Author Topic: ‘We Can Build The Wall in One Year:’ Trump Tells DHS Never to ‘Mention 7 Years Again’ for Border Wal  (Read 779 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

‘We Can Build The Wall in One Year:’ Trump Tells DHS Never to ‘Mention 7 Years Again’ for Border Wall Timeframe
Breitbart, Jan 9, 2018, John Binder

“I can build it for less,” Trump said in regard to the recent DHS report which stated that it would cost them $18 billion to build the border wall.  “I must tell you, I’m looking at these prices and somebody said $42 billion,” Trump said. “This is like the aircraft carrier. It started off at a billion and a half and its now at $18 billion. No, we can do it for less.”

The DHS report, released by Nielsen, also noted that it would take 7 to 10 years for the border wall along the southern border to be constructed and finished, an estimate that Trump said he never wanted to hear mentioned again.

“We can do a great job. We can do a great wall, but you need the wall and I’m now getting involved. I like to build under budget, okay. I like to go under budget, ahead of schedule.”

More: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/01/09/can-build-wall-one-year-trump-tells-dhs-never-mention-7-years-border-wall-timeframe/

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The "wall" can't be built in a year.   If it can, it's not the 2,000-mile long physical wall some Trump supporters have been visualizing. 

There may be a case for some additional fencing in certain areas,  and a significant increase in the Border Patrol.  And, of course, the implementation of the old mantra to "enforce the laws on the books".   But a wall?   Big waste of money. 

But there ARE some laws that should be changed.   Switch from chain immigration to skills-based immigration.   No more diversity lottery.   Guest worker programs for semi-skilled workers.  Mandatory E-verify.  And changes to help prevent folks here on visas for overstaying their visits.     

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

Thanks for sharing @Jazzhead  :smokin:

Ok ... what RIV said.   :silly:

We need a wall to keep people out and from returning.  Secondly, we need at least a 5 year moratorium on ALL immigration into this country until we find out who is here and in doing so, deport those ILLEGALLY here.

Until Congress approves the budget to build a wall, I'll take what Trump is saying with a grain of salt.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Ok ... what RIV said.   

Well, my post may not have been clear @libertybele   "Thanks for sharing" was sincere.  Proclaim Donald Trump can't do something and it will be done ---- while the prognosticator holds his beer.   ^-^

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It is possible that Trump is being sly.   By loudly insisting on a wall,  he may ultimately be able to get the Dems to agree to meaningful immigration law changes short of a wall.   By denying Trump "the wall",  Dems can claim victory, while conceding on changes that will have a much more effective impact on addressing illegal immigration than an expensive and unnecessary physical wall.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Oceander

It is possible that Trump is being sly.   By loudly insisting on a wall,  he may ultimately be able to get the Dems to agree to meaningful immigration law changes short of a wall.   By denying Trump "the wall",  Dems can claim victory, while conceding on changes that will have a much more effective impact on addressing illegal immigration than an expensive and unnecessary physical wall.   

One can only hope. 

Offline aligncare

I’m not thinking of opposing the president on this wall which most Americans seem to want. But for aesthetic reasons I’m not really a fan of plopping down a huge wall in the middle of natural beauty.

And, don’t care how much electricity they give, I don’t like those massive ugly wind farms either.

Offline Night Hides Not

I’m not thinking of opposing the president on this wall which most Americans seem to want. But for aesthetic reasons I’m not really a fan of plopping down a huge wall in the middle of natural beauty.

And, don’t care how much electricity they give, I don’t like those massive ugly wind farms either.

Natural beauty? The border is mostly desert and scrub brush. I lived in El Paso for 15 years.

I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Concerned

Do most Americans really want the wall?  Indications that I've seen are that a majority oppose the wall and has grown over time:

TREND: Do you support or oppose building a wall along the border with Mexico?

Sup     Opp     DK/NA

May 11, 2017       33      64       3
Apr 20, 2017        33      64       3
Apr 05, 2017        33      64       3
Feb 23, 2017        37      60       3
Feb 08, 2017        38      59       3
Nov 23, 2016        42      55       3

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2457
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline cato potatoe

When Trump ran on the "wall" he was referring to a physical barrier.  No amount of pretending will change that.  I do not see how he could recover from such a betrayal of his supporters.

A barrier is but one part of the needed reforms, but it is the most important.  Millions of third world illegal aliens have entered that way.  I do NOT believe the statistics about reduced human trafficking at the southern border.  There is no way to count entrants unless they volunteer themselves.  They could be anywhere in the lower 48 within a couple of days.  Furthermore, the faucet will turn WIDE OPEN if/when conditions change in Latin America.

Offline libertybele

Well, my post may not have been clear @libertybele   "Thanks for sharing" was sincere.  Proclaim Donald Trump can't do something and it will be done ---- while the prognosticator holds his beer.   ^-^

:beer:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Huge wall in the middle of natural beauty?  Have you been along the U.S./Mexican border?  In some areas, a wall would be a vast improvement.

Offline aligncare

Huge wall in the middle of natural beauty?  Have you been along the U.S./Mexican border?  In some areas, a wall would be a vast improvement.

I love desert vistas. To each his own.

Offline libertybele

I love desert vistas. To each his own.

Desert is one thing, trash, hazardous waste and human waste is quite another.