Author Topic: North Carolina Congressional Map Ruled Unconstitutionally Gerrymandered [paywall]  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Suppressed

North Carolina Congressional Map Ruled Unconstitutionally Gerrymandered [paywall]
By Alan Blinder and Michael Wines
Jan. 9, 2018
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/us/north-carolina-gerrymander.html

A panel of federal judges struck down North Carolina’s congressional map on Tuesday, condemning it as unconstitutional because Republicans had drawn the map seeking a political advantage.

The ruling was the first time that a federal court had blocked a congressional map because of a partisan gerrymander, and it instantly endangered Republican seats in the coming elections.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Said the state that drew the most gerrymandered House district ever so it would guarantee a black Democrat would get elected.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:28:55 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

Said the state that drew the most gerrymandered House district ever so it would guarantee a black Democrat would get elected.

I thought that was fixed in 2016.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2016/02/delayed-congressional-primaries-redistricting

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
It was fixed but they still designed it that way. It used to be even worse. I once voted in it when I lived east of Greensboro but only in the primary. By the general election, i was back in my old "discrick". 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:20:28 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

It was fixed but they still designed it that way. It used to be even worse. I once voted in it when I lived east of Greensboro but only in the primary. By the general election, i was back in my old "discrick".

The argument was made it wasn't designed to give a democrat a district, it was designed to limit the districts the democrats could get.

I have long thought that forcing districts to use existing postal codes as borders might limit this.

Offline Frank Cannon

Bleh. This will be appealed and be on going for a while.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's 2018.  Are they going to argue this up to the day it's rendered moot?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: