Author Topic: Manchin: So, it Looks Like the Tax Bill I Voted Against Will -- Um -- Help A Lot of West Virginians  (Read 1125 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Manchin: So, it Looks Like the Tax Bill I Voted Against Will -- Um -- Help A Lot of West Virginians
Guy Benson

Of course it will, Joe.  More than 80 percent of Americans will get a tax cut next year under the new law, with nearly as many taxpayers enjoying relief through at least 2026 (and very likely beyond). 

Of the plan's tiny handful of 'losers' (less than five percent), most are high-income earners living in high-tax states who itemize their deductions -- as opposed to taking the now-doubled standard deduction, as 70 percent of filers currently do (a number that will grow).  It...doesn't sound like many West Virginians fit that profile. 

Manchin knew all of this, of course, but he voted with Chuck Schumer anyway, just as he's refused to help Republican Senators confirm a number of highly qualified judges nominated by President Trump.  Confronted with his tax reform vote on local radio, Manchin struggled to defend his decision:

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., on Wednesday struggled to explain his opposition to the Republican tax overhaul, conceding in a local radio interview that it contains “some good things” that could benefit his state. “There’s some good in this bill. I acknowledge that,” Manchin said, when West Virginia radio talk show host Hoppy Kercheval asked the senator why he opposed legislation that will benefit the “vast majority” of taxpayers and businesses in the state. “The things that you mention are correct. Initially people will benefit and see some changes in their taxes,” Manchin admitted...At times, it appeared that Manchin was wrestling with his answers, trying to justify his “no” vote without being too critical, and antagonizing Trump...Trump still has high approval ratings in West Virginia, a state he won over Democrat Hillary Clinton by nearly 42 percentage points. The senator could face blowback for voting against a measure Trump championed — and that was supported by the Republicans in his state. If voters in the working class-dominated state come to embrace the tax bill, Manchin’s re-election challenges could intensify. And it’s not just him. Democratic senators from Republican-leaning states facing similar potential hurdles over their opposition include Claire McCaskill of Missouri; Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota; and Joe Donnelly of Indiana.

Manchin said that he opposed the bill because it adds to the national debt, and because the individual rate cuts weren't permanent.

more at:  http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2017/12/22/manchin-so-it-looks-like-the-tax-bill-i-voted-against-will-um-help-a-lot-of-west-virginians-n2425940

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Manchin said that he opposed the bill because it adds to the national debt

......funny that he was a deaf mute for the entire eight years of Pres. Obama.    *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline RoosGirl

Since when do democrats care about adding to the national debt?  For that matter, since when do the latest batch of republicans care about adding to the national debt?

Offline Applewood

This is what happens when you toe the party line instead of serving the people who voted for you.  Did Manchin even read the bill before he voted?

I hope all those no votes running for re-election next year have their butts handed to them by the voters.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Old Joe is like a swinging dick.  It only gets hard when it is swinging to the left.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RoosGirl

Old Joe is like a swinging dick.  It only gets hard when it is swinging to the left.

:huh?:

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline RoosGirl

I figured if anyone knew what that meant it would be you.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Manchin: So, it Looks Like the Tax Bill I Voted Against Will -- Um -- Help A Lot of West Virginians"

Y'know, I never believed I was that smart, but guys like Manchin have me rethinkun it !!

Online mountaineer

Idiot leftist West Virginia newspaper thinks Mojo is the bee's knees:
Gazette editorial: Sen. Manchin deserves thanks

Despite the GOP’s stress on short-term benefits to middle-class taxpayers, the newly passed federal tax overhaul is a giant giveaway to the wealthy — a giveaway that will send the national debt soaring. Few West Virginians are in the extreme upper brackets to benefit from this bonanza. Most will suffer from the spending cuts this tax overhaul sets up.

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., deserves praise for trying to halt the “reverse Robin Hood” bill (taking from the poor to give to the rich). Manchin labors for the endangered Children’s Health Insurance Program and other safety net assurances that help average Mountain State families.

After the landmark vote in Congress, the West Virginia Center on Budget & Policy criticized Republicans for serving the rich, saying:

“All three West Virginia House of Representative members and Sen. Capito voted in favor of the tax bill, putting the interests of major corporations and wealthy households above everyone else.”

