Author Topic: Congress barrels toward another shutdown crisis  (Read 737 times)

Offline corbe

Congress barrels toward another shutdown crisis
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:44 pm »
Congress barrels toward another shutdown crisis

By Jordain Carney - 01/10/18 06:01 PM EST

Lawmakers are scrambling to avoid a government shutdown as they barrel toward another funding deadline without a clear path forward.

GOP leadership is remaining tightlipped about their plan, with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) declining to outline their next steps before a Jan. 19 deadline.

They are expected to offer a short-term stopgap measure given the fast-approaching deadline and a failure to lockdown a deal on raising spending ceilings for defense and nondefense.

“I think if we are able to reach an agreement, it will still take a little bit of time to prepare the omnibus,” McConnell told reporters this week during a leadership press conference, in a sign that a stopgap could be coming.

“But I'm not ready to make an announcement yet about the way forward,” he said.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/368407-congress-barrels-toward-another-shutdown-crisis
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Congress barrels toward another shutdown crisis
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:18 am »
Shut it down. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:09 am »

GOP leadership is remaining tightlipped about their plan, with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) declining to outline their next steps before a Jan. 19 deadline.

No problem.  Even if they come to us with things we're not in love with, we're going to do it, because we respect them.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:20:38 am »
Shut it down.

And leave it down until they come around .
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fantom

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:48:43 am »

One of the main problems is that R's only have 51 Senate votes.. with the chance at a huge pickup in 2018. So they will pass Cr after CR.. with the meek decision not to upturn the Cart. Maybe a playsafe call.

On the other hand, the regressive left/democrats really cannot shut down government over illegal aliens.

So there we are. Politicians are, at heart, chicken shits. 
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 01:43:06 am »

No problem.  Even if they come to us with things we're not in love with, we're going to do it, because we respect them.
Sounds like McTuttle and Ryan are ready to take another fall for the GOP.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 03:11:01 am »
Title:
"Congress barrels toward another shutdown crisis"

Why should I be worried about this?
Won't a "shut down" government save unnecessary expenses?
Really (and I ask this seriously)... why should I give a damn?

Shut it down for a while.
Fine with me.