Author Topic: GOP Lawmakers Demand That 'Alarming' Memo On FISA Abuses Be Made Public  (Read 3183 times)

Offline ConservativeGranny

Re: GOP Lawmakers Demand That 'Alarming' Memo On FISA Abuses Be Made Public
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2018, 02:59:18 am »
@Concerned
The DOJ works for Trump.    Trump can fire anyone in the executive branch

But he cannot fire the special investigator/prosecutor. There is a good reason for that for example when the investigation involves the POTUS. The POTUS is not a king and the special investigator does not answer to the President. Wonder if Clinton had tried to fire Starr? What would we all be saying about that? Session recused himself so the only one who can fire Mueller is Rosenstein and he isn't going to do it. That leaves Trump with one option and that is to do what Clinton did and try to discredit Mueller which is what they are attempting to do. The Russians are trying to help which is kind of ironic since this is what Mueller's investigation is investigating :shrug:

We cannot have a President who has power to fire a special investigator/prosecutor. If we do we will be no better than any third world "****hole".

Offline Fantom

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 03:01:21 am »
But he cannot fire the special investigator/prosecutor. There is a good reason for that for example when the investigation involves the POTUS. The POTUS is not a king and the special investigator does not answer to the President. Wonder if Clinton had tried to fire Starr? What would we all be saying about that? Session recused himself so the only one who can fire Mueller is Rosenstein and he isn't going to do it. That leaves Trump with one option and that is to do what Clinton did and try to discredit Mueller which is what they are attempting to do. The Russians are trying to help which is kind of ironic since this is what Mueller's investigation is investigating :shrug:

We cannot have a President who has power to fire a special investigator/prosecutor. If we do we will be no better than any third world "****hole".

Wrong,  The President can fire them. That point is without dispute.

Politically it would be suicide.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:45 am »

Then that law is patently unconstitutional as it encroaches on presidential power.

Actually that law protects our Republic and Constitution. We are not ruled by kings here. If the president can fire a special prosecutor he can effectively shut down any investigation into his administration or himself. Apparently some people are fine with that when the president is playing for their team but what about when the POTUS has a "D" after their name.

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2018, 03:07:08 am »

Show me in the laws written covering a special prosecutor/investigator that says the president can do this. Until you can point to that this point is not in dispute.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2018, 03:11:42 am »
Actually that law protects our Republic and Constitution. We are not ruled by kings here. If the president can fire a special prosecutor he can effectively shut down any investigation into his administration or himself. Apparently some people are fine with that when the president is playing for their team but what about when the POTUS has a "D" after their name.

Actually, a "Special Prosecutor" has to be appointed by the DOJ. That is why there never was one appointed to investigate obama.  He owned his DOJ.

This one on President Trump is pure partisan BS. Deep State/GOPE/ garbage which should never have had life breathed into it's existence.

It is an attempted coup against the President America elected.. from damn near day one...based on a lie.

Sickens this Cruz man actually.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:11 am »
Show me in the laws written covering a special prosecutor/investigator that says the president can do this. Until you can point to that this point is not in dispute.

See my post 26 on the previous page.  One of the people who helped write special counsel rules says it’s possible and states why. It is well within the constitutional power of the executive. Whether it’s a good political move, at this point, is another story.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2018, 03:19:09 am »

Show me otherwise. Prove your point... that is right, you cannot.

The "Special Prosecutor" is appointed and serves by discretion of the DOJ. An executive department  serving at the discretion of the President.

Really, it is not in dispute. The Pres can fire the DOJ head if the DOJ head does not do what he wishes. Including firing a special prosecutor. Hell, the Executive..The Pres can do it himself if he wishes.

Now that may well trigger an impeachment. But the President has sole power over the Executive branch.

Care to prove otherwise?

Frederick Douglass

Online libertybele

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2018, 03:25:23 am »

Not sure I agree; if he doesn't fire Rosenstein it will be political suicide as people are beginning to wonder why he hasn't with all the corruption that is surrounding him and Mueller.  However, my hunch is IF the memo is released, he's not going to have to give reason for firing him.  The public will be demanding he be fired and held responsible along with a slew of others.  BUT, quite honestly, I have very little confidence that this information will be made public and feel that somehow it will be buried along with all the corruption that's been ongoing for at least a decade if not longer.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2018, 03:32:06 am »
Dems now spinning this as "Republican talking points pushed by Russian bots to obfuscate Mueller's investigation".

So, they know what's coming and are trying to discredit it.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 03:37:15 am »
Not sure I agree; if he doesn't fire Rosenstein it will be political suicide as people are beginning to wonder why he hasn't with all the corruption that is surrounding him and Mueller.  However, my hunch is IF the memo is released, he's not going to have to give reason for firing him.  The public will be demanding he be fired and held responsible along with a slew of others.  BUT, quite honestly, I have very little confidence that this information will be made public and feel that somehow it will be buried along with all the corruption that's been ongoing for at least a decade if not longer.

I think we are talking past each other.   ^-^

Frederick Douglass

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2018, 03:46:37 am »

I think the furor over this is reaching the point where the memo will have to be released.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2018, 04:01:50 am »
It makes sense to me. They must get this done before Bannon and Lewandowski testify to Mueller. They are running out of options to get rid of Mueller and he is getting too close. They need to shut this investigation down so we will be seeing some desperate measures. I understand Twitter  has said that the Russian Bots are working overtime on this one.

"The frequency with which the accounts have been promoting the hashtag has spiked by 233,000% over the past 48 hours, according to the site. The accounts’ references to the “memo,” meanwhile, have increased by 68,000%.

The most-shared domain among the accounts has been WikiLeaks, and the most-shared URL has been a link to WikiLeaks’ “submit” page."

http://www.businessinsider.com/release-the-memo-campaign-russia-linked-twitter-accounts-2018-1

You would think we should be concerned when one of our enemies is putting this much effort and money into obstructing an investigation involving our President. But I guess not.
I don't think Mueller is the main focus right now.  All his spies and goons have been cut out from underneath him.  If he had anything credible, he would have gotten an indictment by now.  Now with no spies and goons he doesn't have the resources to get what he need using the deep state underworld.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy