent modern Western Harmony. The interval of the Flat Five (half step below the normal fifth) was in Bach's day On the Church's official Hit List as the Devil's Interval. Also called a tritone. 2 consecutive minor 3rds stacked on top of each other. Bach not only beat the Church at their own game but got them to PAY Him to figure out how to use it, to glorify God.

There's considerably more to it than just dropping a deck of 52 Chords on the table a reshuffling them.

Modulation (key change) in a pop band rarely goes beyond just sliding the whole she-bang up or down a couple of notes. Just tell your mates "OK, At the 3rd verse we modulate Up a whole step" usually means just have the guitar and bass players physically move Everything Up or Down by so many frets on their instrument, and repeat it verbatim.

In classical composition it involves at least 8 common practice period rules known as SATB (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) 4 part vocal writing. To shift into a different Key you usually select a Dominant or Secondary Dominant Chord that shares a chord tone with another chord in the new key you're modulating to.

It's more than just adjusting a necktie, considerably more.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:44:55 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 09:53:51 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit?

I'm not arguing that this Big guy isn't a great singer. He's terrific.

Lyrics are words, not melody.

They are/can be melody when sang. Taking your definition,there is no such thing as music,it's just notes and scales printed on a sheet of paper.

Having said that,I think we are doing a lot of "talking past" one another on this and if you set aside individual definitions,we agree on more than is apparent from reading our messages.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:08 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit?

BTW,give a listen to this violin tune and tell me what you think Beethoven,Brahms,etc,etc,etc would think of this.

I freely admit to being shocked,and being more impressed and liking it better every single time I play it. I can just "get lost" in it.

! No longer available

Thanks. I'm familiar with it.

As for what Bach and Beethoven would think of it, they've already weighed in.

! No longer available

That, is a piece I was at one time Intimately familiar with, having worked it up on Classical Guitar. Girl Friend was not amused. Everytime she walked through the room while I was playing it she asked "Who Died." Which, if I'd been older and wiser would have told me, along with her collection of whiny, nasally 3 chord Country music about broken hearts, pickup trucks, and romance revenges, that it was us who'd died, as a thing.

And I can tell you from personal experience, it's harder than it looks.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:59:52 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 10:34:46 pm »
6 hrs a day, 7 days a week for 10 years on a Classical Guitar on top of a bunch of Suck, 40 hr Day jobs and I had to face the fact that the political connections needed to become a concert performer were still beyond reach, Finally sent me back to my Les Paul. But it wasn't all for naught.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonatas-Partitas-Schirmers-Library-Classics/dp/0793554624/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7DP6YSAWX6SYBTJD671A

Hit these things with a vengeance, with my Les Paul, flat pick, and an amp set to Meltdown.

Ain't no cheating or chiseling around the edges with these.

They WILL make an Honest man of you, if they don't kill you in the process.

One of the best investments I ever made.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 10:56:17 pm »
@sneakypete

"Having said that,I think we are doing a lot of "talking past" one another on this and if you set aside individual definitions,we agree on more than is apparent from reading our messages."

Bingo!

We do agree, on a lot.

Pianist Bill Evans said he viewed Jazz Improvisation as 'Holographic' (if I remember the exact word he used).

Hold up the whole egg, the globe as it were, and turn it 360 degrees in all directions, for as many different perspectives as you can get.

I think you and I are just looking through that globe from different angles/perspectives, so we're Seeing the same thing, just from slightly different angles.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:56:48 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »