Author Topic: The Dangerous Supreme Court Case Nobody Is Talking About  (Read 333 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The Dangerous Supreme Court Case Nobody Is Talking About
« on: January 17, 2018, 06:35:16 pm »
The Dangerous Supreme Court Case Nobody Is Talking About

NIFLA v. Becerra has huge implications for free speech, religious freedom, and the pro-life cause. Late yesterday afternoon, I filed an amicus brief in one of the most dangerous free-speech cases in a generation. For the second time this term, the Supreme Court is considering whether the government can compel Americans to express or support ideas they find repugnant. The first case, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, was the talk of the nation. This case, National Institute of Family and Life Advocates (NIFLA) v. Becerra, has almost entirely escaped public attention. That’s a mistake. If anything, the violation of the First Amendment in the NIFLA case is more egregious, and the implications potentially more far-reaching. As readers almost certainly recall, the issue in Masterpiece Cakeshop was whether the state of Colorado could compel a Christian baker to design a cake for a gay wedding. One of the state’s principal arguments against the baker’s First Amendment claim was that designing a custom cake wasn’t an expressive act, so forcing him to design a cake wasn’t compelled speech.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455470/nifla-becerra-supreme-court-case-religious-freedom-free-speech
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."