Author Topic: Harvey Awakens a Divided America’s Better Angels  (Read 373 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Harvey Awakens a Divided America’s Better Angels
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:35:54 am »
The aftermath of the storm showed that even in a moment of extreme partisan rancor and polarization, Americans are a fundamentally decent people.

Even hurricanes have a silver lining: The downpour washes away a lot of bull. Don’t get me wrong. This is a tragedy for untold thousands of people.

And no upside could possibly balance the scale against the downside. The full human toll of Harvey, now a tropical storm, remains to be determined, but it’s already steep. As of this writing, the official count of fatalities was up to 14, and that number will probably rise. The economic cost will take a long time to calculate. And the emotional price — lost homes, heirlooms, pictures, worry, stress — can never be calculated. And yet, I couldn’t help but notice that there is a “feel good” aspect to the whole catastrophe. The best example is the hyper-viral story of two men loading up their boat and driving into the storm. CNN’s Ed Lavandera found them under a highway overpass readying the vessel.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450965/hurricane-harvey-aftermath-reveals-americans-fundamental-deceny-despite-partisan-division?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NR%20Daily%20Monday%20through%20Friday%202017-08-30&utm_term=NR5PM%20Actives

Great article.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Harvey Awakens a Divided America’s Better Angels
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:27:32 pm »
I have a young friend in Houston who got another friend of his to buy a boat together so they could go out and rescue people.'
He told me it was one of the most gratifying days he has ever lived.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington