Author Topic: GOP senators say they're getting closer on bipartisan DACA fix  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: GOP senators say they're getting closer on bipartisan DACA fix
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 04:12:17 am »
I would add a 5 year moratorium on any new immigration to the U.S. to give the ones that are already here time to assimilate to the American culture.  We've had over 50 years without any break...time for a pause...and a shift of focus away form immigrants primarily from Central and South America.

Excellent idea.  I totally agree.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 04:28:52 am »
Excellent idea.  I totally agree.

It's been killing us since it got passed in 1965.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 04:46:47 am »

Legal immigration isn't the problem, TX, globalism is.   Companies don't make things here for one or both of two reasons - they can't get the workers they need here,  or they can get cheaper, more reliable workers elsewhere.   

I disagree with this. The workers are here and things can be manufactured competitively. I work in manufacturing

Do you think the textile industry died in this country because of immigrant labor?   Towards the end,  immigrants were just about the only folks still working in textile mills.

Textile mills, like all other industries, needed to automate and upgrade. Unions had a lot to do with their demise as well 

To me, the germ of a solution lies in tariffs, or a tax on the value added to a product by foreign labor.  (Here, I depart from conventional conservatism, which eschews tariffs in favor of free trade.)   

No, tariffs just have the reverse effect of also barring our own goods from other markets. See Smoot-Hawley

But once our tax policy encourages companies to consider U.S. manufacturing again,  those companies will still stay away unless they can find the skilled and semi-skilled labor they need here.  That's why legal immigration is so crucial - if white folks living in some Tennessee holler won't migrate to where the jobs are,  or acquire the skills those jobs need, then companies are going to have to bring in immigrants. 

I will agree that people in the US should migrate to where the jobs are.

So long as those immigrants are here legally (including by means of guest worker programs), and being paid over the table,  then the economy will prosper.

No, they will just replace the worker-the one you claim won't work-with someone who will do it for less money. See Disney. 

Edit - I hear an objection from GrouchoTex that immigrants will send some of what they earn home to their families.  What's wrong with that?   Would you prefer that immigrants be able to bring their families here to be educated and cared for with taxpayer money? 

No, I prefer the immigrant not participating in our own economy to not be here in the first place. No Immigrant to send the money back, no need to worry about this anymore 
 @GrouchoTex

Thank you so much.  It is refreshing to hear from someone who actually works in manufacturing as I do.  I have worked in Manufacturing almost 40 years.  It is disheartening to see how immigrants are trying to take over the entire manufacturing field.  I remember when it was farm jobs.  People saying oh they are doing the jobs nobody wants to do.  Then it was construction and now manufacturing.  They came for my job and soon they will come for everyone else's too. 

So irritating to hear Jazzhead spill out the same old tired argument about companies not being able to find people to do the jobs.  If companies were force to e verify Americans would love the jobs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:49:49 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 05:01:44 am »
That used to be the accepted conservative position.   Remember Reagan's Shining City?   

Conservatism and Bannonism are not the same thing.   Employers need workers, and the government policy should permit them to get and retain the workers they need, legally.   Immigrants work hard and often have the skills and ambition that too many native-born lack.  I can certainly agree with reforming some of the rules for legal immigration (e.g., replacing chain immigration with skills-based immigration),  but advocating a stop to legal immigration is folly, and would be a disaster to the economy.   

If its Conservative then I am confused.   Why would I call myself a Conservative when it hurts my family financially?  It isn't Conservative.  Is it Liberal also?.  Illegal immigration has just found its way into government period.  It is politicians rewarding corporations that want to pay lower wages and to hell with American workers.  Between the two parties the motives may be slightly different but the outcome is the same.  What should American workers identify as?  People without a party?  Taxation without representation. 

https://fairus.org/issue/workforce-economy/lower-wages-american-workers

And......BTW, I don't  send my money to a different country.  I do make less and I spend less in this economy too.  Since my wages are only a little over $1 more than I made in 1995 I won't be camping at Best Buy waiting to get that 60" television on Black Friday.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:36:37 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:32 am »
Legal immigration isn't the problem, TX, globalism is.   Companies don't make things here for one or both of two reasons - they can't get the workers they need here,  or they can get cheaper, more reliable workers elsewhere.   

I disagree with this. The workers are here and things can be manufactured competitively. I work in manufacturing

Do you think the textile industry died in this country because of immigrant labor?   Towards the end,  immigrants were just about the only folks still working in textile mills.

Textile mills, like all other industries, needed to automate and upgrade. Unions had a lot to do with their demise as well 

To me, the germ of a solution lies in tariffs, or a tax on the value added to a product by foreign labor.  (Here, I depart from conventional conservatism, which eschews tariffs in favor of free trade.)   

No, tariffs just have the reverse effect of also barring our own goods from other markets. See Smoot-Hawley

But once our tax policy encourages companies to consider U.S. manufacturing again,  those companies will still stay away unless they can find the skilled and semi-skilled labor they need here.  That's why legal immigration is so crucial - if white folks living in some Tennessee holler won't migrate to where the jobs are,  or acquire the skills those jobs need, then companies are going to have to bring in immigrants. 

I will agree that people in the US should migrate to where the jobs are.

So long as those immigrants are here legally (including by means of guest worker programs), and being paid over the table,  then the economy will prosper.

No, they will just replace the worker-the one you claim won't work-with someone who will do it for less money. See Disney. 

Edit - I hear an objection from GrouchoTex that immigrants will send some of what they earn home to their families.  What's wrong with that?   Would you prefer that immigrants be able to bring their families here to be educated and cared for with taxpayer money? 

No, I prefer the immigrant not participating in our own economy to not be here in the first place. No Immigrant to send the money back, no need to worry about this anymore 
 @GrouchoTex

Thank you so much.  It is refreshing to hear from someone who actually works in manufacturing as I do.  I have worked in Manufacturing almost 40 years.  It is disheartening to see how immigrants are trying to take over the entire manufacturing field.  I remember when it was farm jobs.  People saying oh they are doing the jobs nobody wants to do.  Then it was construction and now manufacturing.  They came for my job and soon they will come for everyone else's too. 

So irritating to hear Jazzhead spill out the same old tired argument about companies not being able to find people to do the jobs.  If companies were force to e verify Americans would love the jobs.

The problem is not so unsolvable as many would like you to believe. We need to do two things and the problem goes away.

1. Get control of who is in our country.

2. Get rid of the current INSANE Marxist tax code.

Do that and the problem is gone overnight! And the Globalist among us know that!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:38:36 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 12:52:06 pm »
The problem is not so unsolvable as many would like you to believe. We need to do two things and the problem goes away.

1. Get control of who is in our country.

2. Get rid of the current INSANE Marxist tax code.

Do that and the problem is gone overnight!

:bigsilly:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 02:40:06 pm »

@Oceander

I added a line to my post for your benefit.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 02:56:09 pm »
I will add one more thing...
Immigrants, both legal and illegal, send money back home to support their family members left behind.
That is money not involved in the local economies, that would, in turn, be used to hire more workers, give raises, buy more equipment, etc., etc....
The bank of Mexico estimates that 95% of its funds came from the US, by way of money being sent back to family members, to the tune of billions.
KTRH, a Houston radio station, aired this story, this very morning, on my way to work.

On the flip side...., illegal/undocumented workers, in their zeal to find jobs, use fraudulent SS numbers.

The end result last time I read, was approx. $700 Billion SURPLUS, in unclaimed FICA taxes collected.

Have been seeing 'commercials' about the ill-effects of chain migration, and points out that by accepting unskilled laborers and not seeking/accepting highly qualified immigrants for specialized fields, leaves the USA chasing #1.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald