Author Topic: Between Walmart and Kroger, 500 stores are about to ditch cashiers  (Read 4813 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Between Walmart and Kroger, 500 stores are about to ditch cashiers
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 04:53:53 pm »
I always use the self-scan area at Home Depot (and Lowe’s) whenever I can.  If other people don’t want to use it, that’s fine with me.

As long as there is choice.  Take away my choice to ignore that failed social experiment to get sheeple to self-check-out...  I'm cool.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 04:54:15 pm »
Every Walmart I visited over the holidays had 9 closed registers, and 1 open register with a line of about 20 people.

Incredibly frustrating. Is Walmart like that for everyone else?

The only store in my area (which includes Walmart, Kroger, Target, Foodtown) that always seems to have enough people at  the registers, is HEB.
The rest never seem to.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:57:07 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 05:08:25 pm »
I never had a problem using the self-checkouts at Walmart (the only place I've been around here that has them).

For a large store, they're not bad—but they're not a good fit for smaller stores. Because there pretty much has to be an attendant on duty to prevent theft, it doesn't save any money.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2018, 05:39:17 pm »
Ok that's funny right there...lol.  You live in an upscale area and you shop at wallyworld.....uh huh....    :silly:
There is a Walmart Neighborhood Market walking distance from a Hyatt Resort Hotel which charges $400 per night. A few hundred yards from the Pacific Ocean, too.

Since both are quite new, I am certain Walmart intended to get convenience store business from the hotels visitors, many of whom have no transport of their own.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Idiot

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2018, 06:52:32 pm »
There is a Walmart Neighborhood Market walking distance from a Hyatt Resort Hotel which charges $400 per night. A few hundred yards from the Pacific Ocean, too.

Since both are quite new, I am certain Walmart intended to get convenience store business from the hotels visitors, many of whom have no transport of their own.
Oh I know...just ragging @Wingnut:laugh:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2018, 06:54:21 pm »
Oh I know...just ragging @Wingnut:laugh:

No offense taken ....I figured it was That time of the month for you Tater!   888high58888
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:54:56 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 02:06:37 am »
So you are a dirty filthy hippie.

Yep. I was even vegan for almost a year, starting July 2015.  :tongue2:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:51 am »
Yep. I was even vegan for almost a year, starting July 2015.  :tongue2:

Was it bacon that knocked you off the wagon?  I heard that's the meat most described thus.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 02:59:13 am »
Was it bacon that knocked you off the wagon?  I heard that's the meat most described thus.

Nope, it was seafood. I’m pescatarian now. I eat a vegetarian diet with seafood. Two years ago, at the ripe old age of 36, I was diagnosed with cancer. My family decided to take a slight turn with our food. We were “clean” eaters already, but I needed something to control while my life was spinning out of control. The one thing I could control was food, so instead of doing something destructive I did something super healthy. I miss how healthy I felt during that year, but I don’t miss the stress of actually being a vegan, especially since I didn’t eat soy. Anyhow, my latest MRI and lung X-rays were clear and I’m looking forward to that news again in May!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 03:00:25 am »
Nope, it was seafood. I’m pescatarian now. I eat a vegetarian diet with seafood. Two years ago, at the ripe old age of 36, I was diagnosed with cancer. My family decided to take a slight turn with our food. We were “clean” eaters already, but I needed something to control while my life was spinning out of control. The one thing I could control was food, so instead of doing something destructive I did something super healthy. I miss how healthy I felt during that year, but I don’t miss the stress of actually being a vegan, especially since I didn’t eat soy. Anyhow, my latest MRI and lung X-rays were clear and I’m looking forward to that news again in May!

Congratulations on the clear MRI and x-rays!!!!

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:05 am »
Congratulations on the clear MRI and x-rays!!!!

888high58888
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 04:21:38 am »
I find it amusing that they have 2 employees watching over the self checkout at Walmart.  They could almost check them out faster themselves.

At Home Depot they also have a self checkout with one employee working it.  I hardly ever see anyone using it.  What a waste.....

There are 4 at Lowe's here, and at least one is always busy, it seems.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 04:24:25 am »
Anyhow, my latest MRI and lung X-rays were clear and I’m looking forward to that news again in May!

Great news! Best wishes on it always being that way!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn