Author Topic: Puerto Ricans Displaced by Hurricane María Encounter Intolerable Conditions in NYC Shelters  (Read 413 times)

rangerrebew

Puerto Ricans Displaced by Hurricane María Encounter Intolerable Conditions in NYC Shelters

By Joel Cintrón Arbasetti and Center for Investigative Journalism
Published at 12:56 PM EST on Jan 10, 2018 | Updated at 2:10 PM EST on Jan 10, 2018

On the morning of Dec. 8, Nellyan Velázquez and her 3-year-old daughter left Puerto Rico for New York, unaware of what their fate would be. After a long wait at the Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing (PATH) building in the Bronx that lasted past midnight, a school bus arrived and took them to Brooklyn.

Once in Brooklyn, they spent the night in a building without an elevator. Their room was “super disgusting.” The mattresses had no sheets. Velázquez did not even remember the address. They arrived at 2 a.m., asleep. By 6 a.m., with the temperature at 40 degrees, they were outside of the building again with their suitcases—waiting for the bus to return to the Bronx office to see if they would get a temporary shelter.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Puerto-Ricans-Displaced-by-Hurricane-Maria-Encounter-Intolerable-Conditions-in-NYC-Shelters-468635103.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:21:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Well, they could always return home ... to Puerto Rico!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Whoever decided Brooklyn was a good place to settle hurricane refugees has crap for brains.  Yes, there is a sizable number of PRs there, but there are also a lot of Fred Sanfords too, and it's an expensive place to live, even with a decent paying job.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Whoever decided Brooklyn was a good place to settle hurricane refugees has crap for brains.  Yes, there is a sizable number of PRs there, but there are also a lot of Fred Sanfords too, and it's an expensive place to live, even with a decent paying job.

Life is just a bowl of warm menudo.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

Well, they could always return home ... to Puerto Rico!

Why would they want to return to a shithole?