Author Topic: There was No Big Bang, Radical Theory of the Universe States  (Read 828 times)

rangerrebew

There was No Big Bang, Radical Theory of the Universe States
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:40:44 pm »

There was No Big Bang, Radical Theory of the Universe States

December 17, 2017

by Philip Perry

We take it for granted, that the Big Bang created the universe. But did it? Although that’s been the commonly adopted model for the last 50 years, not all scientists back it. In fact, there are other theories for how the universe and everything came into being. (And no, the answer isn’t 42). Could our universe have been born out of an alternate space-time bubble? One Brazilian mathematician thinks so.

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/there-was-no-big-bang-radical-theory-of-the-universe-states

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: There was No Big Bang, Radical Theory of the Universe States
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:43:59 pm »

Doesn't the Bible state it is only about 6,000 years ago ??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 06:07:44 pm »
Only if you assume the process only took six days.

Of course, even by the Bible's own testimony, no man was able to actually witness it, so whoever wrote it down didn't actually know what (s)he was talking about.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:48:59 pm »
Only if you assume the process only took six days.

Of course, even by the Bible's own testimony, no man was able to actually witness it, so whoever wrote it down didn't actually know what (s)he was talking about.

And, that God's years are not man's years.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:54:10 pm »

6,000 years is an interpretation that ASSUMES that "begat" means first line descendant and does not allow for skipping of people in the line.  For example:

Grandfather - A
Father - B
Son - C

A literal begat interpret this structure as: A begat B begat C
But it can also be said that A begat C and leave out B because B was unimportant.
I have read commentary by Jewish Rabbis that point this out as a valid reason why the 6,000 year interpretation may not be valid.  I am not a rabbinical scholar nor do I read Hebrew but it does seem to be a plausible position to take.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:39:32 pm »

6,000 years is an interpretation that ASSUMES that "begat" means first line descendant and does not allow for skipping of people in the line.  For example:

Grandfather - A
Father - B
Son - C

A literal begat interpret this structure as: A begat B begat C
But it can also be said that A begat C and leave out B because B was unimportant.
I have read commentary by Jewish Rabbis that point this out as a valid reason why the 6,000 year interpretation may not be valid.  I am not a rabbinical scholar nor do I read Hebrew but it does seem to be a plausible position to take.

@truth_seeker

The Bible doesn’t anywhere say when “creation” took place or how long ago it happened. But James Ussher, the Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland in the 17th century came up with it, Ussher deduced that the first day of creation of the Earth fell upon, October 23, 4004 BC at 9:00 AM, in the proleptic Julian calendar, near the autumnal equinox. So we should be celebrating New Year’s every October 23rd.

Ushher came up with that date by counting the ages of everyone in the Bible, both old and new testaments, starting with the supposed year of Jesus’s birth and going all the way back to Adam by adding up their life spans along with those of their progeny.

And as @Taxcontrol stated, the chronology skips some generations and goes from A begat C or D or E rather than A begat B.

Of course there are problems with this, many problems. Such as factoring in that the Bible according to the Young Earth Creationists says that some Biblical characters reached a very old age such as Adam who lived for 930 years, Noah lived 950 years and Methuseleh lived 969 years and others living to ages equally not realistically possible such as Abraham's wife Sarah living to age 127 and skipping over some generations entirely because, well, they were not important enough to be in the Bible – must have been slackers.

In any case the geologic and fossil record indicates that the Earth is much, much older than 6,000 years old.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:20:05 pm »
I still like the "baseball theory" of creation, where everything started in the Big Inning...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA