Author Topic: Trump shifts gears on Afghanistan  (Read 659 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Trump shifts gears on Afghanistan
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:24:01 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/366832-trump-shifts-gears-on-afghanistan

President Trump is changing gears on Afghanistan as he enters his second year in office.

After decrying nation building during his presidential campaign and lambasting Afghanistan as a “complete waste,” the president is in the midst of sending thousands more troops to the country in an effort to stabilize it.

The move, military commanders say, will help break a stalemate in the longest U.S. war in history and help beat back a resurgent Taliban and straggling Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) fighters.

But defense experts say there is little indication the shift will be a quick fix.

The U.S. must contend with an increased ISIS presence while keeping Afghanistan politically stable and pressuring Pakistan to limit the space for the Taliban and other terrorist groups, according to James Carafano of the conservative Heritage Foundation.

snip

Trump also eased restrictions on U.S. military commanders. Leaders operating in Afghanistan are now allowed greater use of offensive American air power against the Taliban and have tripled the number of munitions dropped on insurgents.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley