Author Topic: President Trump and Republicans at Camp David: Speeches and Press Conference  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Concerned

A man I respect a lot (for his common sense intellect and record of being correct) said recently, that the highest form of intelligence was NOT who could command many facts, but who could determine what was most important.

I don't believe term limits are the most important topic, and I don't fantasize about unrealistic possibilities.

I do believe national security is one of the most important issues, which includes immigrant entries, walls/barriers, the military, the economy.

We already have term limits, when the voters decide to oust somebody....as they do some times.

Fortunately, we're all still allowed to prioritize what's important to each of us and there's no requirement that what's most important to you has to be what's most important to me (and vice-a-versa).  For me, my top 5 priorities/issues are (in no particular order):  tackling the debt, term limits, national security, truly reforming healthcare (including tort reform), and shrinking the size of government. I'm sure your priorities are different (as are most others probably).  That's the great thing about this country, we're all able to have our own priorities about what's important to us at a national level.

Similarly, you're allowed your fantasizes just as I'm allowed mine.  Other than term limits, I think I'll keep the rest of my fantasies to myself though.   :pondering:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The broken term limit promise really exemplifies my frustration with President Trump.   This was literally #1 on his 100 Day Plan.  It read: “FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress”.  This was 100% within his control.  He didn’t need anyone’s help or approval.  He could have proposed the amendment and then used the bully pulpit of his office to generate additional grass roots and state support for this amendment.  75% of Americans have supported term limits in the past.  I don’t think we’ll ever effectively “drain the swamp” (another promise) without term limits.

We know that Congress won’t likely impose term limits on themselves, but I fantasize about an alternative universe where, instead of using twitter for petty squabbles and childish nicknames, the President uses it to promote the term limit Constitutional Amendment he proposed within his first 100 days.  Every time Congress fails to act (e.g., repeal and replace, DACA, whatever), he hammers home the need for term limits.  Over time, I really think that it might just generate the kind of positive momentum necessary for two-thirds of the states to call for a convention to sponsor the amendment (I know it's never been used before, but there's always a first time) and then ultimately three quarters of them to approve it.  Sadly, that alternative universe is simply in my head and not in the real world.

At least we know that Trump is against term limits.  He's been in office a year.  A hectic year in which he was on a learning curve and I think he's used the curve very well.  He's gotten some important things done.

I think focusing on term limits, which you admit is a long shot, would have been a poor use of his first year.  If he can manage to get some more support in Congress which will result in more support in the country, I think he will come back to it.

I would like to dwell in an alternate universe where everything went my way, and not just after while, as soon as I finish this beer. 

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I thought if 2/3 of the states called for a national convention and if 2/3 of the delegates to that national convention voted for the amendment, it would then go to the states to see if 3/4 of them would approve it.  Is that not correct?  (I know it's never been done before, but that's certainly the way I read the alternative-to-Congress amendment proposal process.  From Wiki:

"State legislatures have however, at various times, used their power to apply for a national convention in order to pressure Congress into proposing a desired amendment. For example, the movement to amend the Constitution to provide for the direct election of senators began to see such proposals regularly pass the House of Representatives only to die in the Senate from the early 1890s onward. As time went by, more and more state legislatures adopted resolutions demanding that a convention be called, thus pressuring the Senate to finally relent and approve what later became the Seventeenth Amendment for fear that such a convention—if permitted to assemble—might stray to include issues above and beyond just the direct election of senators."

I didn't think all amendment had to first come from the US Congress.  I thought that was the entire point of the 2/3 vote of the National Constitutional Congress?

It is not impossible, but given that politicians use local and state offices as a career ladder for national positions, it’s highly unlikely it would occur.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

At least we know that Trump is against term limits.  He's been in office a year.  A hectic year in which he was on a learning curve and I think he's used the curve very well.  He's gotten some important things done.

I think focusing on term limits, which you admit is a long shot, would have been a poor use of his first year.  If he can manage to get some more support in Congress which will result in more support in the country, I think he will come back to it.

I would like to dwell in an alternate universe where everything went my way, and not just after while, as soon as I finish this beer.

If it would have been a poor use of his first year, I suggest it would have been a poor use when he promised it at the end of October 2016.  This was just one promise that I was really excited about yet he completely abandoned it.  He abandoned it even though the achievement of the promise itself was 100% within his control.  That's still just disappointing to me that's all.  I'll be over it by the end of his term.....................hopefully.   :laugh:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

A man I respect a lot (for his common sense intellect and record of being correct) said recently, that the highest form of intelligence was NOT who could command many facts, but who could determine what was most important.

I don't believe term limits are the most important topic, and I don't fantasize about unrealistic possibilities.

I do believe national security is one of the most important issues, which includes immigrant entries, walls/barriers, the military, the economy.

We already have term limits, when the voters decide to oust somebody....as they do some times.

Excellent post @truth_seeker     888high58888

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
If it would have been a poor use of his first year, I suggest it would have been a poor use when he promised it at the end of October 2016.  This was just one promise that I was really excited about yet he completely abandoned it.  He abandoned it even though the achievement of the promise itself was 100% within his control.  That's still just disappointing to me that's all.  I'll be over it by the end of his term.....................hopefully.   :laugh:

See.  Let me 'splain sumpin' to you, that's why some of us call you NTers.

Everybody has their pet project.  Most of you laughed when Trump proposed certain things:  i.e. The Wall; term limits; no DACA; no admittance from Muslim countries; no illegal immigration,

but NOW, now that Trump has been elected, you hark back to those things you called an impossible dream and blame him for not getting it done his first year.

You have Term Limits.

Chosen Daughter has illegal immigration.

Lots of people have The Wall.

You thought he was inept from the get and now that he's proved he's not, you're grabbing onto your pet thing like the last donut.

Offline edpc

Everybody has their pet project.  Most of you laughed when Trump proposed certain things:  i.e. The Wall; term limits; no DACA; no admittance from Muslim countries; no illegal immigration

We still have all of these things.  What’s your point?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

We still have all of these things.  What’s your point?

My point is that everybody wants their pet project passed NOW.  Trump is trying on all of those things.  To indict him because none of those has passed when you know perfectly well that he is working with a complacent Senate that won't help, is just wrong.

Offline Concerned

See.  Let me 'splain sumpin' to you, that's why some of us call you NTers.

Everybody has their pet project.  Most of you laughed when Trump proposed certain things:  i.e. The Wall; term limits; no DACA; no admittance from Muslim countries; no illegal immigration,

but NOW, now that Trump has been elected, you hark back to those things you called an impossible dream and blame him for not getting it done his first year.

You have Term Limits.

Chosen Daughter has illegal immigration.

Lots of people have The Wall.

You thought he was inept from the get and now that he's proved he's not, you're grabbing onto your pet thing like the last donut.

I've never said his promise on term limits was impossible.  Impossible?  It was 100% within his control!!  He promised to PROPOSE a Constitutional Amendment on term limits.  Actually, at the time, I thought that promise was brilliant:  something he could do all by himself and then proclaim success. This should have been completely the first week if not the first day!

I didn't set the time line of the first year.  He did in his 100 Day Plan.  I'm not to blame because he abandoned the very first thing on his 100 Day Plan.  Of all the promises I thought were silly, I thought this one was a slam dunk: easy-peasy.  Write the proposal, issue it the press, done, check, complete.  Instead, the "winner" failed and failed miserably on something 100% within his control and the very first item of HIS 100 Day Plan. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I've never said his promise on term limits was impossible.  Impossible?  It was 100% within his control!!  He promised to PROPOSE a Constitutional Amendment on term limits.  Actually, at the time, I thought that promise was brilliant:  something he could do all by himself and then proclaim success. This should have been completely the first week if not the first day!

I didn't set the time line of the first year.  He did in his 100 Day Plan.  I'm not to blame because he abandoned the very first thing on his 100 Day Plan.  Of all the promises I thought were silly, I thought this one was a slam dunk: easy-peasy.  Write the proposal, issue it the press, done, check, complete.  Instead, the "winner" failed and failed miserably on something 100% within his control and the very first item of HIS 100 Day Plan.

I find that I'm unable to respond to this post without using personal insults.

So have a nice day.

Offline Concerned

I find that I'm unable to respond to this post without using personal insults.

So have a nice day.

You, too!   :beer:

Offline aligncare

Successful presidents like Reagan upon entering office took two or three big issues and pushed those agenda items for all they were worth. At most they had a very small window of good will open to them to accomplish these things. With Reagan it was defeating communism and tax cuts.

Because political opposition will try its best to derail your efforts, there is no time for lower priority items. It’s about getting the big things done.

In the swamp, commitment, focus and hard work is crucial to achieving success on just a scant few important issues.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Successful presidents like Reagan upon entering office took two or three big issues and pushed those agenda items for all they were worth. At most they had a very small window of good will open to them to accomplish these things. With Reagan it was defeating communism and tax cuts.

Because political opposition will try its best to derail your efforts, there is no time for lower priority items. It’s about getting the big things done.

