Author Topic: North American waterways are becoming saltier and more alkaline  (Read 509 times)

rangerrebew

North American waterways are becoming saltier and more alkaline
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:22:41 pm »
North American waterways are becoming saltier and more alkaline
January 8, 2018, University of Maryland

Across North America, streams and rivers are becoming saltier, thanks to road deicers, fertilizers and other salty compounds that humans indirectly release into waterways. At the same time, freshwater supplies are becoming more alkaline.

Salty, alkaline freshwater can create big problems for drinking water supplies, urban infrastructure and natural ecosystems. For example, when Flint, Michigan, switched its primary water source to the Flint River in 2014, the river's high salt load combined with chemical treatments to make the water more corrosive, causing lead to leach from water pipes and creating that city's well-documented water crisis.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-north-american-waterways-saltier-alkaline.html#jCp

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: North American waterways are becoming saltier and more alkaline
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:41:41 am »
Although I normally find myself quick to slough off enviro-greenie hookah, the problem of rivers and groundwater becoming increasingly saltier IS something that could be looked into.

Don't know about where you are, but in recent years (decades), seems like the town and highway departments are pouring more salt than ever over the roads in winter.

Once it washes off the roads, it's going somewhere...

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: North American waterways are becoming saltier and more alkaline
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:28 pm »
Although I normally find myself quick to slough off enviro-greenie hookah, the problem of rivers and groundwater becoming increasingly saltier IS something that could be looked into.

Don't know about where you are, but in recent years (decades), seems like the town and highway departments are pouring more salt than ever over the roads in winter.

Once it washes off the roads, it's going somewhere...

You can blame the 1979 Chicago Blizzard for this one. Jane Byrne used the blizzard as a hammer to beat the incumbent mayor in the primary in 1980 and ever since then politicians in Illinois and surrounding states have over-salted the roads. They even have crews out salting the roads when there is only a dusting of snow.