Author Topic: Ryan Squeezed By Conservatives On DACA Vote  (Read 462 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Ryan Squeezed By Conservatives On DACA Vote
« on: January 15, 2018, 01:16:39 pm »
For weeks, House Speaker Paul Ryan has said any deal to shield 700,000 young undocumented people from deportation must be bipartisan.

His GOP conference, however, has another idea entirely.

House Republicans are pressing Ryan for a vote on a partisan immigration bill that has little chance of passing the Senate. They want floor action on legislation by House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), which goes well beyond what the White House has said should be in a deal codifying the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program into law — and which is unlikely to garner a single Democratic vote.

“It’s a good bill…I think it’s something that bears consideration by the entire House,” said Rep. Bill Flores (R-Texas), a former leader of the conservative Republican Study Committee. “If I were the majority leader… I would recommend that we bring it” to the floor.

Ryan and his top lieutenants have not committed to a vote on the Goodlatte bill, which GOP leaders worry could undermine bipartisan negotiations. And they’re not even sure the text could garner the 218 GOP votes needed for passage in the House. Still, he’s risking a backlash from conservatives if he doesn’t put it forward for a vote.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/15/paul-ryan-dreamers-conservatives-daca-340603
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Ryan Squeezed By Conservatives On DACA Vote
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:52 pm »
When is Ryan going to quit and get that nice cushy lobbying gig?

Offline edpc

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:46:49 pm »
But even if House moderates backed the Goodlatte bill, it’s unlikely to get enough support in the Senate, where Republicans have a slim majority and need 60 votes to pass immigration legislation. Some centrists in the House say it’s pointless to take such a controversial vote.

If they were serious about immigration and we had real leadership, the bill would pass the House and the Senate would exercise the nuclear option.  Instead, we'll get the status quo or something worse.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:52:39 pm »
When is Ryan going to quit and get that nice cushy lobbying gig?

He announced he's quitting a couple weeks ago.  I think after this term.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 02:12:28 pm »
He announced he's quitting a couple weeks ago.  I think after this term.

Depends on what current gossip you believe.....

Reports that Ryan was thinking about retiring also reached the White House, where press secretary Sarah Sanders said they prompted President Donald Trump to reach out to the Speaker.

Trump "made sure that the Speaker knew, very clearly and in no uncertain terms, that if that news was true, he was very unhappy with it," Sanders told reporters at the daily press briefing.

In response, she said, Ryan "assured the president that those were not accurate reports, and that they looked forward to working together for a long time to come."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/paul-ryan-plans-to-retire-after-2018-mid-term-elections-report.html

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:13:13 pm by edpc »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:49:24 pm »
Anytime I see a story leading off with "undocumented" I ignore the rest. It is nothing but slanted and biased crap or better a s**thole article. for someone to be undocumented, they first have to be here illegally, a point they intentionally overlook.  If they won't be honest, I won't read it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy