Author Topic: Utah teacher fired for showing students classical paintings containing nudity  (Read 718 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Utah teacher fired for showing students classical paintings containing nudity
Fox News

A Utah teacher was fired earlier this month following complaints made against him after he showed images of classical paintings containing nudity in a classroom seen by fifth and sixth-graders.

Mateo Rueda, a former art teacher at Lincoln Elementary in Hyrum, Utah, said he planned to appeal his termination to clear his reputation, FOX13 reported.

The teacher said he was not aware that a set of educational postcards from the school’s library contained a few works depicting nudity when he handed them out during a lesson.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/30/utah-teacher-fired-for-showing-students-classical-paintings-containing-nudity.html

The story says the works were

The two images seen by students were the Impressionist-era portrait "Iris Tree" by Italian painter Amedeo Modigliani and the Rococo-style partial nude "Odalisque" by 18th-century artist Francois Boucher, the teacher said.

For classic art, I looked these up. Well, they might be a bit rowdy but apparently, the teacher probably didn't know they were in the postcards that were after all, from the school library according to the article.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:38:49 am by TomSea »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
He said he went through the educational postcards and took out the ones he felt were inappropriate for the students.

Bella Jensen, a fifth grader who was a student of Rueda’s, said he told her their lesson on Dec. 4 may make the class feel uncomfortable.

“Mr. Mateo explained to us that there might be some pictures that we'll find uncomfortable,”

Sounds to me like he thought he would educate some 5th graders with two pictures I also would say was inappropriate. He admitted previewing the offerings, and admitted some were not within the realm of comfort.

One not only showed breasts but pubic area hair, the other was a well endowed bottom of a heavyset lady (in fashion at the time). Neither should of been exposed to the kids, not even HS kids.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:20:10 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
5th and 6th graders.   Even Roy Moore wouldn't show those cards.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
5th and 6th graders.   Even Roy Moore wouldn't show those cards.

Had fun trolling all day haven't ya.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Had fun trolling all day haven't ya.

I am The gift that keeps on giving...
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."