Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159759 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:28 am »
Marty Allen Has Died, Age 95
LAS VEGAS — Marty Allen, the baby-faced, bug-eyed comedian with wild black hair who was a staple of TV variety shows, game shows and talk shows for decades, died Monday night. He was 95.

Allen died in Las Vegas of complications from pneumonia with his wife and performing partner of the last three decades Karon Kate Blackwell by his side, Allen’s spokeswoman Candi Cazau told The Associated press.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/comedian-marty-allen-dies-in-las-vegas-at-95/2018/02/12/61e3a4e4-1073-11e8-a68c-e9374188170e_story.html?utm_term=.5e45b6c959cd

! No longer available
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:18:41 am by GtHawk »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2018, 07:15:34 am »
Good Grief!  Almost all of the entertainers I grew up watching on Ed Sullivan are gone.  I remember Allen and his partner, Steve Rossi, performing on Ed Sullivan frequently.  This was back in the day when comedians were actually funny.    Allen didnt really have to say or do anything. Just looking at him could make you laugh.

Rest in peace, Mr. Allen.  Thanks for the laughs.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2018, 12:27:04 pm »
Former Little Rascal Lassie Lou Ahern dies at 97

Ahern appeared in Hal Roach's Our Gang shorts for a brief stretch in the mid-1920s, while the series was still composed of silent films. Other than a few brief returns to the screen, first on film during World War II and then in the 1970s on television, Ahern lived most of the rest of her life in obscurity; she remained on the fringes of the entertainment industry, working as a dance instructor for celebrities and (especially during the 1930s) maintaining a stage act with her sister Peggy. Her longevity (and young age at the peak of her career) made her one of the last surviving stars of the silent film era.

She died February 15 from the flu.

Obituary from the Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2018, 02:54:34 pm »
Former Little Rascal Lassie Lou Ahern dies at 97

Ahern appeared in Hal Roach's Our Gang shorts for a brief stretch in the mid-1920s, while the series was still composed of silent films. Other than a few brief returns to the screen, first on film during World War II and then in the 1970s on television, Ahern lived most of the rest of her life in obscurity; she remained on the fringes of the entertainment industry, working as a dance instructor for celebrities and (especially during the 1930s) maintaining a stage act with her sister Peggy. Her longevity (and young age at the peak of her career) made her one of the last surviving stars of the silent film era.

She died February 15 from the flu.

Obituary from the Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB

What an amazing life she had!  (Even if she lived it in Hollywood.)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2018, 01:27:37 pm »
Billy Graham, renowned TV evangelist, dead at 99

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/billy-graham-preacher-who-rose-to-prominence-dead-at-99/

Breaking- obituary to follow...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:28:36 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31:56 pm »
Methusaleh no longer walks this earth.

Met him a long time ago sitting around a table with him and Josh McDowell. Pretty funny, witty guy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2018, 01:45:49 pm »
Billy was a humble servant of God. Welcome home.

I'm intrigued, @Free Vulcan . I heard Josh at an apologetics conference a few years ago - great speaker.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/billy-graham-preacher-who-rose-to-prominence-dead-at-99/

Unlike other evangelist at least you didn't hear any scandals about him. 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2018, 02:05:29 pm »
R.I.P Reverend Graham. You've given the comforting word of God's love and grace to millions around the world, bringing them hope when they had none. Now it's time for you to rest in God's loving arms.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2018, 02:06:26 pm »
I've been watching The Crown on Netflix -- a dramatization of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.   One episode depicted her introduction to Billy Graham.  Turned out that they have had a lasting friendship for many years.  Rev. Graham reached many - from the lowest to the highest.

Rest in peace, Sir. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »
Godspeed, Mr. Graham. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2018, 02:38:46 pm »
Billy was a humble servant of God. Welcome home.

I'm intrigued, @Free Vulcan . I heard Josh at an apologetics conference a few years ago - great speaker.

It was at Moody Bible where I attended for a couple of years for some post grad work. They came to speak one night and there was a get together afterward. I ended up sitting at a table with them and some others. They must of been pretty good friends because they were playing off each other and it was hilarious.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:39:13 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2018, 02:41:46 pm »
Wow, what a great experience!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2018, 02:43:43 pm »
Rest in Peace Reverend Graham!  You served us all VERY well!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »

Attended a BG crusade as a kid at the Oakland Coliseum, it was a packed house.

Wonder if it would be packed today.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:52 pm »
Son Franklin Graham's facebook message:
Franklin Graham
3 mins ·

My father Billy Graham was once asked, “Where is Heaven?” He replied, “Heaven is where Jesus is and I am going to Him soon!” This morning, at the age of 99, he departed this world into eternal life in Heaven, prepared by the Lord Jesus Christ—the Savior of the world—whom he proclaimed for nearly 80 years. He will be missed by our family, his colleagues, faithful ministry partners, and, yes, many around the world. But what joy he has to be welcomed by God the Father, and be reunited with my mother in the presence of Jesus who speaks peace to eternal souls.

What about you? When you depart this world do you know with certainty where you will spend eternity? You can know this today. Jesus said, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life” (John 3:16). The one who comforts weary souls has given us this promise, “Let not your hearts be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me … I go to prepare a place for you … I will come again and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you may be also” (John 14:1-4).

Offline Mod1

« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:59 pm »
Just an FYI: there also are two threads in the National News/Current Events category about the Rev. Graham. Those eventually will be merged into this obituary thread.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2018, 02:59:05 pm »
I had the honor of working at the Billy Graham Association in Minneapolis decades ago, and I could feel the presence of the Lord, even when I walked in the building.

His ministry was amazing.  His character impeccable, his knowledge of Scripture deep and wide, his love of Jesus Christ deeper still.

I am SO thankful today that he is finally HOME.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline verga

« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2018, 06:11:53 pm »

Wow, all I can Say is WOW!. I remember seeing him after the Oklahoma bombing on Television. The man brought me to tears.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2018, 06:35:56 pm »

Unlike other evangelist at least you didn't hear any scandals about him.
You apparently haven't been paying attention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham#Controversies
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2018, 06:38:44 pm »
You apparently haven't been paying attention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham#Controversies

No truthful scandals.  (Wiki is a leftist source).

Billy Graham was a man of impeccable character who lived a Godly life for 99 years.

Millions of people heard the Good News of Jesus Christ through his ministry, and I'm guessing some of them are greeting him in Heaven and thanking him right now.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2018, 06:40:41 pm »
I've been watching The Crown on Netflix -- a dramatization of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.   One episode depicted her introduction to Billy Graham.  Turned out that they have had a lasting friendship for many years.  Rev. Graham reached many - from the lowest to the highest.

Rest in peace, Sir.

That is a marvelous scene and one that made me respect both Billy Graham and the Queen even more.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:59 pm »
I read a used-book on Graham's crusades from the 1960s/70s and it was very fascinating.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2018, 07:12:19 pm »
That is a marvelous scene and one that made me respect both Billy Graham and the Queen even more.

As I understand it, the Queen received some flak over her friendship with Rev. Graham.  As Queen, she was also head of the Church of England and it was considered improper for her in that capacity to associate so closely withan individual of another faith.  But the normally stickler-for-tradition Queen apparently ignored the complaints and kept up her friendship with Rev. Graham.    I'm sure she benefitted greatly from his counsel.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:03 pm »
As I understand it, the Queen received some flak over her friendship with Rev. Graham.  As Queen, she was also head of the Church of England and it was considered improper for her in that capacity to associate so closely withan individual of another faith.  But the normally stickler-for-tradition Queen apparently ignored the complaints and kept up her friendship with Rev. Graham.    I'm sure she benefitted greatly from his counsel.

I think her desire to be a woman of faith and to always do the right thing probably overrode the traditional ban on that kind of relationship.

And you're right.  I'm sure she benefitted enormously from his wise counsel.