Author Topic: Job growth in 2017 was at its weakest since 2010  (Read 2252 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: Job growth in 2017 was at its weakest since 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 02:18:06 pm »
Looking occasionally at the want ads in the local rag most of them seek people with tech training or the trades.  Very few job offers for SJWs or community organizers. 
HS students must be encouraged  to seek post high school education in tech fields or the trades. Too many HS grads go on to college seeking all but worthless liberal arts degrees.
Maybe they're already doing this, I don't know, I haven't talked to any HS teachers or other people in the know lately.  But we certainly don't need the mobs of SJWs  who are now taking up space (or worse) in many colleges and universities.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 07:07:39 pm »
Looking at "Jobs created" while ignoring "Jobs lost" is like boasting about how the Dodgers scored 9 runs the night before, while neglecting to mention the Giants scored 12.

That's why I prefer to stick with looking at the Labor Force Participation Rate.  It's been oscillating between 62.7 and 63.1% since 2014, with no appreciable gain in '17.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:07:58 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 07:12:36 pm »
Looking at "Jobs created" while ignoring "Jobs lost" is like boasting about how the Dodgers scored 9 runs the night before, while neglecting to mention the Giants scored 12.

That's why I prefer to stick with looking at the Labor Force Participation Rate.  It's been oscillating between 62.7 and 63.1% since 2014, with no appreciable gain in '17.

I recently read a story making a big deal about how retail jobs were lost during December. In my view, people are moving out of multiple, low-paying, part-time jobs and into a single, better paying full-time position, as conditions improve.

Technically, there are job losses, but it is better overall for the economy and workers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:13:41 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 07:17:04 pm »
I recently read a story making a big deal about how retail jobs were lost during December. In my view, people are moving out of multiple, low-paying, part-time jobs and into a single, better paying full-time position, as conditions improve.

Technically, there are job losses, but it is better overall for the economy and workers.

The retail sector is going through a lot of pain now.  The online mail-order business is wiping out the brick and mortar stores.  Even grocery stores are not immune.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 07:30:22 pm »
The retail sector is going through a lot of pain now.  The online mail-order business is wiping out the brick and mortar stores.  Even grocery stores are not immune.

Should be more jobs for delivery drivers, logistics, warehouse workers though.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 07:43:48 pm »
Should be more jobs for delivery drivers, logistics, warehouse workers though.

Yup.  I wonder if it's a net loss or gain?
I will NOT comply.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 07:52:04 pm »
Yup.  I wonder if it's a net loss or gain?

I don' t know, but the US is currently at full employment.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 07:58:57 pm »
We know the unemployment rate is subject to manipulation, so I wonder what the employment rate is over time.  I'll look it up later when I get time.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 08:00:24 pm »

Job growth numbers are specified as net, they include losses.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 08:02:50 pm »
Job growth numbers are specified as net, they include losses.

Thanks.  One would think the Dems would insert that into all the bragging they kept doing when Obama was King.
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 08:47:38 pm »

The identifiable problem with that metric was pointed out on a different thread months ago that its denominator includes retired people like myself.

I have no interest in a job, so what type of gauge is it to include those no longer interested in working alongside those who are willing to work but cannot find a job?  It also means as more retirees get into the mix and live longer, that metric will invariably go down which once again does nothing to understand the health of the economy via the number of bonafide job seekers.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:25 pm »
The identifiable problem with that metric was pointed out on a different thread months ago that its denominator includes retired people like myself.

I have no interest in a job, so what type of gauge is it to include those no longer interested in working alongside those who are willing to work but cannot find a job?  It also means as more retirees get into the mix and live longer, that metric will invariably go down which once again does nothing to understand the health of the economy via the number of bonafide job seekers.

That's what I suspected, the number is bound to head south as us old farts retire (Mine in a couple years).  It also includes a lot of people who are "Disabled," that aren't really, but were added to the SSDI rolls to help keep the U3 numbers down for Obama.

There is no statistic that has not been bastardized.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:57:11 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 10:16:36 pm »

@Cyber Liberty @IsailedawayfromFR

Rather than the rate, we should look at the actual number, taking into consideration the growth of the workforce (i.e. people aged 21-60) due to immigration.

The premise here being that jobs do not retire with retiring workers.  The Obama Administration used the retiring workers excuse for declining employment numbers.  Yet the total number of jobs should not decline because a worker retires.  Instead, that job should go to someone else.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:20 pm »
@Cyber Liberty @IsailedawayfromFR

Rather than the rate, we should look at the actual number, taking into consideration the growth of the workforce (i.e. people aged 21-60) due to immigration.

The premise here being that jobs do not retire with retiring workers.  The Obama Administration used the retiring workers excuse for declining employment numbers.  Yet the total number of jobs should not decline because a worker retires.  Instead, that job should go to someone else.
Well, it may not go to someone else as it is not a zero sum game.

Technology got rid of the thousands of Bell Telephone operators, for example. 
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington