Author Topic: The Trump Effect: Business, Anticipating Less Regulation, Loosens Purse Strings  (Read 547 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
WASHINGTON — A wave of optimism has swept over American business leaders, and it is beginning to translate into the sort of investment in new plants, equipment and factory upgrades that bolsters economic growth, spurs job creation — and may finally raise wages significantly.

While business leaders are eager for the tax cuts that take effect this year, the newfound confidence was initially inspired by the Trump administration’s regulatory pullback, not so much because deregulation is saving companies money but because the administration has instilled a faith in business executives that new regulations are not coming.

“It’s an overall sense that you’re not going to face any new regulatory fights,” said Granger MacDonald, a home builder in Kerrville, Tex. “We’re not spending more, which is the main thing. We’re not seeing any savings, but we’re not seeing any increases.”

The applause from top executives has been largely reserved for the administration’s economic policy agenda. Many chief executives have been publicly critical of President Trump’s approach to social and cultural issues, including his response to a white nationalist march over the summer in Charlottesville, Va., that turned deadly and his decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord. Two of the business advisory councils that Mr. Trump assembled in the nascent days of his presidency disbanded after executives grew concerned about his public remarks on the violence in Charlottesville.

more at:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/01/us/politics/trump-businesses-regulation-economic-growth.html?_r=0&mid=95747&rid=1545179
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Crippling and unnecessary regulations have probably hurt business more than taxes.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Crippling and unnecessary regulations have probably hurt business more than taxes.

327 posts on a Roy Moore thread that stinks with rotten decay.

It is a sick thing that people on this forum only want to post on that kind of subject.

Offline aligncare

327 posts on a Roy Moore thread that stinks with rotten decay.

It is a sick thing that people on this forum only want to post on that kind of subject.

For some reason unknown to me  *****rollingeyes***** , articles that point out the positive aspects of Trump’s presidency hold very little interest around here.

I can’t figure out why that is. Do you have any guesses?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
@aligncare

It's right there in your byline.

"NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice."
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Oceander

For some reason unknown to me  *****rollingeyes***** , articles that point out the positive aspects of Trump’s presidency hold very little interest around here.

I can’t figure out why that is. Do you have any guesses?

If you don’t like it, why not go start your own forum instead of trying to sabotage the forum myst has worked so hard to build up?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
If you don’t like it, why not go start your own forum instead of trying to sabotage the forum myst has worked so hard to build up?

Because Myst doesn't have an e-troll detector at the registration page here, that's why.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Concerned

We’re currently at 3+% GDP growth, 4.1% unemployment, and a record stock market.  It’ll be interesting, this year, to see how significantly these all improve as a result of the tax reform bill, the impacts of deregulation, repatriated cash by US businesses, and the President’s other economic policies.  From the link in the OP:

“There is little historical evidence tying regulation levels to growth……..

<snip>

The evidence is weak that regulation actually reduces economic activity or that deregulation stimulates it. But business executives are largely convinced that the cost of complying with rules diverts money that could be invested elsewhere. And economists see a plausible connection between Mr. Trump’s determination to prune the federal rule book and the willingness of businesses to crank open their vaults. Measures of business confidence have climbed to record heights during Mr. Trump’s first year.

“The notion that deregulation unleashes growth is virtually impossible to find in the data,” said Jared Bernstein, a senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities who served as the chief economic adviser to Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr..................

<snip>

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

And the more he gets rid of the better off all of us will be.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I'm not trying to sabotage Myst's forum.  It's the only place I post.  I'm trying to improve it.  It desperately needs some people more willing to dig up interesting articles about politics and more people willing to post on them.

I love Myst and I'm a contributor.

I certainly don't love all the members. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
We’re currently at 3+% GDP growth, 4.1% unemployment, and a record stock market.  It’ll be interesting, this year, to see how significantly these all improve as a result of the tax reform bill, the impacts of deregulation, repatriated cash by US businesses, and the President’s other economic policies.  From the link in the OP:

“There is little historical evidence tying regulation levels to growth……..

<snip>

The evidence is weak that regulation actually reduces economic activity or that deregulation stimulates it. But business executives are largely convinced that the cost of complying with rules diverts money that could be invested elsewhere. And economists see a plausible connection between Mr. Trump’s determination to prune the federal rule book and the willingness of businesses to crank open their vaults. Measures of business confidence have climbed to record heights during Mr. Trump’s first year.

“The notion that deregulation unleashes growth is virtually impossible to find in the data,” said Jared Bernstein, a senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities who served as the chief economic adviser to Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr..................

<snip>

That 'snip' is why we call it the New York Times.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Add to less regulation the tax reform bill passed in December and the Trump Effect will unleash out economy --- and employees will be the first beneficiaries.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,297717.0.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

“There is little historical evidence tying regulation levels to growth…….. <snip> 

“The notion that deregulation unleashes growth is virtually impossible to find in the data,” said Jared Bernstein,

Well, Mr. Bernstein,  perhaps this is because deregulation on the scale the President is implementing hasn't happened before. I suggest you keep your pencil at the ready --- new data is on its way.