Author Topic: Spider bite leaves medic in excruciating pain for 6 months  (Read 759 times)

rangerrebew

Spider bite leaves medic in excruciating pain for 6 months
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »

Spider bite leaves medic in excruciating pain for 6 months

Published December 01, 2017

A trainee medic has been left barely able to walk and in excruciating pain for six months due to a mysterious spider bite.

Jasmine Harris, 21, woke with a small puncture wound like two pin pricks on her lower right leg one Sunday in May.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/12/01/spider-bite-leaves-medic-in-excruciating-pain-for-6-months.html

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Re: Spider bite leaves medic in excruciating pain for 6 months
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:55:39 pm »
 A couple of years ago my brother was visiting at his son’s over Thanksgiving. Toward the end of the weekend, his ring finger on his left hand started hurting and then his whole hand started hurting.

By the time he got home that Sunday his finger and then his hand became swollen and was hot to the touch. By Monday morning he had a red streak running up his hand all the way up to his elbow and was in extreme pain. He went to his doctor that same day and his doctor immediately sent him to the hospital where he was quickly admitted and later diagnosed with cellulitis Staphylococcus aureus.

He spent over a month in the hospital on IV antibiotics and had to have surgery on his finger to remove the infected tissue followed by daily whirlpool therapy. And when he got home he was home administered IV antibiotics for another month.

At one point the doctors were considering amputation of not just his finger but his hand because if they couldn’t stop the infection from spreading, it could be fatal.

They don’t know how he got this but suspected it was from a spider bite, perhaps a Brown Recluse. He had just before Thanksgiving, been working in his yard and clearing dead branches and leaves and was not wearing gloves as he usually did.

The infection and the surgery destroyed the tendon in his ring finger and is permanently frozen in a curled up position.

Here's a picture my SIL took while he was in the hospital:

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Spider bite leaves medic in excruciating pain for 6 months
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:24:35 pm »
My son was bit in the thigh by a brown recluse in OCS.  They sent him to the base hospital but gave him 24 hours to be back or drop out.  He was back in 12 hours.  Left a hole on the tissue on his thigh that he could put his thumb in.

Brown Recluse are nasty little beasts.  Long sleeves, long pants and gloves are a must in areas where they can be found.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.