Historian Juan Cole wrote: “Yes, America, there is a class war, and you just lost it.”  ...

More than most states, West Virginia needs Social Security, Medicare, federal college scholarships, CHIP and other programs that give people a chance at education, employment and health. Republicans would sabotage this safety net, just to give tax breaks to billionaires and millionaires.

On this issue, Manchin is this state’s only member of Congress who truly served West Virginians.
*****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

Manchin: So, it Looks Like the Tax Bill I Voted Against Will -- Um -- Help A Lot of West Virginians

It looks like you sold out a lot of West Virginians.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Suppressed

Manchin said that he opposed the bill because it adds to the national debt

......funny that he was a deaf mute for the entire eight years of Pres. Obama.    *****rollingeyes*****

Totally dishonest B.S., @DCPatriot

He was outspoken back then, too.

Manchin: Obama has 'failed to lead'
By SCOTT WONG and JENNIFER EPSTEIN 03/08/2011 08:24 AM EST Updated 03/08/2011 05:05 PM EST
https://www.politico.com/story/2011/03/manchin-obama-has-failed-to-lead-050857

West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin ripped President Barack Obama on his budget proposals in a Senate floor speech Tuesday, a rare rebuke from a freshman Democrat who clearly is worried about the politics of deficit spending as he faces a tough reelection in 2012.

Manchin charged the president with failing to lead the way in reducing spending, while also criticizing Republicans for offering “partisan” and “unrealistic” budget proposals.

[...]

Manchin slams Dems over budget
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN 03/21/2011 06:30 AM EDT
https://www.politico.com/story/2011/03/manchin-slams-dems-over-budget-051639

Less than two weeks after he denounced President Barack Obama’s “failure to lead” on cutting deficit spending, freshman Sen. Joe Manchin is taking his argument home to his West Virginia constituents.

Warning that “we cannot ignore the fiscal Titanic of our national debt and deficit,” the Democrat stressed his unwillingness to simply rubber-stamp his party’s positions in a Monday morning speech at the University of Charleston.

“There are some in Washington who believe we can simply ignore the fiscal peril we face as a nation,” he said. “They are wrong.”

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

Mojo has a long history of talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Online DCPatriot

Totally dishonest B.S., @DCPatriot

He was outspoken back then, too.

[...]

I'm seeing nationally so-called 'respected' pundits and "Big Brains" predicted total Wall Street crash if Trump was elected.  Or, that the Party had no chance or inclination to 'Work' with him on tax cuts and repealing the Obamacare Mandate.

I was sure Mr. Manchin was going to cross over. 

Don't forget, he made rumblings all during his last Senatorial campaign...so it's not like he recognize his constituency. 

...nor less than he recognizes the tidal wave of Republican victories in States and counties/courthouses across the nation.

The only reason some Democrats are cross-checking their "Goombahs" ( @CatherineofAragon   ^-^ ) while rushing to the microphone? 

It's the ONLY thing they'll be able to brag about come reelection time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:43:23 pm by DCPatriot »

Online IsailedawayfromFR

So he looks like a total jackass.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mountaineer

Friday, December 29, 2017
Joe Manchin, Trumped
Don Surber

President Trump lit into West Virginia's senior Senator Joe Manchin. GOOD.

Manchin is a two-faced liar who greased the skids for his daughter, who rips people off with her overpriced Epi-Pens.

I have for seven years tried to explain to out of state conservatives that Joe Manchin is a Democrat, not a Republican in Democratic clothing. That means he will tell you any lie he thinks you want to hear just to get elected.  ...   More

This is what I've been trying to say. Joe Manchin is not a conservative Democrat. We should stop hoping he'll switch parties.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online IsailedawayfromFR

This is what I've been trying to say. Joe Manchin is not a conservative Democrat. We should stop hoping he'll switch parties.
the last conservative Democrat was Zell Miller who knew enough about Kerry that he campaigned for Bush.

The last liberal Democrat worth a Shit was Joe Lieberman who placed his country above his party.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:34:31 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online IsailedawayfromFR

this speech by Zell Miller is indicative of a patriotic American who will be long remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXSQ5BX6YXg

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
this speech by Zell Miller is indicative of a patriotic American who will be long remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXSQ5BX6YXg

Zell Miller was the last honest democrat IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien