Author Topic: New study: Flake’s DACA dream is Arizona’s crime nightmare  (Read 457 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
No surprise here.  DACA must end and deportations must begin!  I'm hoping that this information is getting into the hands of our politicians and is no longer ignored.

New study: Flake’s DACA dream is Arizona’s crime nightmare

...........A new report published by expert criminologist John Lott lays waste to the long-standing lie peddled by open-borders advocates that crime rates are low among illegal aliens........

Lott studied data from the state of Arizona from 1985 to 2017 to prove conclusively that illegal aliens commit crimes at a disproportionate rate relative to their share of the population. Here is what he found:

Illegal immigrants in Arizona are at least 142 percent more likely to be convicted of crime than other Arizonans. And these are not just immigration and drug violations that we see on the federal level. They are more likely to be convicted of serious violent crimes: at least 163 percent more likely for first-degree murder; 168 percent more likely for second-degree murder; and 189.6 percent more likely for manslaughter. Also, Lott’s data confirms what some of us see anecdotally every day but is ignored by the national media – that illegals in Arizona are more likely to commit sexual offenses against minors, sexual assault, drunk driving, kidnapping, and armed robbery.
    We are often told that “dreamers” are a cut above the rest of the illegal population, and President Trump, who otherwise understands the truth on the broader issue, seems to have accepted this premise. Lott’s research found that although DACA-age illegals compose 0.81 percent of Arizona’s population, they represent 8 percent of the prison population. This means they compose 71.2 percent of the illegal immigrant population in prison and that they are 884 percent more likely to be convicted of crimes than non-immigrants of their age. If anything, “dreamers” are actually a bigger public safety risk than older illegal immigrants.
    While there is no uniform data nationwide, Lott projects that “f undocumented immigrants committed crime nationally as they do in Arizona, in 2016 they would have been responsible for over 1,000 more murders, 5,200 rapes, 8,900 robberies, 25,300 aggravated assaults, and 26,900 burglaries.”
    Illegal immigrant criminals are 45.4 percent more likely to have been gang members, and “they are 133% more likely to receive sentencing enhancements for being classified as dangerous, and they tend to be released from prison at a younger age despite more serious crimes because they initially go to jail at a younger age.” Keep in mind that Obama’s DACA program tried to avoid scrutinizing juvenile records of recipients...........

https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/new-study-flakes-daca-dream-arizonas-crime-nightmare/

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: New study: Flake’s DACA dream is Arizona’s crime nightmare
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:00 pm »
No surprise here.  DACA must end and deportations must begin!  I'm hoping that this information is getting into the hands of our politicians and is no longer ignored.

That's going to depend on your expectations of who will be deported if/when DACA ends.  Some of you may be massively disappointed.

Why did the states wait until now to threaten DACA? Probably because it’s too popular. There’s no way 26 states would have joined the 2014 lawsuit if it had imperiled all the Dreamers. Legally speaking, the number of state plaintiffs was irrelevant—Texas alone would have sufficed. But justices—especially Kennedy—care about optics more than they admit to themselves, so it helped to have a majority of states opposing Obama. Once Trump took office, Paxton presumably assumed DACA would meet a swift end. When it didn’t, he sent his letter—but could persaude only nine other attorneys general to join him.

What happens if Trump pulls the plug? It depends on how hard he pulls it. He could rescind all existing DACA permits, but even the Texas letter asks only that he stop issuing new ones or renewals. Once their permits expire, the estimated 780,000 DACA beneficiaries will—at bestreturn to their pre-2012 status. They won’t be able to work legally; some will work off of the books, some may find employers willing to falsify employment eligibility forms and others will use someone else’s Social Security number. In some states, including Texas, access to a driver’s license also disappears once lawful presence is revoked.

But the Dreamers can remain in the U.S.—if the Trump administration wants them to. The states’ letter—just like their 2014 lawsuittook pains to state that their request “does not require the federal government to remove any alien.” The 2014 lawsuit expressly noted that the states were not challenging DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson’s 2014 memo setting forth priorities for immigration enforcement. That memo listed three categories of priorities—including national security threats, criminals and those recently issued a final order of removal by an immigration judge—and instructed Immigration and Customs Enforcement to pursue removal of others only if an ICE field office director deemed that it would serve “an important federal interest.” In February, then-DHS Secretary John Kelly replaced the Johnson memo with a broader set of priorities and removed the requirement to seek high-level approval before pursuing others. But Kelly’s memo expressly carved out DACA recipients, and thus could easily be revised, if DACA ends, to provide more protections. Indeed, as the states expressly suggested in their 2014 lawsuit, DHS could even provide “low-priority identification cards” if it chooses.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/31/daca-dreamers-donald-trump-215564
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: New study: Flake’s DACA dream is Arizona’s crime nightmare
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:33:26 pm »

That's going to depend on your expectations of who will be deported if/when DACA ends.  Some of you may be massively disappointed.

Why did the states wait until now to threaten DACA? Probably because it’s too popular. There’s no way 26 states would have joined the 2014 lawsuit if it had imperiled all the Dreamers. Legally speaking, the number of state plaintiffs was irrelevant—Texas alone would have sufficed. But justices—especially Kennedy—care about optics more than they admit to themselves, so it helped to have a majority of states opposing Obama. Once Trump took office, Paxton presumably assumed DACA would meet a swift end. When it didn’t, he sent his letter—but could persaude only nine other attorneys general to join him.

What happens if Trump pulls the plug? It depends on how hard he pulls it. He could rescind all existing DACA permits, but even the Texas letter asks only that he stop issuing new ones or renewals. Once their permits expire, the estimated 780,000 DACA beneficiaries will—at bestreturn to their pre-2012 status. They won’t be able to work legally; some will work off of the books, some may find employers willing to falsify employment eligibility forms and others will use someone else’s Social Security number. In some states, including Texas, access to a driver’s license also disappears once lawful presence is revoked.

But the Dreamers can remain in the U.S.—if the Trump administration wants them to. The states’ letter—just like their 2014 lawsuittook pains to state that their request “does not require the federal government to remove any alien.” The 2014 lawsuit expressly noted that the states were not challenging DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson’s 2014 memo setting forth priorities for immigration enforcement. That memo listed three categories of priorities—including national security threats, criminals and those recently issued a final order of removal by an immigration judge—and instructed Immigration and Customs Enforcement to pursue removal of others only if an ICE field office director deemed that it would serve “an important federal interest.” In February, then-DHS Secretary John Kelly replaced the Johnson memo with a broader set of priorities and removed the requirement to seek high-level approval before pursuing others. But Kelly’s memo expressly carved out DACA recipients, and thus could easily be revised, if DACA ends, to provide more protections. Indeed, as the states expressly suggested in their 2014 lawsuit, DHS could even provide “low-priority identification cards” if it chooses.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/31/daca-dreamers-donald-trump-215564

Quite honestly, I don't have high expectations. I expect that Trump and the GOP(e) are going to cave on this issue and I also anticipate more amnesty to come.  Let me just add, that there has been talk about the wall that Trump and the GOP(e) is holding their cards until they get a wall...I for one am not buying into the smoke and mirrors game.  When they actually provide $$ in the budget for a wall and start construction, then I'll believe it.  The Secure Fence Act was passed by both Houses in 2006 and here we sit 12 years later and no wall and the push for major amnesty continues.  DACA is just the beginning.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.