Author Topic: Suspect In Deadly Kansas SWATting Charged With Manslaughter  (Read 714 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Suspect In Deadly Kansas SWATting Charged With Manslaughter
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:36 am »
By Patterico
https://www.redstate.com/patterico/2018/01/12/suspect-deadly-kansas-swatting-charged-manslaughter/

Tyler Barriss, the suspected serial SWATter who was arrested after a hoax phone call to police led to the death of Andrew Finch in Wichita, Kansas, has now been charged with manslaughter . . .

. . . I think he should have been charged with murder. But this is better than the lousy “making a false alarm” charge that he was extradited for. I hope they didn’t screw it up by not charging the manslaughter before the extradition . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DB

Re: Suspect In Deadly Kansas SWATting Charged With Manslaughter
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:48:12 am »
The police officer who killed the innocent man should be charged too. The police failed to determine what the situation was at all before taking deadly action. They failed to notice that the description of the house did not match what the caller claimed. The police were never under any threat yet they killed a man. The police need to live by the same laws we do with the same consequences. Otherwise we're just second class citizens with overlords who rule us.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:09:25 am »
The police officer who killed the innocent man should be charged too. The police failed to determine what the situation was at all before taking deadly action. They failed to notice that the description of the house did not match what the caller claimed. The police were never under any threat yet they killed a man. The police need to live by the same laws we do with the same consequences. Otherwise we're just second class citizens with overlords who rule us.
I agree.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:13 pm »
Bump so this is seen.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:54:07 pm »
I agree.

Double ditto. 

But he will walk.  No accountability.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:22 pm »

Are you saying if a police officer follows his orders and his training, he should be charged with a crime if it goes wrong?

If the station chief puts an officer on such a scene, and his training is to fire, should the suspect moves his hands, or fails to follow orders I do not hold the officer responsible for following orders.

It is the training which needs to be evaluated and possibly changed.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline anubias

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:59 pm »
Glad to see this.  I had read that the worst this guy would get was a slap on the wrist for a false 911 call.  I’m usually not one for making examples, but this “swatting” needs to be nipped in the bud.

As for the cop, I’ve seen so much conflicting info out there that I don’t hold out any hope of him being convicted.  They did a great job of convolutions the time table of what exactly happened.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 08:15:36 pm »
Looks like the Wichita PD almost did it again, injured a child and a dog.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article194338784.html

On the evening of Dec. 30, Danielle Maples was making nail polishes with her children. The atmosphere in her home changed when her husband threatened to hurt himself. Maples called 911 to get help.

Then after police arrived – as she and her husband stood outside their home unarmed – she heard two gunshots from inside.

A Wichita police officer fired at her dog – in a small living room occupied by her four children, ages 6 to 10.

When the officer shot at the family dog in the same room where her four children were gathered, a bullet fragmented and ricocheted off the concrete floor beneath the carpet where her 9-year-old daughter sat. The girl suffered wounds above her eye. At the hospital, Maples saw a bag with three fragments taken from her daughter’s forehead.

An officer later told the family that “it could have been worse,” she said.

“As a mother, you don’t want to hear that.”

The article futher explains the husband (unarmed) was on one side of the house (outside) calmly talking to one officer while the wife was on the other (outside) talking to another cop. Meanwhile at 3rd cop goes inside the house and the dog, being a dog runs up toward him and he attempt to shoot it, but the shots (multiple) hit the concrete under the carpeting fragmenting and wounding both the dog and the little girl.

**nononono*
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »

Are you saying if a police officer follows his orders and his training, he should be charged with a crime if it goes wrong?

If the station chief puts an officer on such a scene, and his training is to fire, should the suspect moves his hands, or fails to follow orders I do not hold the officer responsible for following orders.

It is the training which needs to be evaluated and possibly changed.

Yes. There is a higher standard. Just like the military requires. Following orders is not an excuse. And if the officer was "just following orders" the person giving the orders should be charged too. If the officer doesn't know better he has no business being an officer.

Offline anubias

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:59 pm »
Looks like the Wichita PD almost did it again, injured a child and a dog.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article194338784.html

The article futher explains the husband (unarmed) was on one side of the house (outside) calmly talking to one officer while the wife was on the other (outside) talking to another cop. Meanwhile at 3rd cop goes inside the house and the dog, being a dog runs up toward him and he attempt to shoot it, but the shots (multiple) hit the concrete under the carpeting fragmenting and wounding both the dog and the little girl.

**nononono*

My God.  Words escape me.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 08:42:02 pm »
Yes. There is a higher standard. Just like the military requires. Following orders is not an excuse. And if the officer was "just following orders" the person giving the orders should be charged too. If the officer doesn't know better he has no business being an officer.
@DB

@truth_seeker is right about there being a serious need to adjust that department's training. That said, you're absolutely right about the military comparison---if this had happened with a military police unit, yes, the training might be adjusted appropriately but the personnel involved in the screwup would still have been disciplined heavily for it, some perhaps even removed from those jobs, depending. So would police officers in other police departments around the country.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:57:18 pm »

I missed the part in my military training which stated  after hearing an order, I should convene a jury in my mind, to try to decide if I should follow it or not.

I stated the training needs to change, IF you expect officers to wait longer, further exposed to danger, and I stand by that.

I have followed a couple of cases in my town, and others in nearby towns. Usually the officers are found to have done their jobs as best might be expected and in accordance with their training.

Here is one available via google. Dillan Tabares.  Shot by a cop, AFTER retreating, using his taser. Then BIG outcry over police conduct. Crooked media released ONLY the end of a video, showing the shooting, but omitted the earlier part.

After the shooting occurred, local law enforcement determined by DNA that the deceased Tabares, had brutally murdered an elderly man he had known.

BTW I have known the entire Tabares family for years. I don't know if his marijuana smoking made him mentally ill. But he was discharged from the Navy for the drug. He had many,, many contacts with police. He served prison time for violent crime. He was released early, and commited a violent murder.

Blue lives matter.  On a widely viewed Facebook page, a minority criticized the police UNTIL they learned the guy had just murdered a man days before.

http://ktla.com/2017/10/31/man-fatally-shot-by-huntington-beach-police-is-named-suspect-in-deadly-beating-of-his-80-year-old-friend/

https://www.inquisitr.com/4518049/navy-vet-dillan-tabares-killed-mentally-ill-video-huntington-beach/

http://thedailyhaze.com/dillan-tabares-killed-huntington-beach/

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-hb-homicide-20171031-story.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:21:12 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln