Author Topic: 'We're sex workers and we vote': Women's March event shines light on a marginalized group  (Read 1568 times)

Offline goodwithagun

By Beth Greenfield, January 23, 2018

Of the many, many impactful statements made onstage at the Women’s March Power to the Polls event in Las Vegas on Sunday, one stood out for the uniqueness of its voice in the largely mainstream political context: “I am a mother, I am a grandmother, and I am a sex worker.”

The statement was made by Cris Sardinia, head of Desiree Alliance, a national coalition of sex workers and health professionals working toward harm reduction, advocacy, and education. She was the only one of 30-plus onstage speakers to focus on the rights of prostitutes, adult-film stars, strippers, and other sex workers as an issue.

Continued here: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sex-workers-vote-womens-march-event-shines-light-marginalized-group-213646567.html

I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

I literally can’t even. From prostitutes flaunting it to men claiming to be women joining the women’s march . . . it’s a cluster &#$@.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Suppressed

Call me old-fashioned, but I think they're just merchants providing personal services for currency, as long as it's voluntary. It's good they were recognized more this year as separate from traffickers.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

I literally can’t even. From prostitutes flaunting it to men claiming to be women joining the women’s march . . . it’s a cluster &#$@.

That has been the whole Rat party for at least 20 years.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Yeah, they pull levers, alright..... :nono:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mountaineer

This woman didn't mention male sex workers. Don't be a hater!
Maybe male prostitutes also will march for their rights.  Obama's friend Bobby probably hopes so, he'd like to meet them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Do strippers pay a pole tax?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

Do strippers pay a pole tax?

Yes, but they get a lot off.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline dfwgator

Offline jpsb

Offline Suppressed

This woman didn't mention male sex workers. Don't be a hater!

Yeah... what about Barney the Purple Dinosaur?!?
+++++++++

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Good Lord. That women is a bowling ball looking for an alley.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline andy58-in-nh

Good Lord. That women is a bowling ball looking for an alley.

I think she's the alley.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."