Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159819 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1225 on: December 07, 2018, 11:26:30 pm »
MLB Players:

Four arrested in connection with deaths of Luis Valbuena and Jose Castillo

A horrifying turn in an already horrifying case: four people have been arrested in connection with the deaths of Luis Valbuena and Jose Castillo. They died after their car hit a large rock in the road, which caused them to be ejected from the vehicle. Authorities say that the rock was not in the road on accident. From the Los Angeles Times:

Authorities said the players may have been the intended victims of criminals in Venezuela who throw rocks onto roadways to disable cars or cause crashes and then rob the vehicles’ occupants. Four suspects found with Valbuena’s and Castillo’s personal belongings were arrested by police, state governor Julio León Heredia wrote on Twitter.

If this report is true, and the accident was caused by people trying to commit a robbery, this could be charged as felony murder. Or would be in the United States. Whether Venezuela’s legal system would handle it the same is unclear, but most countries do consider deaths caused in furtherance of a felony — especially when the means employed to carry out the felony are likely to cause serious injury or death — to be the most serious of crimes. It could be charged as a capital offense in the United States, subject to the death penalty where applicable. Venezuela does not have the death penalty, but it would nonetheless be among the more serious crimes that could be prosecuted.

Read more at: https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/12/07/four-arrested-in-connection-with-deaths-of-luis-valbuena-and-jose-castillo/

wikipedia, Luis Valbuena

wikipedia, José Castillo

More reading: https://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/celebrities/article222780110.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:29:06 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1226 on: December 07, 2018, 11:46:14 pm »

Free agent Luis Valbuena, former MLB player Jose Castillo died in car accident in Venezuela
    by Matt Snyder @MattSnyderCBS

The Major League Baseball family lost two members to a car crash Friday morning. The league announced that free agent infielder Luis Valbuena and former player Jose Castillo died in a car accident:

The two Venezuelans were playing winter ball in their native country and took part in a game Thursday night. On their way home, it looks like they might have been targeted in a robbery. According to BeisbolPlay (via the Los Angeles Times), authorities believe the players and two other passengers -- who survived -- could have been targets of a criminal act. It seems like some groups in Venezuela throw rocks onto roads in order to disable vehicles and then rob those in the car.

The publication further reports that four suspects were arrested by police and had some of Valbuena and Castillo's personal belongings.

Read more at: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/free-agent-luis-valbuena-former-mlb-player-jose-castillo-died-in-car-accident-in-venezuela/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1228 on: December 08, 2018, 02:48:06 am »
@EasyAce  Have you seen this?
Yes I have.

I hope whoever did this gets maximum justice.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1229 on: December 10, 2018, 09:12:21 pm »
Melvin Dummar dead: Supposedly rescued Howard Hughes in Nevada desert

Melvin Dummar won fleeting fame and a lifelong curse for supposedly rescuing Howard Hughes from the cold Central Nevada desert in December 1967, but he never saw a dime of the billionaire’s fortune, despite a disputed will that named him as a beneficiary.

Instead, Dummar worked hard at whatever jobs he could find, right up until the end.

Dummar died Saturday in Nye County, according to his brother, Ray. He was 74.

Melvin Dummar found himself hounded by the media and mocked by Johnny Carson on the “Tonight Show,” after the so-called “Mormon Will” surfaced following Hughes’ death in 1976.

The mysterious document might have made Dummar a millionaire 100 times over had it not been dismissed as a fake by a Nevada court in 1978.

The story was later dramatized in the Academy Award-winning 1980 movie “Melvin and Howard,” but all the drama and scrutiny nearly ruined Dummar’s life.

More

Wikipedia

SCTV - Melvin and Howards

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1230 on: December 14, 2018, 03:56:59 am »
Oscar-nominated actress Sondra Locke dies at 74

Actress and director Sondra Locke, who was nominated for an Academy Award for her first film role in 1968's "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" and went on to co-star in six films with Clint Eastwood, has died.

Locked died Nov. 3 at her Los Angeles home of cardiac arrest stemming from breast and bone cancer, according to a death certificate obtained by The Associated Press. She was 74. Authorities were promptly notified at the time, but her death was not publicized until RadarOnline first reported it Thursday. It is not clear why it took nearly six weeks to come to light.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Oscar-nominated-actress-Sondra-Locke-dead-at-74-13465237.php
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1231 on: December 14, 2018, 07:59:01 am »
Nancy Wilson, Grammy Winning Jazz Singer and TV Personality, Dies at 81

Nancy Wilson, one of the most revered jazz singers of the 20th century, has died at age 81, her manager told the Associated Press.

The singer passed away at her home in Pioneertown, a small California community north of Palm Springs, after a long illness, according to manager Devra Hall.

Wilson’s three Grammy awards spanned a more than 40-year period, with her first coming in 1965 in the Best Rhythm & Blues category for her Capitol single “How Glad I Am.” Her last was in 2007, awarded for Best Jazz Vocal Album for “Turned to Blue,” her final release. (She had seven nominations in all.) Wilson’s recording career actually dates back to 1959, when she released “Like in Love,” an album arranged by the legendary Billy May . . .

RIP to an artist and a lady.

Sorry...

Sorry...

Sorry...

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DB

« Reply #1232 on: December 14, 2018, 08:31:31 am »
Oscar-nominated actress Sondra Locke dies at 74

Actress and director Sondra Locke, who was nominated for an Academy Award for her first film role in 1968's "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" and went on to co-star in six films with Clint Eastwood, has died.

Locked died Nov. 3 at her Los Angeles home of cardiac arrest stemming from breast and bone cancer, according to a death certificate obtained by The Associated Press. She was 74. Authorities were promptly notified at the time, but her death was not publicized until RadarOnline first reported it Thursday. It is not clear why it took nearly six weeks to come to light.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Oscar-nominated-actress-Sondra-Locke-dead-at-74-13465237.php

A bad way to go.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1233 on: December 14, 2018, 11:30:22 am »
A bad way to go.

The cardiac arrest was a blessing, but I agree regarding breast and bone cancer.  A woman I worked with many years ago had breast cancer which ended up in her bones.  Excruciating. 

Rest in peace, Miss Locke.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:31:44 am by Applewood »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1234 on: December 14, 2018, 11:35:33 am »
@EasyAce

Thanks for the notice re:  Nancy Wilson.  I remember when she made the rounds of tv variety shows back in the 60s. She was a frequent guest of the long-defunct Mike Douglas Show, a daytime talk and entertainment show when I was growing up.   Great voice. 

May she rest in peace.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1235 on: December 14, 2018, 07:39:19 pm »
@EasyAce

Thanks for the notice re:  Nancy Wilson.  I remember when she made the rounds of tv variety shows back in the 60s. She was a frequent guest of the long-defunct Mike Douglas Show, a daytime talk and entertainment show when I was growing up.   Great voice. 

May she rest in peace.
@Applewood
If you're my age, you remember hearing this hit of hers almost as frequently as you heard the Beatles in 1964 . . .

Sorry...

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1236 on: December 14, 2018, 11:14:58 pm »
@EasyAce

I sure do remember.  I just didn't remember the title.  Once I heard it just now though -- yeah!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1237 on: December 14, 2018, 11:58:59 pm »
A bad way to go.

Sondra Locke, a memorable actress, in 'The Outlaw Josey Wales',

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondra_Locke

I also remember her in a Kung Fu episode:

Sorry...

Part of the plot was she was possessed by demons or something like that but by the end of the episode, which this is, she was freed from that.

Here too, it must have been early in the episode:

Sorry...

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:17:44 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1238 on: December 15, 2018, 12:01:44 am »
Bill Fralic, played for Pitt Panthers and the Atlanta Falcons, I saw one story saying something like he was a real life Hulk or something:

Bill Fralic, All-Pro Falcons lineman and Pitt legend, dies at 56

Bill Fralic, a four-time Pro Bowl selection and College Football Hall of Fame member, died Thursday at age 56 after a battle with cancer.

The University of Pittsburgh, where Fralic starred from 1981-84 before becoming the second overall pick in the 1985 NFL Draft, announced his passing Friday morning.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/bill-fralic-dies-obit-atlantal-falcons-pittsburgh-college-football-hall-of-fame-hof/16jvcxnx94htw1a80f5olcbsu7

More: https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/14/pitt-mourns-death-of-college-football-hall-of-famer-bill-fralic/

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1239 on: December 15, 2018, 12:22:35 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondra_Locke

I also remember her in a Kung Fu episode:

Sorry...

Part of the plot was she was possessed by demons or something like that but by the end of the episode, which this is, she was freed from that.

Here too, it must have been early in the episode:

Sorry...
i wonder how Clint feels, considering their less than amicable separation.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1240 on: December 15, 2018, 05:16:50 am »
Wilfred DeFour, 100-year-old Tuskegee Airman, dies

(CNN)Wilfred DeFour, who served with the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II, was found dead Saturday in New York. He was 100.

New York police said officers responded to a 911 call to a residence in Harlem and found a man identified as DeFour unconscious and unresponsive. There were no obvious signs of trauma, police said, and the medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

DeFour attended a ceremony last month for the renaming of a Harlem post office in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen, CNN affiliate WABC reported . . .
RIP to a hero and a groundbreaker.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1241 on: December 15, 2018, 10:59:42 am »
I met Bill Fralic once.  Seemed like a very nice guy.  Apparently, he was.  From the Sporting News:

Fralic was in the news just last week after paying the hotel costs for his alma mater, Penn Hills High School, to travel to the Pennsylvania state championship game in Hershey a day ahead of time instead of having to make the round trip on game day.

Rest in peace, Mr. Fralic. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1242 on: December 15, 2018, 11:19:12 am »
Remembering Lyudmila Alexeyeva, the Matriarch of Russia’s Human Rights Movement

To honor her, we should do our part to make the world a better place
Published in The Moscow Times
Associate Director, Europe and Central Asia Division Tanya Lokshina

To us, she was always “Grandma Lyuda,” which is also what the matriarch of Russia’s human rights movement, Lyudmila Alexeyeva, ironically called herself for the past few decades. It seemed like Grandma Lyuda had been around forever, and it seemed that she’d always be here. There was no reason to think otherwise, especially as her mind and wit remained scarily sharp into her late eighties and beyond.

Today, as we lay her to rest at 91, it’s impossible to believe that she is really gone, that there will be no more phone calls and no more heated discussions at the table, laden with delicious food, in her apartment on the Arbat, an old Moscow neighborhood. 

Alexeyeva was born in 1927, which meant, as she would say many times, that she was 25 years old when Stalin died. She knew all there was to know about totalitarianism – from Stalin’s great terror to the less bloody but still repressive decades that followed until the openness of the late eighties, which culminated in the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Read more at: https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/12/11/remembering-lyudmila-alexeyeva-matriarch-russias-human-rights-movement#

When she passed away, an article was posted. This is an additional eulogy for her. She was so powerful and renown, she was honored by the upper-rungs of the government there for whatever reason they have, for show or whatever, she was shown respect.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:21:10 am by TomSea »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1243 on: December 15, 2018, 11:14:29 pm »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1244 on: December 16, 2018, 12:42:29 am »
Les Kinsolving, Episcopal clergyman turned conservative shock jock and columnist, dies at 90

Obituary from The Baltimore Sun

Joseph Farah's tribute to Kinsolving on WorldNetDaily

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DB

« Reply #1245 on: December 16, 2018, 09:51:03 am »

I thought she played her part well in the "The Gauntlet" too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1246 on: December 16, 2018, 06:39:21 pm »
Colin Kroll, Internet entrepreneur, dies at 35

Kroll's most famous contribution to the world was Vine, a mobile app that created looping videos only six seconds long. He sold Vine to Twitter, who promptly killed off the service, then blocked him from reviving it as V2.

Kroll then founded HQ Trivia, where he was serving as CEO at the time of his death from a suspected drug overdose.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/16/hq-trivia-and-vine-co-founder-colin-kroll-found-dead-of-suspected-overdose/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1247 on: December 16, 2018, 10:11:29 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1248 on: December 16, 2018, 10:12:24 pm »
I thought she played her part well in the "The Gauntlet" too.

Didn’t she date Clint Eastwood? She was in several movies with him. Wonder how old she was.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1249 on: December 16, 2018, 10:15:32 pm »
Didn’t she date Clint Eastwood? She was in several movies with him. Wonder how old she was.

Yes @Freya   Sandra Locke dated Clint Eastwood for quite a while.

She was 74.