In the swamp, commitment, focus and hard work is crucial to achieving success on just a scant few important issues.

Did anyone else hear President Trump clearly say, "...rural America....." when speaking about his immediate plans to fix the infastructure?

My guess he's going to rush to swing states to keep them in the fold...as well as reward "fly-over" country.

...give them something to think about around November mid-terms.   (he said he'd do in under budget and on time)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline corbe

I was WRONG and pleasantly surprised when he refused to bail out the NY subway system a while back and a couple of days ago told the NY/NJ rail dreams to take a hike.  I disagree on one small point in your informative post @DCPatriot~Noone is capable of dumping a $1T into infrastructure without Unions (Dems) getting a large cut, waste and fraud will be everywhere just as it was when obummer did it. 
   IMHO, these things are beyond his control regardless of his business acumen. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline aligncare

I was WRONG and pleasantly surprised when he refused to bail out the NY subway system a while back and a couple of days ago told the NY/NJ rail dreams to take a hike.  I disagree on one small point in your informative post @DCPatriot~Noone is capable of dumping a $1T into infrastructure without Unions (Dems) getting a large cut, waste and fraud will be everywhere just as it was when obummer did it. 
   IMHO, these things are beyond his control regardless of his business acumen.

You realize you’re talking about President Trump—the builder. This is specifically in his wheelhouse.

When he does a project he knows exactly how much it cost him to build, yet when the government does that same project that it cost taxpayers 10x as much, or more.

I heard him criticize the bloated costs of the new VA hospital in Colorado and how much less it could have cost if it were a private build.

Building is what he built his success on. I’m confident he’s gonna do his best to control infrastructure costs.

Offline corbe

I sure hope so @aligncare as you say it is in his wheelhouse.   The only thing worse than spending a $1T we don't have is wasting a $1T we don't have.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Did anyone else hear President Trump clearly say, "...rural America....." when speaking about his immediate plans to fix the infastructure?

My guess he's going to rush to swing states to keep them in the fold...as well as reward "fly-over" country.

...give them something to think about around November mid-terms.   (he said he'd do in under budget and on time)

I think so too, which is why he didn't waste one minute on California in 2017.   They are hardly "swing."  He still understands it's the Electoral College that votes.

Small, semi-worthwhile analogy:  The center of gravity of a high-jumper never quite reaches the bar, yet he clears it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

Small, semi-worthwhile analogy:  The center of gravity of a high-jumper never quite reaches the bar, yet he clears it.

Except thatTrump would do this, swear it was a world record, and call Sports Illustrated fake news.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Except thatTrump would do this, swear it was a world record, and call Sports Illustrated fake news.

That's why I said it was a "semi-worthwhile analogy."   :silly:

As an aside, I always wondered how that fellow on the ski jump felt when, every week on The Wide World of Sports, they showed his "Agony of Defeat."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

As an aside, I always wondered how that fellow on the ski jump felt when, every week on The Wide World of Sports, they showed his "Agony of Defeat."

He had no idea....probably from living behind the iron curtain.

The melodrama of the narration—which became a catchphrase in the US—transformed the uncredited ski jumper into an American icon of bad luck and misfortune. Meanwhile, having retired to his quiet, private life in Slovenia, Bogataj was unaware of his celebrity, and so was surprised to be asked to attend the 20th anniversary celebration for Wide World of Sports in 1981.  He received the loudest ovation of any athlete introduced at the gala and attendees such as Muhammad Ali asked him for his autograph.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinko_Bogataj

Offline RoosGirl

You realize you’re talking about President Trump—the builder. This is specifically in his wheelhouse.

When he does a project he knows exactly how much it cost him to build, yet when the government does that same project that it cost taxpayers 10x as much, or more.

I heard him criticize the bloated costs of the new VA hospital in Colorado and how much less it could have cost if it were a private build.

Building is what he built his success on. I’m confident he’s gonna do his best to control infrastructure costs.

I think the danger here is assuming that POTUS, any POTUS, would have the kind of oversight that is necessary to "do a project" as you are describing above.  It ain't going to happen; for one thing it's not his job anymore.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
   I sure hope so @aligncare as you say it is in his wheelhouse.   The only thing worse than spending a $1T we don't have is wasting a $1T we don't have.

I brought a rolled pair of socks into my living room to throw at my TV... for when that commercial comes on about 'bad' Barbara Comstock, who voted for Prez. Trump's tax cuts which will 'ADD' one Trillion Dollars to the debt...

Nobody said sh*t....not even Republicans, when Obama added $11 Trillion.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald