Author Topic: The War on Driving to Come  (Read 1574 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The War on Driving to Come
« on: December 30, 2017, 06:46:56 pm »
Autonomous vehicles are about to collide with the American way.
By Charles C.W. Cooke
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455018/autonomous-vehicles-will-spark-government-efforts-ban-driving

At some point in the future, be it years, decades, or a century hence, the federal government will seek to
ban driving.

This, I’m afraid, is an inevitability. It is inexorably heading our way. The dot sits now on the horizon. As is common,
the measure will be sold in the name of public health. “Now that robots can do the work,” its bloodless advocates will
explain, “there’s no need for human involvement.” And from then: On, the snowball will roll.

Each time there’s a bad accident, the utilitarians will squeal: about the stupidity of the American people; about the
enormity of theretofore innocuous groups — “F*** AAA!”; about the antediluvian “fetish” that is costing American
lives. “In Sweden,” they will gripe, “they already . . . ” Besides, we regulate trains and airplanes. Why can’t we
outlaw the driver’s license?

Our debate will rest largely upon charts. The American Medical Association will find “no compelling reason to permit
the citizenry to drive,” and Vox will quote it daily. Concurring in this assessment will be The New England Journal of
Medicine, the Center for American Progress, and the newly rechristened Mothers against Dangerous Driving, for which
outfits “dangerous” will have become a lazily supplied synonym for “human.” Atop this endless statistical beat will be
a steady stream of mawkish anecdotes. “Joey was just 17.” “Sarah had three kids.” “Not a day goes by in which . . . ”
And pushed into the corner, as “flacks” and “extremists” and the owners of bloodstained hands, will be the dissenters.
“But what,” they will ask, “about liberty?”

As usual, the opponents of prohibition will be correct. Indeed, the threat to individual freedom that the driverless car
is set to pose is at this stage hard to comprehend . . .

. . . [E]veryone will suffer from the catastrophic loss of privacy. Any network of self-driving cars would, by definition,
necessitate total and unceasing tracking of their occupants . . . It is reasonable to test competency before permitting
drivers on the public roads, and it is fair for the state to ensure that wheels are wheels and engines are reliable and
airbags work upon request . . . It is not the role of government to force a free people into a dependency that they
had happily escaped, or to radically alter their capacity for rapid movement in a culture that everywhere presupposes
it. The designer Raymond Loewy recorded that “the American automobile has changed the habits of every member
of modern society.” So it has — and vastly for the better. Uncle Sam, and SkyNet, must back the hell away.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The War on Driving to Come
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »
Interesting article.  Say, did you know the TBR editing pane allows automatic word-wrapping?  With the way I have my windows sized (for easy reading), your lines always come out really skewed, like this:

At some point in the future, be it years, decades, or a century hence, the federal government
will seek to
ban driving.

This, I’m afraid, is an inevitability. It is inexorably heading our way. The dot sits now on the
horizon. As is common,
the measure will be sold in the name of public health.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 08:54:02 pm »
Where is that word wrap, buddy?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »
Where is that word wrap, buddy?

It's automatic, you don't have to do anything.  Either just type, or cut and paste the article.  On some articles, I've had to go back and replace all the extra line feeds with single spaces, which can be a bit of a pain, but almost nobody puts those line feeds in the articles anymore, they let the HTML do it for them.

It's because it's impossible to predict the appropriate margin sizes for all readers anymore.  Everybody sets their font sizes differently, and the size of the browser window affects it too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:22:41 pm »
Driverless cars are about as viable in the real world as cashless societies. It ain't going to happen for a long time. Well past any of ours or our children's lives.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 09:23:32 pm »
Driverless cars are about as viable in the real world as cashless societies. It ain't going to happen for a long time. Well past any of ours or our children's lives.

Like the Metric System, the rest of the world may adopt it, but the US will hold out for a long time.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 01:13:04 am »
They can have my car when they pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 01:17:36 am »
He's hardly the first to predict this. Its the only way to make self driving cars "safe".

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:23:41 am »
They can have my car when they pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel

At the bottom of the cliff.....
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:28:43 am »
Govt officials hate freedom.  They wish to control individuals in every manner.

This is one of them.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 01:52:14 am »
Cyber Liberty wrote:
"Say, did you know the TBR editing pane allows automatic word-wrapping?"

AT LAST, someone else finally notices and comments about this.
I've written to EasyAce about it before.

Below is what the article posted above looks like with NORMAL formatting.
By "normal" formatting I mean this:
- The only place a carriage return character is applied is at the END OF each paragraph.
- TWO CR's can be used to create space between paragraphs.

In EasyAce's post above, there is a CR at the end of EVERY LINE.
Thus, the haphazard formatting we see unless the window is enlarged "all the way to the right".
=====
At some point in the future, be it years, decades, or a century hence, the federal government will seek to  ban driving.

This, I’m afraid, is an inevitability. It is inexorably heading our way. The dot sits now on the horizon. As is common,  the measure will be sold in the name of public health. “Now that robots can do the work,” its bloodless advocates will  explain, “there’s no need for human involvement.” And from then: On, the snowball will roll.

Each time there’s a bad accident, the utilitarians will squeal: about the stupidity of the American people; about the  enormity of theretofore innocuous groups — “F*** AAA!”; about the antediluvian “fetish” that is costing American  lives. “In Sweden,” they will gripe, “they already . . . ” Besides, we regulate trains and airplanes. Why can’t we  outlaw the driver’s license?

Our debate will rest largely upon charts. The American Medical Association will find “no compelling reason to permit  the citizenry to drive,” and Vox will quote it daily. Concurring in this assessment will be The New England Journal of  Medicine, the Center for American Progress, and the newly rechristened Mothers against Dangerous Driving, for which  outfits “dangerous” will have become a lazily supplied synonym for “human.” Atop this endless statistical beat will be  a steady stream of mawkish anecdotes. “Joey was just 17.” “Sarah had three kids.” “Not a day goes by in which . . . ”  And pushed into the corner, as “flacks” and “extremists” and the owners of bloodstained hands, will be the dissenters.  “But what,” they will ask, “about liberty?”

As usual, the opponents of prohibition will be correct. Indeed, the threat to individual freedom that the driverless car  is set to pose is at this stage hard to comprehend...

...[E]veryone will suffer from the catastrophic loss of privacy. Any network of self-driving cars would, by definition,  necessitate total and unceasing tracking of their occupants . . . It is reasonable to test competency before permitting  drivers on the public roads, and it is fair for the state to ensure that wheels are wheels and engines are reliable and  airbags work upon request . . . It is not the role of government to force a free people into a dependency that they  had happily escaped, or to radically alter their capacity for rapid movement in a culture that everywhere presupposes  it. The designer Raymond Loewy recorded that “the American automobile has changed the habits of every member  of modern society.” So it has — and vastly for the better. Uncle Sam, and SkyNet, must back the hell away.
==============

The difference is obvious.
In the example I've reformatted above, the text "flows" as the window size is changed. As such, it's easily readable whether one needs a smaller or larger window.

I often pass up reading EasyAce's posts -- which might otherwise be worthwhile -- because they're so frustrating to make sense out of...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 02:13:23 am »

It comes with both the support of mass transportation and self driving cars. Lord knows how many times I went around and around with Willie Green at FR.
He was pretty open with his belief that roads and cars would just have to go to support his vast network of trains. Us rural people would just have to learn to live without roads or move to the cities so we would have access to the trains that would take us to where ever the trains wanted us to go.
He even threatened to call te FBI on me because I told him that if I were forced to live in the city I would make national news for a shooting spree.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 02:32:22 am »

It comes with both the support of mass transportation and self driving cars. Lord knows how many times I went around and around with Willie Green at FR.
He was pretty open with his belief that roads and cars would just have to go to support his vast network of trains. Us rural people would just have to learn to live without roads or move to the cities so we would have access to the trains that would take us to where ever the trains wanted us to go.
He even threatened to call te FBI on me because I told him that if I were forced to live in the city I would make national news for a shooting spree.
I almost forgot all about Willie the conservative statist. Now, I happen to like train travel myself, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be forced to it. To people like him the most appropriate question is, "Which part of individual freedom do you despise the most?"

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 02:48:03 am »
I almost forgot all about Willie the conservative statist. Now, I happen to like train travel myself, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be forced to it. To people like him the most appropriate question is, "Which part of individual freedom do you despise the most?"

I remember "Willie and his Choo-choos" very well....
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 03:07:58 am »
I remember "Willie and his Choo-choos" very well....
@Cyber Liberty
I've been a train lover all my life, ever since I got to ride these in or out of New York City when I was little . . .

("Low V" [for low voltage] train run by the IRT from 1925-1965. Four such cars have since been restored and used for fan trips on certain holidays.)

