Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159813 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #700 on: June 08, 2018, 03:52:00 pm »
He wrote of the stress of never being home, always waking up somewhere else, nightmares about being stuck in a hotel, never getting to see his wife and daughter, etc.

Well, that was his choice.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #701 on: June 08, 2018, 04:11:20 pm »
He always came off as angry to me.  I didn't watch him because of that.
I found him condescending and annoying.  He recently did an episode of his show in WV. He chose to visit a poor southern area, because he was hoping for ignorance and bigotry.  To his surprise,  he found good hearted,  friendly folks who were well informed and not prejudiced at all. To his credit,  he acknowledged his own prejudice, more or less.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #702 on: June 08, 2018, 06:05:36 pm »
I found him condescending and annoying.  He recently did an episode of his show in WV. He chose to visit a poor southern area, because he was hoping for ignorance and bigotry.  To his surprise,  he found good hearted,  friendly folks who were well informed and not prejudiced at all. To his credit,  he acknowledged his own prejudice, more or less.

That I might have watched.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #703 on: June 08, 2018, 06:13:46 pm »
Said he would poison Trump if he cooked for him.

Completely forgot about that.    :smokin:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #704 on: June 08, 2018, 06:21:35 pm »
He wrote of the stress of never being home, always waking up somewhere else, nightmares about being stuck in a hotel, never getting to see his wife and daughter, etc.

Maybe he will get to see them more now that he's not rushing around so much..
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Applewood

« Reply #705 on: June 08, 2018, 06:30:19 pm »

Watched his show once where he was eating insects  I was just about to start dinner, but that segment spoiled my appetite.  And I'm normally the kind of person who can eat anytime, anywhere, under any circumstances. 

Maybe I should have watched Bourdain more often.  Would have been a great weight loss tool.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #706 on: June 08, 2018, 06:54:55 pm »
Maybe he will get to see them more now that he's not rushing around so much..

LOL. Nice.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #707 on: June 09, 2018, 03:48:19 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44425293

First Bond girl, Eunice Gayson passes away at 90.

Maybe the first time, these famous words were uttered:

"Trench, Sylvia Trench. I admire your luck, Mr... ?"

"Bond, James Bond."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:54:55 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #708 on: June 09, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »
Fleetwood Mac Guitarist Danny Kirwan Dead at 68

Danny Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac in their early days as a great blues group, for part of their English Rose album (a U.S. hybrid of two British albums, The Pious Bird of Good Omen and Mr. Wonderful; he became founder/leader Peter Green's best guitar teammate when Jeremy Spencer---he of the incessant Elmore James cloning and insipid old-time rock and roll parodies (including his rather disgusting habit of hanging water-filled condoms from his guitar's tuners during live performances of those parodies)---decided he didn't want to play on Green's material. Kirwan was eventually sacked from the group (Green and Spencer were long gone by then, and they were becoming a very different band) over his alcoholism after the Bare Trees album and, after making four albums on his own, all but disappeared, being reported homeless at various times in his life.

RIP . . .

Fleetwood Mac, "Like It This Way" (written and sung by Danny Kirwan with slick call-and-response jamming between himself and Peter Green)

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:56:21 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #709 on: June 09, 2018, 04:38:36 pm »
I liked the Mac Fleetwood in the early days...I didn't like Nicks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #710 on: June 09, 2018, 10:22:01 pm »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #711 on: June 09, 2018, 10:24:15 pm »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #712 on: June 09, 2018, 10:27:12 pm »
I saw this, but I'm skeptical.

Yeah, I'm not generally a big fan of boogiemen.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #713 on: June 09, 2018, 10:28:40 pm »
Yeah, I'm not generally a big fan of boogiemen.

Even if he's Hillary.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #714 on: June 09, 2018, 10:35:57 pm »
Even if he's Hillary.

:laugh:

She's the worst, and considering the trail of dead bodies she's left in her wake, I might make an exception for her.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #715 on: June 10, 2018, 01:11:42 am »
Journalist killed in hit and run in DC:

USA TODAY foreign affairs reporter Oren Dorell killed in hit-and-run

Sean Rossman, USA TODAY Published 6:31 p.m. ET June 9, 2018 | Updated 8:19 p.m. ET June 9, 2018

(Photo: Courtesy of Ginny Knapp Dorell)

Oren Dorell, a former construction contractor who became a globe-trotting foreign affairs reporter for USA TODAY, died Friday evening in Washington, D.C. He was 53.

Dorell was hit by a suspected impaired driver while riding his motorcycle. The crash is under investigation.

D.C.’s Metropolitan Police Department said Dorell was driving east in the 1100 block of H Street NE on a 2018 Kawasaki Ninja just before 8:30 p.m. when he was struck by a Toyota Camry, which fled the scene. The driver, 47-year-old Daryl Grant Alexander, faces charges of second-degree murder, driving under the influence and leaving after colliding, police said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/06/09/oren-dorell-usa-today-reporter-killed-hit-run-motorcycle/687887002/

Phillip Smyth
‏ @PhillipSmyth

This is awful. @OrenDorell was a kind, down-to-earth, and hard working journalist.
https://twitter.com/PhillipSmyth

It really shows, we never know when we may be taken.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:12:35 am by TomSea »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #716 on: June 10, 2018, 02:44:14 am »
Gena Goldfinger Turgel, Holocaust survivor dubbed the 'Bride of Belsen', dies at 95

A Polish Jew, Turgel survived a bombing and was interred at four concentration camps during the World War II Holocaust, including a stop at the Bergen-Belsen camp, where she was the caretaker who nursed Anne Frank as Frank died of typhus in the camp. At one of her stops, she survived a stint in a gas chamber, becoming one of the few to come out alive. She ended up marrying one of her liberators, British serviceman Norman Turgel, which earned her the 'Bride of Belsen' name.

Turgel spent most of the rest of her life in England educating people about the Holocaust. Her memoir, I Light a Candle, was published in 1987.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #717 on: June 10, 2018, 02:48:26 am »
Gena Goldfinger Turgel, Holocaust survivor dubbed the 'Bride of Belsen', dies at 95

A Polish Jew, Turgel survived a bombing and was interred at four concentration camps during the World War II Holocaust, including a stop at the Bergen-Belsen camp, where she was the caretaker who nursed Anne Frank as Frank died of typhus in the camp. At one of her stops, she survived a stint in a gas chamber, becoming one of the few to come out alive. She ended up marrying one of her liberators, British serviceman Norman Turgel, which earned her the 'Bride of Belsen' name.

Turgel spent most of the rest of her life in England educating people about the Holocaust. Her memoir, I Light a Candle, was published in 1987.

Wikipedia

What a life she had!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #718 on: June 10, 2018, 04:33:38 am »
Eunice Gayson, First ‘Bond’ Girl, Dies at 90

RIP Sylvia Trench (in Dr. No, the film that launched the franchise).

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #719 on: June 10, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »

Wikipedia

@jmyrlefuller

My favorite part of her bio is where it says "she is survived by children,grandchildren,and great-grandchildren".

She beat the bastards!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #720 on: June 10, 2018, 02:38:58 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

My favorite part of her bio is where it says "she is survived by children,grandchildren,and great-grandchildren".

She beat the bastards!
@sneakypete
I just did some reading about her. Beat them? She buried them.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #721 on: June 15, 2018, 01:18:09 am »
D.J. Fontana, pioneering rock-and-roll drummer who drummed for Elvis Presley, dies at 87

Fontana, a drummer who originally was trained in jazz stylings, joined Sun Records after a stretch with the Louisiana Hayride radio program in 1954. His backbeat-driven drumming, a contrast from the country-style drumming that most Southern artists used at the time, was a distinguishing styling that caught the attention of Sun recording artist Elvis Presley. Presley would keep Fontana on as a drummer through 1968 (which is when he went to a sleeker big-band sound that would dominate Presley's recordings for the rest of his life).

Fontana does not appear to have had a meaningful career in music after his time with Presley ended.

Obituary from Ultimate Classic Rock

Wikipedia

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #722 on: June 15, 2018, 01:35:48 am »
@jmyrlefuller

She beat the bastards!

I can't believe there are pigs out there who would deny the Holocaust happened.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #723 on: June 16, 2018, 08:38:00 am »
Matt “Guitar” Murphy Dies: Blues Brothers Guitarist And Noted Sideman Was 88
by Bruce Haring   June 15, 2018 5:10pm
https://deadline.com/2018/06/matt-guitar-murphy-dies-blues-brothers-guitarist-and-noted-sideman-was-88-1202411826/

Matt “Guitar” Murphy, best known as one of the stalwarts of the Blues Brothers Band and a renowned sideman with Howlin’ Wolf, Memphis Slim, Muddy Waters, James Cotton and many others, has died. He was 88 and his death was confirmed by his nephew, Floyd Murphy Jr., on Facebook.

Murphy gained his biggest audience as a member of the band in the Blues Brothers movies, appearing as the beleagured husband of cafe owner Aretha Franklin, insisting that he was “the man” when Franklin objected to him re-joining the band.

[...]

! No longer available
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #724 on: June 16, 2018, 10:25:28 am »
Those were fun movies.  And such a great assortment of musical talent. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Murphy.