Author Topic: Are We Prepared for the Next Flu Pandemic?  (Read 640 times)

rangerrebew

Are We Prepared for the Next Flu Pandemic?
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:17:34 pm »

Are We Prepared for the Next Flu Pandemic?
Despite some strides, like improved worldwide disease surveillance, experts say we’re vulnerable.

By Michael O. Schroeder, Staff Writer |Jan. 18, 2018, at 10:55 a.m.

As of this week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports there’s widespread seasonal flu activity in every state in the continental U.S. Though calling seasonal flu an epidemic – as it’s currently dubbed – isn’t uncommon, the reach of the current outbreak exceeds what the CDC has seen in more than a dozen years of tracking seasonal flu.

Influenza, a contagious respiratory illness that can cause symptoms like body aches and a scratchy throat, can be mild to severe. For those who are most vulnerable – like older adults and individuals who have a compromised immune system – there’s an even graver concern: Though its familiarity may lead some to ignore the threat, in less common cases, flu can even cause death.

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2018-01-18/are-we-prepared-for-the-next-flu-pandemic

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Are We Prepared for the Next Flu Pandemic?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:19:38 pm »
Anti-viral drugs are miracle workers.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »
If we didn't have infectious diseases how would we reduce the excess population.   Let nature take its course and let the weak and sickly fall to the side.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:38:06 pm »
If we didn't have infectious diseases how would we reduce the excess population.   Let nature take its course and let the weak and sickly fall to the side.

Hear hear. The ride to work this morning was a bitch because of all the old people clogging up the roads. A decent pandemic will easily cut 20 minutes off my commute.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:41:26 pm »
Hear hear. The ride to work this morning was a bitch because of all the old people clogging up the roads. A decent pandemic will easily cut 20 minutes off my commute.

And think of the economic boom it would create.  Hell, the Grave Diggers union alone would stand to pill up millions.  Your secondary markets stand to clean up too. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:06:47 pm »
Euthanasia is more effective.  @Wingnut volunteers first?   :laugh: