Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159803 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1025 on: September 29, 2018, 02:27:15 pm »
Gotta post the official video for hearts...so wonderfully cheesy:
! No longer available

BTW, how did he pronounce his last name.  I've heard it BAIL-in, and BALL-in.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1026 on: September 29, 2018, 11:56:33 pm »
Anthonius Gunawan Agung, 21 years old

He died Friday in the Indonesian earthquake.  He was the only air traffic controller left in the Palu tower after his colleagues ran when a 7.5 magnitude earthquake started. 

He waited until he had gotten Batik Air Flight 6321 off the runway before fleeing.  Sadly, fearing the tower was about to collapse, he jumped from the tower and later succumbed to his injuries.

Rest In Peace.

Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/1HebmC4

ABC (Australia) News:
Indonesian earthquake: Air traffic controller dies ensuring flight gets off the ground
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-29/earthquake-hero-dies-after-getting-flight-off-the-ground/10321204
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline endicom

« Reply #1027 on: September 30, 2018, 12:02:14 am »

He died Friday in the Indonesian earthquake.  He was the only air traffic controller left in the Palu tower after his colleagues ran when a 7.5 magnitude earthquake started. 

He waited until he had gotten Batik Air Flight 6321 off the runway before fleeing.  Sadly, fearing the tower was about to collapse, he jumped from the tower and later succumbed to his injuries.

Rest In Peace.

ABC (Australia) News:
Indonesian earthquake: Air traffic controller dies ensuring flight gets off the ground
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-29/earthquake-hero-dies-after-getting-flight-off-the-ground/10321204

Brave man.

RIP

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1028 on: September 30, 2018, 12:34:04 am »
Otis Rush, Seminal Chicago Blues Guitarist, Dead at 84

Otis Rush, "I Can't Quit You, Baby"
! No longer available

Otis Rush, "Hold That Train"
! No longer available

One of the first I sought out after I got the blues bite from B.B. King in summer 1969. And I never got tired of hearing him, either.

RIP, Mr. Rush.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1029 on: October 01, 2018, 01:11:01 pm »
Charles Aznavour, French singer-songwriter whose compositions were adapted into American hits, dies at 94

Aznavour, a Frenchman of Armenian descent, was one of France's most iconic pop singers and drew comparisons to Frank Sinatra for his devoted and widespread following in the country. He recorded an estimated 91 studio albums and over 1,000 songs over the course of his lifetime, spanning several languages, mostly French.

Aznavour's English-language recordings, while modestly popular in the UK, never broke through to mainstream success in the United States; his only chart entry there, "She," missed the Hot 100 entirely and peaked only at 44 on the Easy Listening charts. Covers of some of Aznavour's songs were more successful, however: "Hier encore" would be translated into English and adapted into "Yesterday When I Was Young," which became a major hit for Roy Clark.

Obituary from The Independent

Wikipedia

! No longer available
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1030 on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:47 am »

Rest In Peace.

ABC (Australia) News:
"Hero" is a word bandied about excessively nowadays, imho,. That man is indeed a hero. Pity he did not survive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1031 on: October 02, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »
Peggy Sue, made famous by Buddy Holly, dies at 78

Peggy Sue Gerron was the girlfriend and later wife of J. I. Allison, a member of The Crickets. During a rough patch in their relationship, Holly adapted a song he was writing to add Gerron's name. The song became a hit, prompting a sequel "Peggy Sue Got Married," which in turn inspired a film of the same name. The couple would eventually divorce years after Holly's death.

In real life, she went on to become a plumber, dental assistant and amateur radio enthusiast. She died October 1.

Obituary from the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

! No longer available

debrawiest

« Reply #1032 on: October 02, 2018, 01:25:18 pm »
"Hero" is a word bandied about excessively nowadays, imho,. That man is indeed a hero. Pity he did not survive.

God bless the memory of this brave young man.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1033 on: October 02, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »
Peggy Sue: 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1034 on: October 03, 2018, 01:15:41 pm »
Geoff Emerick, longtime sound engineer for Paul McCartney, dies at 72

Emerick began his career at age 15 for EMI Records. By age 19, after working as an assistant, he was assigned engineering duties for The Beatles, then the biggest band in the world, under the tutelage of producer George Martin. He helped produce the sound on Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road, although he quit the White Album in frustration with the erratic project.

When the personal battles between the Beatles band members led to its breakup in 1970, Emerick found himself more closely associated with Paul McCartney, and the other Beatles, who always saw Emerick as more of a "Paul guy," chose other engineers for their projects. In addition to working extensively with McCartney, he also engineered recordings for Elvis Costello, Badfinger, Jeff Beck, Cheap Trick, Supertramp, and many others.

Emerick died of a heart attack during a phone conversation with his manager William Zambelata at approximately 5 a.m. Eastern Time.

Obituary from CNN

Wikipedia

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1035 on: October 04, 2018, 11:29:44 pm »
Juan Romero, busboy who aided wounded Robert Kennedy, dies
By JOHN ROGERS and RUSSELL CONTRERAS Associated Press

October 04, 2018 06:27 PM

LOS ANGELES

When Robert F. Kennedy decided to duck through the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles after declaring victory in the 1968 Democratic presidential primary, Juan Romero reveled at his good fortune.

It meant the 18-year-old busboy might get to shake hands with his hero — the man he'd assured himself would be the next president of the United States — for the second time in two days.

Romero had just grasped Kennedy's hand when gunshots rang out, one of them striking the senator in the head.

