Author Topic: Flu Season is Shaping Up to Be a Nasty One, CDC Says (Flu Map)  (Read 675 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Flu Season is Shaping Up to Be a Nasty One, CDC Says (Flu Map)
« on: January 15, 2018, 01:15:03 pm »
Flu Season is Shaping Up to Be a Nasty One, CDC Says

By Rob Stein
January 13, 2018

The United States appears to be in the midst of an unusually severe flu season, officials at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

The flu season started early, which is never a good sign, and the flu is already widespread throughout the country, the CDC’s latest report shows. Half of states are reporting especially intense flu activity.

“We are currently in the midst of a very active flu season with much of the nation experiencing widespread and intense activity,” CDC Director Brenda Fitzgerald told reporters during a briefing.

Activity levels are based on the percent of outpatient visits in a state due to influenza-like illness (ILI) and are compared with the average percent of ILI visits that occur during weeks with little or no influenza virus circulation. (CDC)

Read more at: https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2018/01/13/flu-season-is-shaping-up-to-be-a-nasty-one-cdc-says/

Offline thackney

Re: Flu Season is Shaping Up to Be a Nasty One, CDC Says (Flu Map)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:20:57 pm »
I got the flu, "B" strain.

Doctor told me Thursday that was the  bad type.  Online research says "A" Strain worse.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:46:20 pm »
I got the flu, "B" strain.

Doctor told me Thursday that was the  bad type.  Online research says "A" Strain worse.

Oh, no.  Did you get there in time for the tamiflu? 

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:11:56 pm »
Oh, no.  Did you get there in time for the tamiflu?

I got Oseltamivir, Generic Tamiflu.  Second day of symptoms I went to the doc.  Cough was deep in my chest and non-stop.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:36:38 pm »
I got Oseltamivir, Generic Tamiflu.  Second day of symptoms I went to the doc.  Cough was deep in my chest and non-stop.

Hope you feel better quickly.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 03:56:57 pm »
BOISE -- The flu is nasty this year. It's early in the season and already 23 flu-related deaths have been reported in Idaho.

In an average flu season, public health officials say that's the total number of deaths.

It's so bad that a school district in north Idaho had to shut its doors. Kellogg School District announced Wednesday night that they're closing schools and buildings and suspending activities for the rest of the week because of a flu outbreak. They want staff and students to stay home, rest and get treated while the district deep-cleans buildings.   

http://www.ktvb.com/news/health/flu-related-deaths-continue-to-climb-in-idaho/507038106

Idaho, population 1.6 million in 2016 and one of the fastest growing states but the above really says how bad this epidemic is.

I've never seen so many flu masks as this year.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »
@thackney

Prayers up that you will be well soon. 

A friend of mine has it -- don't know the strain, but he was in the hospital for 10 days.  He's home now, but still sick after 3 weeks.