(The IND's R-1 cars, big beautiful with the motors almost singing! This rolling stock was also used on the A train---and for years one particular conductor would play Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train" when his trains came to stations!)

(I loved these Long Island Rail Road doubledeckers!)

(I used to ride the New York Central from the north Bronx to Poughkeepsie to visit my favourite aunt and uncle when I was well pre-driving . . . )

(At Croton-Harmon, I'd change trains to ride one like this from there to Poughkeepsie on that trip . . . )

. . . but Willie and his determination to take our rights to choose our transportation were no ride on the A train . . . unless A was for Ass . . .
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:09:12 am by EasyAce »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 03:16:12 am »
@Cyber Liberty
I've been a train lover all my life, ever since I got to ride these in or out of New York City when I was little . . .

("Low V" [for low voltage] train run by the IRT from 1925-1965. Four such cars have since been restored and used for fan trips on certain holidays.)

(The IND's R-1 cars, big beautiful with the motors almost singing! This rolling stock was also used on the A train---and for years one particular conductor would play Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train" when his trains came to stations!)

(I loved these Long Island Rail Road doubledeckers!)

(I used to ride the New York Central from the north Bronx to Poughkeepsie to visit my favourite aunt and uncle when I was well pre-driving . . . )

(At Croton-Harmon, I'd change trains to ride one like this from there to Poughkeepsie on that trip . . . )

. . . but Willie and his determination to take our rights to choose our transportation were no ride on the A train . . . unless A was for Ass . . .
I never got to ride trains, other than at amusement parks, but I do have memories of these old streetcars.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:18:47 am by GtHawk »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 03:34:02 am »
I've ridden trains a couple of times.  It's a leisurely way to travel across the country, and I wouldn't mind doing it again now that I can do it in better style.  Mrs. Liberty and I have talked about it a few times.  The Amtrak system is so disjointed that it's hard to go cross-country anymore.  They don't come anywhere near Phoenix.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:08 am »
I never got to ride trains, other than at amusement parks, but I do have memories of these old streetcars.

! No longer available
@GtHawk
I was born just too late to ride street cars in the Bronx where I was born, though I did see streetcar rails peek through the tar in a few places.

But I'd have loved them.

I did get to ride buses like these, though . . .

(The first air conditioned bus in New York in the 1950s; this one's been restored for fan trips.)

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:20 am »
Autonomous cars will become mandatory on limited access highways much sooner than some here seem to think.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 03:55:29 am »
Autonomous cars will become mandatory on limited access highways much sooner than some here seem to think.
And how did those limited-access highways work out?

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 03:55:34 am »

The hearse that carries your carcass to the rendering plant will most likely be driverless.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 04:11:08 am »
The hearse that carries your carcass to the rendering plant will most likely be driverless.

The Soylent Green factory.   :pondering:
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 05:51:30 am »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 02:49:30 am »
EasyAce wrote:
"(I used to ride the New York Central from the north Bronx to Poughkeepsie to visit my favourite aunt and uncle when I was well pre-driving . . . )"

I know this location well (although the pic was taken back in 1963, before I hired out).

This is about a mile north of Croton-Harmon on the Hudson line (just south of where "Croton North Station" once was).

In the background you can see the construction for the new limited access Route 9 that was being built.

I'm thinking the photographer was actually standing on a signal bridge (entrance to CD interlocking). CD tower was back on the right, about where the last car of the train is, out of the picture. Croton "West Yard" (freight yard) is behind the photographer, to his right.

I spent many days (and nights) on that track on the extreme right, pulling and pushing cars as we switched 'em out in the yard. Much of the traffic was for the (now gone) General Motors assembly plant in Tarrytown, which you used to see as you crossed the Tappan Zee Bridge. At least one job went further south to the Yonkers area, there was a big sugar plant on the river a little south of Yonkers station.

I never worked much passenger north of Croton; I did work south to Grand Central a good bit in 1980.

The Hudson Line was one of the best stretches of railroad around. I remember watching the Twentieth Century Limited sequence in Hitchcock's "North by Northwest", and being able to pick out what background scenery was going to be displayed onscreen before it went by!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 03:47:14 am »
The ultimate goal of leftists, to "save" the earth, is to pack everybody, except a small pct. of the population i.e. farmers, into huge cities where cars and other motorized vehicles will be banned.  Of course, guns will also be banned except for the security forces.  And the freedom of people to go outside their megalopolises will be severely restricted.
Leftists spend their nights dreaming about gaining power over people. Getting rid of their freedom of movement is such one aspect of their schemes.