Romero died Monday in a Modesto, California, hospital following a heart attack, Rigo Chacon, a longtime family friend and former TV newsman, told The Associated Press on Thursday. He was 68.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article219490920.html#storylink=cpy

They say he blamed himself for not doing more, he wanted to do more at least.:

Rest In Peace

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:36:14 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1036 on: October 05, 2018, 06:54:52 am »
Once upon a time, when Dave Anderson worked at the Brooklyn Eagle, he covered a Dodgers-Braves game in which Braves errors figured big in the outcome. Anderson's intended lead: "The Milwaukee Braves died with their boots." The lead in the paper after some bat-brained copy editor got hold of it: "The Milwaukee Braves died with their boots on." That'd teach them---a couple of decades later, there was Anderson with the New York Times, becoming the second sportswriter (after his colleague, the great Red Smith) to win the Pulitzer Prize for commentary (Jim Murray of the Los Angeles Times became the third in due course), having the last laugh. RIP to one of the last of the great old-time sportswriters . . .

Dave Anderson, Award-Winning Times Sportswriter, Dies at 89

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:27:00 pm by Mod2 »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1037 on: October 06, 2018, 01:57:33 am »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1038 on: October 06, 2018, 03:26:10 am »
The Claymation Christmas Special is absolutely awesome.

And as I have turned 69, I realize how young 70 is.  Too young to die.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1039 on: October 06, 2018, 04:00:38 pm »
Karl Mildenberger, Former EBU Champ & Ali Foe, Passes Away

Former EBU heavyweight champ and world title contender Karl Mildenberger has passed away at the age of 80, reports media in Germany.

Mildenberger turned pro in 1958 and first challenged for the EBU title in 1962 but lost to Dick Richardson. In 1964 he beat Santo Amonti to win the title and defended it three times before challenging the champion of the world, Muhammad Ali.

More

Wikipedia

BoxRec

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1040 on: October 06, 2018, 04:13:45 pm »
Montserrat Caballe, opera singer, dies at 85

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia

Caballe's collaboration with Freddie Mercury, "Barcelona"
! No longer available

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1041 on: October 06, 2018, 04:20:09 pm »
The Claymation Christmas Special is absolutely awesome.

And as I have turned 69, I realize how young 70 is.  Too young to die.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd6uqVNEu-peflL0eT4lOwVrRnshaod98

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1042 on: October 07, 2018, 04:22:20 am »
+++++++++

Silver Pines

« Reply #1043 on: October 09, 2018, 01:03:06 am »
Scott Wilson, who played Hershel on The Walking Dead, dies at 76
https://comicbook.com/2018/10/07/the-walking-dead-scott-wilson-dead-age-hershel/

@CatherineofAragon

@Suppressed, thank you for pinging me.  This is so sad.  I loved his character, Herschel Greene.  Wilson was still close with the cast of the show.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1044 on: October 10, 2018, 10:49:52 pm »
Alex Spanos, businessman who owned the Seattle Supersonics and San Diego-turned-Los Angeles Chargers, dies at 95
http://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-alex-spanos-obit-20181009-story.html

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1045 on: October 10, 2018, 11:00:47 pm »
George Taliaferro, first black player selected in the NFL Draft, dies at 91

Although several black players had signed with the National Football League as free agents in the late 1940s in the wake of the league's desegregation, Taliaferro, a College Football Hall of Famer and All-American from Indiana University, was the first to have been selected in the NFL Draft, being chosen with the 129th pick in the 1949 Draft. Taliaferro played seven years in professional football, including three appearances in the Pro Bowl, despite appearing for some of the league's worst and least solvent teams at the time (two of the teams, the New York Yanks and one-year wonders Dallas Texans, folded while Taliaferro was on their rosters). He spent most of his post-football career as a university professor, social worker and volunteer.

Obituary from the Indianapolis Star

Wikipedia

NFL stats

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1046 on: October 13, 2018, 06:21:53 pm »
Jim Taylor dies; was first of Vince Lombardi-era Packers inducted into Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame fullback Jim Taylor, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards over five straight seasons with the Green Bay Packers, died Saturday morning at the age of 83, the team announced.

Taylor rushed for 8,207 yards and scored 91 touchdowns in his nine seasons with the Packers from 1958-66, and he was the first of the Vince Lombardi-era players to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, in 1976.

More

Wikipedia

Career stats

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1047 on: October 14, 2018, 05:08:43 pm »
Don Leo Jonathan dead at 87 (all-time great professional wrestler)

Don Leo Delaun Heaton, better known to the pro wrestling world as "The Mormon Giant" Don Leo Jonathan, has died. He was 87 years old.

At the end of August, Heaton was admitted to a hospital in British Columbia, and never left.

Throughout his lengthy career, Don Leo Jonathan was one of the top wrestlers in the world, period. At 6-foot-6, at usually 280-320 pounds, he was both hulking, but also fast and agile, able to do a nip-up.

Contrasting his size was his voice, which was squeaky and high-pitched, yet measured and thoughtful, menacing when it needed to be, motivating when he wanted to rally the fans to his size.

More

Wikipedia

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1048 on: October 14, 2018, 05:21:08 pm »
Rest in peace Don Leo Johnathan:

Verne Gagne vs. Don Leo Jonathan (04/15/1955)
! No longer available

http://alquebec.ss38.ca/html/lutteurs/jonathan.html
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:22:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline endicom