Author Topic: In Switzerland, You Can Be Denied Citizenship for Being Too Annoying  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Suppressed

In Switzerland, You Can Be Denied Citizenship for Being Too Annoying
Here is one matter, at least, in which the Swiss refuse to be neutral.

MEGAN GARBER  JAN 14, 2017 
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/switzerland-citizenship-nancy-holten/513212/

Nancy Holten wants to become a naturalized Swiss citizen. Her criticism of cowbells, however, has thwarted that desire.
Lisi Niesner / Reuters

Nancy Holten, 42, was born in the Netherlands. At the age of 8, however, she moved with her family to Switzerland, which Holten has called home for the past 34 years. Holten currently resides, with her three daughters, in the small village of Gipf-Oberfrick, in the far north of the country, within the canton of Aargau. She speaks fluent Swiss-German. Her daughters are Swiss citizens. She has been a member of the parents’ committee of their school.

And yet Holten was recently rejected for a Swiss passport—which is also to say, effectively, for naturalized Swiss citizenship. For the second time.

The reason? In Switzerland, applications for naturalization are decided not at the federal level, but rather by the country’s cantons and municipalities—and the applicants’ peers have a say in whether naturalization gets granted.
 And, unfortunately for Nancy Holten, her peers are not inclined to give her the “gift” of a passport. Because, despite all the ways she is Swiss, Holten—a vegan who is extremely vocal about that life choice—has also stridently opposed one of the most beloved cultural traditions of Gipf-Oberfrick, and of Aargau, and of Switzerland itself: the practice of putting large bells around the necks of cows, for reasons both practical and ceremonial. Insert your preferred “more cowbell” joke here.

Holten’s peers would not grant her citizenship, they said, ‘if she annoys us and doesn’t respect our traditions.’

In 2015, Holten’s application for naturalization was approved by local authorities but then rejected, in a vote, by 144 of 206 residents of Gipf-Oberfrick. In November of 2016, a similarly sized group gathered at a communal assembly to hear Holten's case. Some of the attendees booed her as the debates took place. For them, it seems, the matter wasn’t so much that Holten was outspoken in her criticism of the bells (though Tanja Suter, the president of the local branch of the Swiss People’s Party, did complain to reporters that Holten has a “big mouth”). The problem was rather that Holten’s activism, they have said, displays a lack of respect for the village’s—and the country’s—cultural traditions. The problem was also, more to the point, that Holten had demonstrated that disrespect so publicly.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: In Switzerland, You Can Be Denied Citizenship for Being Too Annoying
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:36:44 pm »
You better cross Switzerland off your list.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline anubias

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »
You better cross Switzerland off your list.

OMIGOD, I laughed so loudly that everybody came running again.  Thanks for that.   :silly:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:36:15 pm »
OMIGOD, I laughed so loudly that everybody came running again.  Thanks for that.   :silly:

8888mistltoe

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:12 pm »
My wife, baby and I lived for a year and half, in an in Germany. The building had two main residences, an architect office, and out small apartment.

One of the main residents considered themselves superior, and chewed us out more than once, over our lack of knowledge of customs.

The first time they were downright rude and angry. Later they wanted us to buy them goods using our rations, for sugar and coffee etc.

They toned down their criticisms, but still made clear we knew when we made mistakes.

One mistake was using the garden hose to wash our car on Sunday, strictly forbidden we learned.

I can see those Swiss, considering her an outsider and a nonconforming one at that, voting her unqualified for citizenship.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:44:12 pm »
Another ringing endorsement of Direct Democracy/Mobocracy.

http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa10.htm
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:38:20 pm »
I think I shall suggest this policy for continued membership here.  @Frank Cannon will be at the top of my list.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 10:45:54 pm »
I think I shall suggest this policy for continued membership here.  @Frank Cannon will be at the top of my list.

It's already happened. So many people have me on ignore that no one knows I post here anymore.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »
Oh well, I forgot I had him on ignore so someone copy his reply if he ever does.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 10:50:15 pm »
Oh well, I forgot I had him on ignore so someone copy his reply if he ever does.

Bitch.

Offline anubias

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 06:15:14 am »

8888mistltoe

Back atcha darlin’.  You made my day. 

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 01:36:23 am »

Back atcha darlin’.  You made my day.

You don't have to call me Darlin', Darling.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 02:06:13 am »

Oh, heck, RoosGirl!  @Frank Cannon is one of my favorite smart a$$es on TBR.  (I especially liked his avatar with Frank Cannon crawling on the lawn.  I wish he would bring that one back!)

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 02:10:16 am »
Oh, heck, RoosGirl!  @Frank Cannon is one of my favorite smart a$$es on TBR.  (I especially liked his avatar with Frank Cannon crawling on the lawn.  I wish he would bring that one back!)

Who?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 02:23:14 am »
Bitch.

You picked that because she’s wearing a  8888sitting kitty bow.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 02:25:11 am »
Also @Frank Cannon , that’s exactly how I pictured a fight between you and @RoosGirl .
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 03:35:56 am »
Also @Frank Cannon , that’s exactly how I pictured a fight between you and @RoosGirl .

@RoosGirl and I get better ratings than Dynasty with our Mutt and Jeff routine.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 03:52:17 am »
Frank's and my last good fight...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:54:38 am by RoosGirl »